Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reliable Diesel

• 24-12-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Folks,

I am looking to buy an 06/07 diesel in January. Its a toss up between a bmw 320d m sport touring, audi avant tdi s-line, lexus is220d saloon or a honda accord cdti saloon.
    Anybody got any experience of which would be the most reliable long term, or any other relaible diesels to add to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Honda will be the pick of the bunch reliability wise, it's also the biggest for passenger space.

If anyone suggests an Octavia......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ford Mondeo TDCi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Turnstyle wrote: »
    I am looking to buy an 06/07 diesel
    If you need reliability, I would go for the Subaru Legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote: »

Superb?

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    If you need reliability, I would go for the Subaru Legacy.

diesel only available since 08

Accord would be my choice...the S-Type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It depends on whether he'll be carrying much in the boot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you can at all try get an 08. If you are keeping it for a couple of years the extra cost would be offset a lot by tax savings

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Honda will be the pick of the bunch reliability wise, it's also the biggest for passenger space.

Agreed. I heard reports of average enough fuel economy however, and also a thirst for oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm excellent diesel engine...great mile muncher...

• Advertisement

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm excellent diesel engine...great mile muncher...

the 2.4 is the one to get.....

Agreed. I heard reports of average enough fuel economy however, and also a thirst for oil.

We got a trade in of one of the first Accord diesels with 150000 miles on it and it was as tight as an 08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

Can anyone tell me has there really been a big drop in prices due to the recession?

After looking at Autotrader and on dealers websites, the only models that are going cheap are the ones with a hundred thousand miles on it.

Otherwise its business as usual with just a few percent knocked off a year old car?

while im here, does anyone have any thoughts on the Audi Q5 diesel ?
    anyone test driven one?
    Im not after a big SUV,but would prefer 4 wheel drive after doing a fair bit of driving in the recent weather.

any guesses on what sort of money I could sell a mint condition 2005 M Sport BMW525d with Auto/Tip and Leather with 4 new tyres.
    Full Bmw service history and only 40,000 miles?

Autotrader just dosnt seem to have any low milage examples and it would appear nearly every model for sale in Ireland is the 520d so I dont have much to compare it to.
    I know lots of BMW dealers are going through hard times but they offered me not great money for mine while still wanting top dollar for their stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

personally i would chose the bmw 320d but i would always choose bmw :D
    second would be the honda accord fantastic diesel in them and the new ones are gorgeous
    for looks would have to be the alfa 159 but reliability might be an issue although alfa supposed to be a lot better in recent years
    if i wasnt such a fan of bmw i would go Honda ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Turnstyle wrote: »
    Anybody got any experience of which would be the most reliable long term, or any other relaible diesels to add to the list?
    What exactly do you need/want it for?

Because in your short-list you have both saloon's and estates mentioned so its hard to know what it's primarily to be used for ;)

Advertisement