Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given bank holiday as "Day off"

Options
  • 24-12-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if this is correct. I work in a retail store that is closed on the 1st of January. The boss has give that day as a "Day off" to all the full time staff. So instead of having your two days off plus the bank holiday we only have two days off. Is this illegal or just him being a knob?

Oh yeah, looks like the 28th is a bank holiday too so should we have that off as well?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if this is correct. I work in a retail store that is closed on the 1st of January. The boss has give that day as a "Day off" to all the full time staff. So instead of having your two days off plus the bank holiday we only have two days off. Is this illegal or just him being a knob?

Oh yeah, looks like the 28th is a bank holiday too so should we have that off as well?

Thanks

When you say '2 days off' what do you mean? You wouldn't normally get additional days off along with the bank holidays- unless you took annual leave (which would have to be arranged with your Manager). If an office is closed at Christmas on a particular day, which is not a bank holiday- you can be forced to have this counted as one of your days of annual leave. It can be annoying as hell- but thats life. If you do work a bank holiday- you are not entitled to have 2 days off in-lieu- legally its still only a day in lieu you'd get (most give 2 days in lieu though).

S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

28th is not a public holiday (and public holidays is the only type of day that matters), 26th is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Hi Guys,

Thanks

yes he can, i worked in dunnes stores for years and they did this every so often.

you should however still be entitled to bank holiday pay along with a full week wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nody wrote: »
    28th is not a public holiday (and public holidays is the only type of day that matters), 26th is.

As the 26th falls on a Saturday this year, the 28th is counted as the public holiday that the 26th would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Also you should be paid for the bank holiday so you will be working 4 days + the pay for the day off of the bank holiday on the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

pithater1 wrote: »
    As the 26th falls on a Saturday this year, the 28th is counted as the public holiday that the 26th would have been.

This is incorrect - the public holiday is Saturday 26th December.

You are however entitled to one of the following for the Saturday, even if you don't normally work on the Saturday:
    • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    • An additional day of annual leave
    • An additional day's pay
    • The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.

If you have a contract that stated you're allowed to two days off per week (which I think is your question?) then yes, the Saturday can count as one of those days. But you will still be compensated for this day as above.

Advertisement