Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design course -> employment ?

• 24-12-2009 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I hope I'm in the right place (mods feel free to delete/move)

I am looking to get into software design, I am currently learning C++ and I have a little knowledge of HTML.
    Could someone recommend a good software design course.
    Preferably one that can be done in the west of Ireland but this is not essential.
    I am interested in learning something that would lead to employment in the relatively near future(Big ask, I know).

I hope that's enough info, any comments are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

How old are you, what's your background.

The standard route would be to do a degree in Computr Science or simlar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Hi "p".
    I'm getting on now, over the hill really (28).
    I have an art's degree to finish at the moment but to be honest I've lost all interest in it, I've always felt at home with computers and I have a natural aptitude for maths. I don't think I could afford to do a CS degree so I'd be looking for something with quick\small returns.
    I realise that today's job market is pretty bleak so I wouldn't be expecting much more than min wage to start off.
    I'd hope to add to my education while working if possible.

what do ye think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

28 is nothing, I know plenty of friends who've changed careers after working for a few years, I wouldn't worry about that.

It sounds like you'll probably get on fine, but if you don't actually know how to program there's so much you're missing compared to someone who's done a CS degree. I know you can do evening courses and diplomas in computer science and programming. Long term, that would be a great idea for you in the longer term. I would suggest finishing your current degree. Even if you're bored it'll probably make a lot more sense career-wise, whatever you do. In the meantime, i'd say get a good book and keep teaching yourself and see how you enjoy it. I think it'd be a good idea if you could find someone who programs and ask them to mentor you.

You could easily learn something like PHP and start messing around web development, but that's not really the best way to learn good program well. When you get the grips of programming and if you keep up C++ it would b good to try look at some open source projects and then try contribute to them.

Advertisement