Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Compatible Modem

• 24-12-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

My Mum has a new PC running Windows 7 and the modem she had with her old XP PC isn't compatible with Windows 7. It is a Voyager 105 ADSL USB modem.

Can anyone recommend a (USB) modem which is compatible with Windows 7? I need to buy one ASAP so I can install it and make sure it's running smoothly before I go home on 3 Jan so I don't want to buy the first one offered to me by a salesperson!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should use Ethernet, not USB. No drivers needed, compatibility not an issue, not shite.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get an ADSL router with a network connections.

will work with any PC - handy if you bring your laptop round

will also provide some protection from nasties on the internet

on old PC's USB adsl would use some CPU time and might be slightly slower

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Thanks for your replies!

My Mum will be the only one using the internet at a time so there is no need for a wireless network. Is there something she can use solely for one PC running Windows 7?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For a straightforward wired ethernet connection, I think any auld modem will do. Ebay could be your friend here or adverts.ie. Unless she is living some distance away from the exchange, like a couple of miles out of town/the village. Then play it safe and get one of the brand name (D-link, netgear, linksys, NOT Belkin) routers in the shops. You'll have to get a router I expect. Modems by themselves are rare in the shops these days. And make sure you're not sold anything which has "faster wireless" as obviously that's totally useless to you. Plain 54Mbps speed wireless is standard.

Also, in case you're worried, naturally the wireless part of the router can be switched off to stop any unsolicited access.

Advertisement