Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€10,000 Budget for new car

• 24-12-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

The mother is looking to replace her old Peugeot 106 for something under the scrappage scheme. Her budget is €10,000 cash plus whatever scrappage discounts she can get. The car must be a hatchback, 5 door and reliable.

What would your advice be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wasn't the Renault Clio the main example taken under the recent topic of the scrappage scheme thread here as being great value for money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

5 door Clio is €14,600 excluding delivery and charges. An old 106 will only probably fetch the €1,500 scrappage. The 8990 is including a trade in of 3180 excluding the scrappage or (302) extra Govt Scheme.

Not going to work here unless the budget is much higher.

Have a read of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766477&highlight=renault+clio&page=2

If I read it correctly you can have a brand new Clio Royale for less than €10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Fiat are advertising the Grande Punto 5 door for 9995 and Panda 5 door for 6995. Prices include gov scrappage discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go with the Clio. great value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A new Clio can be bought for a little over 10k now. Great value, despite what people think about Renault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Clio and Grande Punto for under 10k are great bargains, but if I were OPs mother I'd seriously think about BrianD3's second suggestion of the Panda. A grown up car by all means, it will keep its value a bit better than the others, will be a bit cheaper to run and - crucially - will leave 3k in her pocket. Under 7k for a Panda is incredibly good value for money imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

Or for approximately 10k she could buy a BMW Series 1 2004-2005. They are very safe and quite reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Good suggestions, very reluctant on FIAT thought, been stung badly by the last 2 generations of Punto, 2 low mileage cars both with expensive rear suspension issues and 8V head gasket failures. Are the Grande Punto and Panda still susceptible to these problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickmcgee

despite what people think about Renault.
    People are right about Renault. Dont go there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

mickmcgee wrote: »
    People are right about Renault. Dont go there

I think you'll find your wrong there pal. Its an old, old reputation that they have shaken. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are the Grande Punto and Panda still susceptible to these problems?

No.

I think I would choose the Clio over the Panda simply as the Clio is from a class above the Panda, it would be more comfortable, a fresher design and probably be alot more refined on the road. New Ford Ka can be bought for around €8,500 now but there is no 5 door option.

Hard to beat the Clio to be honest on value alone and ignore the comments from the man down the pub. The Clio is as probably the most reliable car Renault produces and is one of the best looking cars in it's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wouldn't have any worries about reliability on the Punto, Clio or Panda. All of them have at least a 3 year warranty and all do well in the ADAC breakdown tables (Pannenstatistik)

The one concern I'd have about the Panda is the design is several years old and it has a 3 star EuroNCAP rating. The passenger compartment was strong in the frontal impact but the rating was dragged down by a mediocre side impact performance.

Maybe consider the Hyundai i20? A new design with a 5 star rating and AFAIK they are being advertised for <10k

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

clio seems the best bet by far, they are pretty reliable and curretly incredible value compared to the other cars in the class. We had one in the family for 10 years with no issues.

Advertisement