Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my CPU dead?

Options
  • 24-12-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

So my new processor is not working:

I have a Q9550, and it worked briefly for a few days but then whilst flashing the BIOS, the PC began to hang on boot up, usually when trying to build DMI pool but often on the BIOS splash screen and in the BIOS too. I naturally blamed this on a bad flash and went as far as to source a new MoBo whereupon I discovered that a whole new board had the exact same problems which lead to me swap out every other component except the PSU and case.

Conclusion, old Dual Core cpu works, new Core 2 Quad does not.

Is there a possibility that I need to change some setting on my mobo/bios or do I have a blown CPU on my hands?

I tested the CPU on two gigabyte boards, a P35 and a P43 chipset. Award Bios in both.

Happy Christmas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

theCzar wrote: »
    So my new processor is not working:

I have a Q9550, and it worked briefly for a few days but then whilst flashing the BIOS, the PC began to hang on boot up, usually when trying to build DMI pool but often on the BIOS splash screen and in the BIOS too. I naturally blamed this on a bad flash and went as far as to source a new MoBo whereupon I discovered that a whole new board had the exact same problems which lead to me swap out every other component except the PSU and case.

Conclusion, old Dual Core cpu works, new Core 2 Quad does not.

Is there a possibility that I need to change some setting on my mobo/bios or do I have a blown CPU on my hands?

I tested the CPU on two gigabyte boards, a P35 and a P43 chipset. Award Bios in both.

Happy Christmas!

strange alright,normally if you have a blown cpu the mobo will beep cause it will think there is one missing. what model core 2 quad is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

he said it was a q9550 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

P35 doesn't support Penryn Quad without a bios flash, P43 should support it tho

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What RAM is in the machine? And does it have a switch/jumper for switching FSB speed classes?

I'm guessing the old CPU ran on FSB800 or FSB1066. The Q9550 runs on FSB1333. At the very least the P35 should support such a speed but there's a chance that the memory is being run at too high a frequency to remain stable for more than a few seconds as the Q9550 bumps the bus speed up but due to some switch/jumper/BIOS setting not getting set correctly the memory speed divider isn't being automatically dropped to compensate for it.

Otherwise it could be overheating issues, check PC Health Status in the BIOS to check temps. Or the increased power usage of the quad is making either a marginal PSU or dying VRM array cash cheques they can't pay for :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

That sounds reasonable Solitaire, I'll investigate that tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement