Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Building Experience

Options
  • 24-12-2009 12:34pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭

Firstly I would like to thank all of the Building and Upgrading forum for providing me with all the information I needed to build my very own PC from scratch. You guys are all very helpful and clever. From the guys who explained to me that I needed a 22'' monitor (as apposed to my initial idea of a 19''!), to the guys who explained that I should get a great/branded PSU, I love you all.

I decided to take the chance and buy from Pixmania. After reading all the negative reviews I was taking quite a risk. But I believe in making judgements of people for myself... and there was a 5 percent off everything discount on top of their Christmas Sale so I simply had to do it!

Ordered the following on Friday December the 11th:

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD4890 - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (11150-11-20R) € 111.85
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 500 GB - 7200 rpm - 16 MB - SATA (ST3500418AS) € 32.02
    Corsair CMPSU-650TXEU PC Power Unit - 650 W € 64.20
    XIGMATEK Asgard PC Tower Case - black (CPC-T45UB-U01) € 35.39
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 - AM2+/AM2 Socket - 770 Chipset - ATX € 51.03
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz Black Edition 125W Processor (HDZ965FBGMBOX) € 123.37
    Corsair XMS2 2 x 2 GB DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 CL7 PC Memory Kit (TWIN2X4096-8500C7) € 77.37
    Viewsonic VA2213w 22" TFT Screen (5 ms) € 94.65
    Samsung SH-S223C 22x Internal DVD±RW Rewriter Drive - black € 14.73
    Logitech Optical Mouse RX250 € 6.58
    Philips SHP8500 Headphones € 31.69
    PC LINE PCL-SK1 USB keyboard € 4.11

Total number of products sold by Pixmania € 646.99
    Discount: 31.35
    Delivery: 13.91
    Total Ex Vat: 628.55
    VAT:

Total to pay: pix.gif€ 763,69 Inc. VAT

All but the memory arrived the following thursday Thursday 17th. I had made the mistake to order memory that wasn't in stock!! So I got a 512 DDR2 stick from a friend to test the PC while the 4 gigs were on the way. They arrived today and work like a dream. My system is complete. Yay. ;)

This system is everything I wanted and more. And I am still smiling at the price.

Thank you Pixmania. I will keep ordering from you guys until something goes wrong, and even then it will probably have been my fault.

I thought I was cheaping out on the monitor and the case. But they are both amazing. For the price and for the quality, they are brilliant. The case especially, wow, screwless, loads of room, lovely style/colour, great fan etc etc. I'm in love.

Oh and Linux Mint is the greatest operating system I have ever used. Seriously try it with a LIVE CD or LIVE USB, it takes 2 seconds, its beautiful.

Overall, I have learned an awful lot from this experience. I have such a comprehensive understanding of my PC and how it works. This is such a great feeling. I have wanted to build a PC since I got my first one in 1998. I always knew I could do it but with all the things to take into account, expecially these days it was quite daunting. and in the end i couldn't have done it so effortlessly without this forum.

Happy Christmas everyone, ye have helped make the best present i have ever gotten.

Thanks for everything ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

May i be the frst to cogratulate you.

Also

PICS OR GTFO !

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Congrats, now you've made the step to the darkside it all gets better and more interesting.

I bet in a year you'll be posting up about overclocking and watercooling;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Looks like a good spec for the price.

Two questions
    How did u go about getting a discount?
    And how is the monitor? do u like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

congrats, but you know you are hooked now and will upgrade every 6 month/ year? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

congrats, but you know you are hooked now and will upgrade every 6 month/ year? :D

3 months is the sweet spot imo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

Well done man! I am not even more stoked on my own build! Had thought about ordering from pix, but that cost of delivery is very. cheap! How long did it take for it to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thepieman12345

nice one! always great felling after building a computer. i just ordered some stuff myself (motherboard cpu and ram) i might mak a thread for it. but pictures from yours would be nice. just remember you wil never buy a prebuild pc ever again unless its a laptop :D

Advertisement