Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'A Drunk Man's Words are a Sober Man's Thoughts'

• 24-12-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

'A Drunk Mans Words are a Sober Mans Thoughts'....... Just wondering how true is this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Siob185 wrote: »
    'A Drunk Mans Words are a Sober Mans Thoughts'....... Just wondering how true is this?

In vino veritas sounds so much more classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Absolute Bullsh1t. I lie through my teeth when drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Slightly true at times.
    In my case I'm more likely to confront tosspots/bully type folk.
    I really need to work out my aggression in other ways :eek:

Definitely not true when it comes to the whole beer goggles things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I tend to agree. Not so much lied through my teeth, but garnished the truth a tad. I would be more easy going in general when drunk. Less confrontational. I'm much more likely to tell the truth sober.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Wibbs wrote: »
    I tend to agree. Not so much lied through my teeth, but garnished the truth a tad. I would be more easy going in general when drunk. Less confrontational. I'm much more likely to tell the truth sober.

Yeah, I don't mean lie per se. But I will Exagerate HUGELY! If I tell you I love you when I am drunk, take it to mean you are a cool person who I like to drink with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Drunkeness makes me behave in both ways - sometimes I can be more forward with the truth, othertimes I can lie/exaggerate things. I don't know, it's strange! I don't think there's any truth in that statement though, as it can work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Total bull****. Some of the things I've woken up to find on my phone have really puzzled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I tend to tell half the truth when drunk. I'll say what I'm thinking and leave out the "but..." part of the sentence... Ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

amacachi wrote: »
    Total bull****. Some of the things I've woken up to find on my phone have really puzzled me.
    +1 When I'm drunk the stuff I say is priceless, I've recently agreed to get one the lads names inked on me for a joke. Not a fookin hope in hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I tend to tell the truth all the time. Drunk or no'. but when I'm drunk, I won't lie and I won't just tell the truth, I'll be absolutely brutally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I prefer this gem from Hemingway: "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tbh, no.

I'm not more honest when drunk, than when I'm sober, and often I'll say something far more bluntly than I would otherwise, and it wil sound very different than if I was sober and more articulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Tbh, no.

I'm not more honest when drunk, than when I'm sober, and often I'll say something far more bluntly than I would otherwise, and it wil sound very different than if I was sober and more articulate.

More blunt? :eek:

And come on, things become a mess when drinking. Hardly a recipe for truth and honesty.

Although I would say that one of my relationships started when a girl drunkenly confessed to fancying me. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think there's a certain level of tipsy where you're more likely to go 'ah feck it, ill tell the truth'... but beyond that point, i think much should certainly be put in with 'incoherent babbling'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Grew up with an alcoholic around and would completely disagree. Drunk people say all kinds of bollockss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 chrisr001

sober people think all kinds of bollox too.

I agree, drink loosens the barb-wired tongue
    among a certain faction.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

depends on what i drink. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Drunk people say all kinds of bollockss.

true..... but quite often the truth comes out.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    true..... but quite often the truth comes out.

Same in day-to-day life, separating it from the BS is another thing.

+1 When I'm drunk the stuff I say is priceless, I've recently agreed to get one the lads names inked on me for a joke. Not a fookin hope in hell

Sure I have about 20 trips abroad planned next year. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

In a way its true, i find it ALOT easier to chat with anyone when drunk because we all usually happen to be in the same state, but i dont act more/less truthful than i normally would be...but i tend to hug people more...like x10 fold:p

That being said, i can count on one hand the amount of times i've been properly drunk off my ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

No doubt about it I talk some amount of ****e when im drunk.. BUT sometimes the only time i say how i really feel is when im drunk. Depends what I talking about and who im talking to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hmmm interesting one.
    I think, on balance no. I've said and done things drunk that bear no relation to who I am sober, but also other times I've said incredibly honest direct things drunk that I wouldn't say sober. So on balance at any given time is what I say/do whilst drunk 'true'. No, if its something out of character then its not reflective of who I am. If its something I said drunk that I had been thinking but wouldnt' say sober then also No - cause I wouldn't have said it sober and sober I'm very honest anyhow - just because it is a thought I am thinking does not mean it is the only thought I am thinking on any given subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shouldn't this have been "A drunk woman's words are a sober woman's thoughts" considering this is tLL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I have a tendency to say the things that I normally wouldn't while drunk. Thankfully, I very rarely drink so it doesn't matter really. I know one girl who can turn into to a complete bitch when she is drunk. She becomes brutually honest and really cruel. She told a friend of mine that she only hung out with him because he was fun and that he wasn't any more and was no longer any fun. And then the next day said, sorry, I was drunk, didn't mean any of it. I hate drunks like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yes it's true, but not in the sense you meant it. When you see someone drunk you're seeing them, not some other person who takes over. Ignoring what they say cause that will likely be drunken bollix, how people act when drunk gives an insight into the person they hide most of the time. I've discovered the hang ups of numerous people this way.

That guy who starts throwing punches when drunk, is an aggressive violent bollix
    That guy whose very handy with the ladies despite it obviously not being on, is a creep
    That guy who scores the other guy but only when plastered is a bit confused.
    That girl who rips into you for her amusement is a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It depends on the type of drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

My (very) drunk words: "Eh thank way shove, way shove, all, watimeist, way shove, wear isma goat, half an udder pew end hid awn from ear". If sober thoughts ran along these lines, I wouldn't be the dazzling raconteur that I am.

That said, I don't think being drunk is an excuse for being an ásshole. How you are when drunk is as much a part of you as how you are when sober.
    How do we know you were not drunk when you wrote this? Or that you lie when sober? My head is starting to hurt ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

in my case this is a true to an extent. if im drunk i will say exactly what i mean without thinking. if im sober ill tell the truth unless it will hugely upset someone or cause a load of trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

In my experience, this is mostly true. That said, i'd have to be at the fairly tipsy stage, rather than the absolutely fúcked stage of drunkedness.

For example, last week I said/did something drunk that I actually meant but wished I had said it a different way and different time, except I was drunk and stupid. Now things are very awkward between a friend and myself :(

Advertisement