Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright Issue

Options
  • 24-12-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭

So I've got an idea for a website that in order to be a success would rely heavily on the use of copyrighted images mainly in relation to movies.

I'm just wondering how the likes of imdb, rotten tomatoes, metacritic and a whole host of similar sites approach this issue?

Anybody got any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's a "fair use" clause in American copyright law that allows for material to be used for certain reasons without permission. Critics / reviews falls under that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most of the images on IMDB are press images anyway, so it's not really an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Spent quite a bit of time over the past few days reading up on this and I'm more confused than ever.

Seems like the US 'fair use' law is slightly more flexible than those governing other countries.

From what I can tell a site using screenshots of movies would be in breach of copyright laws but then how does a site like Jinni get away with it.

Advertisement