Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free hardrive clone program.

• 24-12-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I need a free program to clone, copy everything on drive c 80gig ,to my new hardrive 500gig.CAN anyone recommend one ,im copying 30gig of data approx.
    DO i need to use a specific program to make the new drive bootable.I partitioned
    in ,formatted it in ntfs, set partition 1 to active.MY pc is very small,theres only room for 1 hardrive,so i wanna take out the 80g drive and replace it.
    IS there a prog that makes a bootable cdr that will format and partition a hardrive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I need a free program.....

CloneZilla - > http://clonezilla.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legfend

I dont understand why you need this program, cant you just use an external hard drive? Or do you not have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Legfend wrote: »
    I dont understand why you need this program, cant you just use an external hard drive? Or do you not have one?

If he just copies all his data to an external drive he wont be able to boot off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Legfend, Have a read of the following: -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I HAVE an external drive ,but i wanted to do a complete copy,hd to hd, to avoid
    having to install ten progs,3 browsers, and mobo device drivers etc.Just to save time.Thanks for the advice ,i have it all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legfend

Ah ok, didnt realise you wanted to copy you're entire system config. Thats handy alright, might do it myself if I need a hard drive upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hamo31

I have used Norton Ghost many times for doing exactly that, works well. You install the second drive in your computer and start norton ghost from a bootable CD and run ghost. Then you select to clone from drive C to drive D. When finished, you remove the old drive and make the new one the main hard disk, boot up.
    Hamo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

hamo31 wrote: »
    I have used Norton Ghost many times for doing exactly that, works well. You install the second drive in your computer and start norton ghost from a bootable CD and run ghost. Then you select to clone from drive C to drive D. When finished, you remove the old drive and make the new one the main hard disk, boot up.
    Hamo

He doesn't have room for a second drive
    MY pc is very small,theres only room for 1 hardrive

Advertisement