Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Dropped Unlimted downloads?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Calebmcd wrote: »
    http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband_offnet.aspx

No mention on there site anymore except for the quote section!
    Has it been dropped?

This happened months ago. They refused to honour the contracts they agreed to and continued to lie about their packages for several months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

So what is the limit now, i was stuck between them and Vodafone.
    Vodafone have a 60Gb limit!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Calebmcd wrote: »
    So what is the limit now, i was stuck between them and Vodafone.
    Vodafone have a 60Gb limit!

It's 170 gig with a warning being sent at 80% of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

UTV's is about 250GB afaik, but you have to pay a tad extra if you want that, otherwise there caps are tiny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really wish companies would just say you have a xxxGB limit on their product pages instead of this bullshít unlimited downloads subject to fair usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I really wish companies would just say you have a xxxGB limit on their product pages instead of this bullshít unlimited downloads subject to fair usage.

In fact maybe if we had say a regulator in this area who would put in place regulations that force companies to state clearly what their package limits are.... Oh yeah conreg... Pftttt :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Isp's cannot do this as then it would become a target. I'd liken them to stop advertising it as being unlimited when its not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Isp's cannot do this as then it would become a target.

I've seen this statement thrown about a bit and while I can see how many could think that, it doesn't seem very likely to me. People who don't exceed their cap aren't suddenly going to start downloading stuff just because they've still got some of their download cap left. For the download whores, they're likely to push the limits when they first get the connection to see where the line is or wait until they get sent a letter. So you have the download whores maxing out their connection and downloading 100s of GBs a month until the ISP tells them to keep it to a certain limit.

Plus eircom and vodafone advertise their download limits and it isn't a problem for them. I think fastcom do it as well but good luck trying to reach it on their connection, loading a web page was too much for fastcom at times when I was with them. Why can't upc, smart etc. do the same. The download cap can be a very important part of the connection for some people if they have a lot of usage so knowing this before they sign up would be something they'd need to do. Currently they have to trawl forums like this to get that information and after they sign the contract there is nothing to stop the isp changing the download limit because it usually doesn't say that in the contract.

Advertisement