Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Axle???

• 24-12-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

was driving home from work last night, being very careful, crawling along, no problem. turned into the housing estate entrance and the ****ing ice caught me!!!

front left wheel belted the kerb and the car hoped onto the kerb and down again. nursed it home and into the driveway, just!!!

looking at it again today, the tyre never deflated which surprised me. The alloy looks bad though, badly dented and cracked. Not much movement in the wheel either. No huge hassle moving the steering wheel but the damaged wheel doesn't move much. When both wheels should be straight the damaged one isn't!!! Will get it to my mechanic next week!

Any suggestions what damage i've done?? 2002 Mercedes C220 CDI Coupe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like the steering linkage or the tie rod end is broken. Is the wheel standing "vertical"? if yes, then it is possible that there may be little or no damage to the suspension. You really need to get someone in the know to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

oh ya the wheel is still verticial, i drove it into the driveway and could drive it out again when necessary, it is just at a slight angle and maybe only moves 50% as much as it should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

You almost certainly bent one of the suspension arms, based on your description. You'll need to get the bent arm replaced and the steering alignment checked afterwards.

BTW, there is no "axle" as such in most modern cars. Independent suspension on each wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Did exactly the same thing myself a few weeks ago (wet roads and 'enthusiastic' driving caught me instead of ice:D)

Turned out bent wishbone, cheap(ish) fix. Just DO NOT try driving the car, will only worsen the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

JustLen wrote: »
    Turned out bent wishbone, cheap(ish) fix. Just DO NOT try driving the car, will only worsen the problem

Like JustLen I'd be inclined to be thinking wishbone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

thanks for the advice gents :) much appreciated

i wont be driving it, can't really :(

happy christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Same thing happened to me, dad fell badly on ice, driving over to drive family to hospital while he got ambulance, into an 18" kerb at about 10mph going around a corner. Front right of the bumper is scored(but not cracked in any way, half of the alloy is scuffed on the outer rim with one gouge.

Car was pulling to the right enough that I needed to keep the steering wheel angled at about 15degrees, swapped front wheels around to see what the damage was and if it would help.

Nothing cracked, broken or loose - did I get away with just tracking damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

Tragedy wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, dad fell badly on ice, driving over to drive family to hospital while he got ambulance, into an 18" kerb at about 10mph going around a corner. Front right of the bumper is scored(but not cracked in any way, half of the alloy is scuffed on the outer rim with one gouge.

Car was pulling to the right enough that I needed to keep the steering wheel angled at about 15degrees, swapped front wheels around to see what the damage was and if it would help.

Nothing cracked, broken or loose - did I get away with just tracking damage?

Probably bent a tie rod or track rod end on the steering.Tracking would probably sort it.Get a mechanic to check for damage first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

alo1587 wrote: »
    Probably bent a tie rod or track rod end on the steering.Tracking would probably sort it.Get a mechanic to check for damage first though
    Bah humbug, was hoping I could do the tracking first and see if that fixed it, but if it didn't I'd end up going twice.

Advertisement