Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uninstalling IE and WMP

• 24-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Hi. I installed Windows 7 last night and it's working perfectly. But there are two things that I really don't want:
    Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer.

Could somebody tell me how to unistall these two because I really don't want them, and they're taking up valuable space.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

Control Panel >> Programs & Features >> Turn Windows Features On or Off

>> Internet Explorer 8 - Uncheck
    >> Media Features >> Windows Media Player - Uncheck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Jay P wrote: »
    Hi. I installed Windows 7 last night and it's working perfectly. But there are two things that I really don't want:
    Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer.

Could somebody tell me how to unistall these two because I really don't want them, and they're taking up valuable space.

Valuable Space? What is this, the nineties? Hard Drives are virtually free these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

testicle wrote: »
    Valuable Space? What is this, the nineties? Hard Drives are virtually free these days!

*shrugs*
    I'd just rather not have them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

IE is a part of the OS so cannot be fully removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I was under the impression that Microsoft weren't allowed to have IE pre-installed in Europe due to anti-competition or some lark like that? I remember reading something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Jay P wrote: »
    I was under the impression that Microsoft weren't allowed to have IE pre-installed in Europe due to anti-competition or some lark like that? I remember reading something like that.

You're confusing the notion of Internet Explorer the browser being given an unfair advantage over other browsers by being preinstalled and the notion of Internet Explorer the browser being an integrated part of the OS.

Microsoft were threatening to ship an E Edition of Windows 7 without Internet Explorer, but changed their minds.

While you probably can completely remove both IE and WMP if you really wanted to, I can't imagine it's going to be a recommended move and I don't really understand why you'd wish to do so rather than just installing and using alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

The other day I was running a tool that wouldn't run properly, solely based on that I didn't have IE set as default browser at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I'd leave IE alone - some applications use ActiveX which is part of IE. From memory, only IE has the ActiveX component. I don't think you can install ActiveX for other browsers.

Advertisement