Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation in my roof !?

• 24-12-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I have recently made an old stone outbuilding my workshop. It has an old asbestos roof. It was so cold in there I recently put in a ceiling of Quintherm polystyrene insulation. It is now dripping condensation which you can hear and it's coming out through the gaps between the sheets. It has not been raining or anything and so this is pure condensation. Before I put the ceiling in it dripped also, but I don't think as much.

I just cannot get my head around this amount of condensation. I have not had any heaters on or anything today, I just went in to check stuff and found this line of wet on the floor where it has been dripping through the gaps between the sheets and could hear it dripping. Is this moisture just coming from the old stone walls or what ? It's doing my head in. Do you think maybe a dehumidifier would help, or do I need a new roof ?

All ideas appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

I've just had another thought, there was of course a hard frost on the roof this morning, which has melted. Could it be that the old asbestos is absorbent causing the moisture to drip through ? If this is the case is there anything I can treat it with externally to seal it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

we have the same problem in old farm sheds. over time the sheeta seem to crack around the nails. when the frost thaws it runs in the cracks around the nails. try silicone but DO NOT step of the sheets!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

cork1 wrote: »
    we have the same problem in old farm sheds. over time the sheeta seem to crack around the nails. when the frost thaws it runs in the cracks around the nails. try silicone but DO NOT step of the sheets!!!!

What if I was to step only over the areas where the wooden supports were underneath?I don't believe it i s the nails. When you look up to the underside of the roof you can see water droplets hanging from underneath the corrugations in many places, but only really when it has been raining and like now when the frost is thawing. Interestingly it only does this on one side and that is the side where I have had to remove a dense growth of ivy. This see to have rendered the asbestos a litte porous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

the safest thing to do is get a long plank that spans 3 supports and walk on that

Advertisement