Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else have no water? Frozen taps!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Common sense if you are going away in this kind of weather to drain the pipes and turn off the water.

Plumbers will be rich...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

I have Just heard on Ocean FM that DCC are trunning off the water at night to save it as they are saying it low and there is a lot of leeks in pipes need to save water for daytime use.

I would this will cause more bursted pipes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Only way round that is to drain the system for the night..
    peewee3ie wrote: »
    I have Just heard on Ocean FM that DCC are trunning off the water at night to save it as they are saying it low and there is a lot of leeks in pipes need to save water for daytime use.

I would this will cause more bursted pipes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Neighbour had the insurance man around today after the pipes froze and burst in the attic and the sitting room roof caved in such a mess. He told her about a brilliant fan heater that Mc Groartys in Donegal are selling. It only costs 20 euro and it kicks in once the temperature goes to 3 degrees or below..great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mckayd

Just left an inlaws holiday home and it had a burst pipe in the attic. Sitting room destroyed. A total mess.
    This seems to be a major problem with the current weather conditions which looks like its going to be here for another week or so.

I would suggest that all property owners check their water tanks on a regular basis. Ways of iliminating this is to allow heat to transfer from the lower floors into the attic space. Another method would be leave the cold water tap running in the bathroom. I know this isn't much help to you now but it may help others be aware of the situation.

Has the insurance company been notified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

mckayd wrote: »
    Another method would be leave the cold water tap running in the bathroom.

Not a good idea on a number of fronts: reservoir supplies are at an extreme low right now and this is a terrible waste. In addition, as a direct result of low water supplies, water is being cut off to many places in the county from 8 at night until 8 in the morning.
    A better idea is firstly to ensure that all pipes and the tank itself are properly lagged and then to consider some form of very low level heating in the attic, even a lightbulb (not the low energy ones) for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

This seems to be a major problem with the current weather conditions which looks like its going to be here for another week or so.

I would suggest that all property owners check their water tanks on a regular basis. Ways of iliminating this is to allow heat to transfer from the lower floors into the attic space. Another method would be leave the cold water tap running in the bathroom. I know this isn't much help to you now but it may help others be aware of the situation.

Was just looking at www.yr.no and the next 10 days have the same weather forecast, its far from over yet. The plumbers of the country are going to be kept busy.I have a tap dribbling away outside the house, just enough to keep the water moving.
    Has the insurance company been notified?

Insurance company was notified alright

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Not a good idea on a number of fronts: reservoir supplies are at an extreme low right now and this is a terrible waste. In addition, as a direct result of low water supplies, water is being cut off to many places in the county from 8 at night until 8 in the morning.
    A better idea is firstly to ensure that all pipes and the tank itself are properly lagged and then to consider some form of very low level heating in the attic, even a lightbulb (not the low energy ones) for the duration.

I also have a bulb beside the inlet into the tank, it keeps the chill out of the air and therefore should be frostfree. As for running the taps, it dosn't need to be gushing out of the tap, a dribble is sufficient and this will keep the water moving. If the water pipe freezes and bursts, a lot more water would be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

hi all... is the water still off in the Twin Towns area or Donegal Town? I hear on the news that Donegal, Carlow and Clare are still very low on water.. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not off in Twin Towns or at least in my area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement