Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Care Bill Passed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Slainte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

How will they pay for this health care bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Let the increases in health care insurance premiums begin! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Pocono Joe wrote: »

Well you're already paying dozens of times more than anyone else in the western world, so why not a little more? Incidentally, that's what the public option was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

SLUSK wrote: »
    How will they pay for this health care bill?

Given how much Americans pay on private healthcare costs, taxation combined with lower premiums is perfectly possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Remember, this bill still might fail. It still needs to go back to the House and a number of Dems in the House have voiced concerns over any bill that does not contain a Public Option or at the least a Medicare expansion. Also, if the Dems try and get rid of the Stupak Amendment they could lose even more votes. There are still a number of road bumps ahead before Healthcare reform passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Not only that but the 8% tax increase as well. And we still have to see if Cap & Tax goes through which would practically double our utility bills.

I'll be laughing at the College kids in a few years when they have to start paying for this and they start complaining about all these taxes.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Not only that but the 8% tax increase as well. And we still have to see if Cap & Tax goes through which would practically double our utility bills.

Where are you getting the 8% figure from and what tax bracket will it affect?

kev9100 wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 8% figure from and what tax bracket will it affect?

Here's a hint. You won't find that on boldprogressives. Every US taxpayer will be paying that extra 8%.

Here's a hint. You won't find that on boldprogressives. Every US taxpayer will be paying that extra 8%.

For every future politician out there, I want you to study this answer from JohnMc1 very carefully. It is a perfect example of ignoring the question asked and then citicising someone for an act that he himself is guilty of. Out of interest, what site would I get it from?

• Advertisement

For every future politician out there, I want you to study this answer from JohnMc1 very carefully. It is a perfect example of ignoring the question asked and then citicising someone for an act that he himself is guilty of. Out of interest, what site would I get it from?

For every future tax payer and one with entitlement issues please study kev9100's posts. If you are going to push for entitlement programs you should know how its going be paid.

Well as far as I am aware, the House bill will be paid for with a surcharge of 5.4 % on incomes over 500,000 per person or 1,000,000 per family. The senate bill will be paid for with a reduction in certain tax credits and a new tax on high priced premiums.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20091224/ts_usnews/howthesenatebillwouldchangehealthcare

So I ask again. Where did you get the 8% from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Drunk with power, drunk with self righteous, and just plain drunk… this is who is writing our health care reform.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Y9X5ggxzA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Drunk with power, drunk with self righteous, and just plain drunk… this is who is writing our health care reform.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Y9X5ggxzA

beat me to it , too drunk to drive but eh erm..................

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Where's the 8% from then? kev9100 has kindly stated where the 5.4% is from and I don't like timewasting. I suspect, somehow, that I may end up needing to examine more closely what's being posted on this subforum judging by the extra reading I've done on it today.

Any chance were going to see that 8% link any time soon John? Or can we put that idea into the "It sounded good at the time even though I have no proof" pile?:D

Just wondering.

while it doesn't say 8% it states you will be paying more because if this.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107204574471292249934348.html

The last couple of pages of this give a projection of how much we will be paying by the time its fully implemented.

http://cwa.3cdn.net/369109d8b2e45264c5_vrm6ybzgi.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Overheal wrote: »

We will mull this over tomorrow, during the airing of grievances.

A bit late for that, everyone knows that Festivus is on the 23rd, so you were already 2 days late when you posted

I am sorry john but those links dont stack up. For one they analyse the bill that came out from the Senate Finance Committee in October. The Senate bill has changed drastically since October. Give us the links that show the current senate bill (which has been scored by the CBO and been found to reduce the deficit) will increase taxes by 8% for all americans.

Every US taxpayer will be paying that extra 8%.

• Advertisement

I am sorry john but those links dont stack up. For one they analyse the bill that came out from the Senate Finance Committee in October. The Senate bill has changed drastically since October. Give us the links that show the current senate bill (which has been scored by the CBO and been found to reduce the deficit) will increase taxes by 8% for all americans.

You really think it changed that much? And LOL at this reducing the defecit? Been on boldprogressives again I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

Yeah kev, listen to JohnMc. Debase opposing arguments by typing LOL and asking pointless questions. Oh, and get your info from reliable sources, like Dick Morris

Yeah kev, listen to JohnMc. Debase opposing arguments by typing LOL and asking pointless questions. Oh, and get your info from reliable sources, like Dick Morris

If you really believe a Healthcare bill that will cost $1T or more is somehow magically going to be "Defecit Neutral" or "Defecit Reducing" then me just typing LOL is you getting off easy.

I never said any such thing JohnMc, I was just helping you win the argument, why are you being angry :(

I never said any such thing JohnMc, I was just helping you win the argument, why are you being angry :(

I was pointing out that kev believes that this bill will somehow be "Defecit Neutral" or "Defecit Reducing" It is laughable.

I was pointing out that kev believes that this bill will somehow be "Defecit Neutral" or "Defecit Reducing" It is laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7d_e9lrcZ8

While I didn't agree about the 9-11 stuff I did agree with everything else he said. Honestly he should be President instead of Mr. Smoke and Mirrors [or Teleprompters in his case]

While I didn't agree about the 9-11 stuff I did agree with everything else he said. Honestly he should be President instead of Mr. Smoke and Mirrors [or Teleprompters in his case]

http://www.dickmorris.com/blog/2009/11/14/painting-a-bull%E2%80%99s-eye-on-new-york-city/#more-670

Come on John you can do better than that. This bill will reduce the deficit. You might not want to believe it, but its true. Just look up the CBO report.

• Advertisement

Come on John you can do better than that. This bill will reduce the deficit. You might not want to believe it, but its true. Just look up the CBO report.

The Dems playing a cooking the books scam isn't going to cut it. This is going to add to defecit one way or another. And you and every middle class and under American will be paying for all of this.

Advertisement