Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deep Easterly; thank you.

Just been trudging round the field in the snow with her to try to get the meds circulating, and the guns are very loud; sounds like a clay pigeon shoot.

At least that will stop at darkfall hopefully

Yes some dogs vanish; this one did last year for 11 days. Now she attaches herself like glue to me and screams all the time.

I am exhausted today with the flood and this!

Ah well; this too shall pass

quote=Deep Easterly;63656504]Cant really answer but there is thunder around. It was heard here this morning (not by me though :() so that could well be it. I don't know why dogs seem to go funny when they here thunder. During a thunderstorm last summer, my uncle's dog went crazy and ran off. She has never been seen since. :(:([/quote]

Thanks Irish; remind me; is that noon or earlier? I don't usually shop on Sundays.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Checked when I was in Lidl on Chrimbo eve and they said they were open on Sunday as usual.

I know the feeling!

Personally I wouldn't go out if I thought the roads were dodgy although I tend to stay in around this time of the year anyway. I sort of grew out of that "oh my god I must go out" phase in my twenties :D

Just checked the forecast and no thunder forecast for up here; please God it was the guns set her off and soon they will all be in the bar drinking :)

She will die of terror one of these days. We think it is the electricity in the air that sets them off. So gunfire reminds her..

uote=Deep Easterly;63656504]Cant really answer but there is thunder around. It was heard here this morning (not by me though :() so that could well be it. I don't know why dogs seem to go funny when they here thunder. During a thunderstorm last summer, my uncle's dog went crazy and ran off. She has never been seen since. :(:([/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I found the weather last night very unusual. was driving home around 10pm last night and the air temp was +5C yet the car lost traction a bit on the road and could see it was still iced up. then this morning looked out the window, no ice on car or roofs but the road was white.
    Is it that the road never went above freezing?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

silverharp wrote: »
    I found the weather last night very unusual. was driving home around 10pm last night and the air temp was +5C yet the car lost traction a bit on the road and could see it was still iced up. then this morning looked out the window, no ice on car or roofs but the road was white.

Ye i was thinkin the exact same... out the bac this morning the temp was 4 degrees but the ice on the ground was still quite thick.
    the soil temperature was -1, so ye tats wat it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

silverharp wrote: »
    The cold of the last week has sucked the heat out of the ground. The ground has lot of coldness stored in it and much of it has been sub zero. it'll take quite some time for this cold to disapate, either downwards or back the way it came and frankly air at 5C or even 10C will do it quite slowly. What will do it quicker is rain at 5C or higher. There was some rain today but its quite cold and it is not getting much heat back into ground to raise the ground temperature. Also the rain just runs off the ice on the ground.

At night with clear skies, surfaces (cars, grass etc) cool quickly and it is this that cools the surrounding air. And it is not uncommon to record grass temperature 8C lower that air temperature. Ever wonder why your feet are cold?

Try this experiment.
    Get 2 similar size small pieces of ice (not hard to find!!!)
    Bring them inside and leave one piece in the air (ok difficult not to have one side in contact with a surface) and place another into water which is already at room termperature and observe.
    The point here is that the rain at 5C will do more for raising ground temps than air, also becasue the rain brings the heat down (if the ice lets it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Graces7 wrote: »
    Deep Easterly; thank you.

Just been trudging round the field in the snow with her to try to get the meds circulating, and the guns are very loud; sounds like a clay pigeon shoot.

At least that will stop at darkfall hopefully

Yes some dogs vanish; this one did last year for 11 days. Now she attaches herself like glue to me and screams all the time.

I am exhausted today with the flood and this!

Ah well; this too shall pass

quote=Deep Easterly;63656504]Cant really answer but there is thunder around. It was heard here this morning (not by me though :() so that could well be it. I don't know why dogs seem to go funny when they here thunder. During a thunderstorm last summer, my uncle's dog went crazy and ran off. She has never been seen since. :(:(
    [/QUOTE

http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/dogs-fear-of-thunder-and-lightning-257515.html

I've just taken some obs.
    Max temp 7.2C
    Just has some rain though sky is clear at moment.
    Current temp 4C
    Curr entGrass temp -0.1C
    5cm soil +1.0C up only 0.3C since 9am
    10cm soil 1.2C same as 9am
    20cm soil 2.2C down 0.1C since 9am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Hey folks,
    I have to travel to Donegal in the morning from Meath. I was considering going via Enniskillen or I might go the longer sligo route (N4?) if north Cavan, Fermanagh are in a bad way.

Any advice is welcomed.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

was away for the night of Christmas Eve/Christmas day so everything at home plugged ou and no fire lit.

recorded an indoor temps of +5 degrees

been above zero all day yet there is still some plates of ice around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

spadder wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    I have to travel to Donegal in the morning from Meath. I was considering going via Enniskillen or I might go the longer sligo route (N4?) if north Cavan, Fermanagh are in a bad way.

Any advice is welcomed.

cheers.

I drove from Sligo to dub today, being honest, the roads from Longford north are poor to down right dangerous in spots. It is driveable so long as you are careful and not in a RWD.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

everything completely gone here at last, very good thawing conditions today, road are clear for the first time in nearly a week, only a few patchs of frost still left in well sheltered side roads and the odd patch in the garden.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

bloody snow is still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Out in clonsilla the local estates are still lethal. Very slippy. The main roads are not too bad. Still quiet cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Vikki09

hi all, apologies if ive posted in wrong place but im wondering if anyone knows what the road conditions are like from ballina to sligo? im working at 8am tomorrow morning & didnt even make it out of the estate this morning as the estate was so icy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Very slippy out there all right, nearly went arse over tit walking the dog, could be also them few celebratary brandys I had as my bet won for belfast 200 euros nice one:p

Cycled into Wicklow at 4.30pm, no ice and the Rathnew to Wicklow road was treated.
    Drove back in car just now. Wicklow to Rathnew is fine though cycle paths, footpaths were white but the untreated coast road from Rathnew to Newcastle was very white with frost. Tried the brakes and the wheels readily locked so went along at 40k instead of usual 70k and took it more slowly around corners. I felt one slight slide on a bend.

Got home and checked temp and was very surprised to read 3C, but it was sub zero earlier and grass had fallen to -6C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

very warm weather here compared to yesterday... really conditions today have been to warm for me considering it is slowly melting everything! drove the whole way from derry to coleraine and temps were a rubbish 1c the whole way even here its 0.8c after a max of 2.4c hopefully temps will plummet tonight to stop any remaining melt!

when are showers expected to turn back to snow again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here slightly now but its freezing instantly on contact with the ground making everything very slippery again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looks normal enough here in Malahide, but I've been driving around Howth/Portmarnock for the last 2 hours after being out for the night and I did notice a few spots where braking action was poor and slippy, notably the R106 (back road) between Baldoyle and Portmarnock, and the western end of Station Road in Portmarnock has pretty much no braking action at all. I normally belt down that stretch at a legal but fast speed, suffice to say if I'd done that tonight I'd be on the news tomorrow. Dead end with a chevron sign and brick wall in front, we'd have been part of the wall. Treacherous.

For the url thank you.. we took more expert advice from some US collie sites as this dog is a rescue who was appallingly abused for her five years of life before we had her.

These things work with some. Not with all.

see

http://dogs.about.com/u/ua/dogbehaviorproblems/thunderstorms_u_a.htm

Some collies die of terror no matter what we do. The first time, this one vomited for 72 hours... I kept her alive with water/glucose/salt. That was the long storm last summer.

Trying to confine them is bad; some have killed themselves breaking out of their crates etc.

I now have strategies that work for this dog.

At least now she knows she is safe with me,.

I wish I could get some valium for her though.

Ah well; as i thought, the shooting stopped at darkfall and she was immediately fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The snow is rapidly disappearing here, has been since yesterday. I'd say it will be mostly gone by this evening.

WELL!

Got wee car on the road, but then she refuses to go forward or back.
    Stuck in thick ice which has part melted in places

So I have called our friends the Gardai for advice.

Waiting - in the house - for them to call me back.
    worrse than ever out there now.

Sigh.... this could get very embarrassing indeed..:(

Odd though; heard one of the farmers pass on a"cat" and he has simply ignored the car stuck in the road 100 yds from my gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Motorists cautioned to drive with care

Sunday, 27 December 2009 08:01
    Motorists are being urged to drive with care as many roads remain icy.
    Parts of Cavan, Clare, Galway, Meath, Roscommon, Tipperary and Wicklow are among the worst affected.

Primary routes are still a cause for concern in many of these counties and many secondary routes have been closed mainly because of black ice and snow.

AA Roadwatch says all routes around Galway are very icy this morning with the Inagh Valley road off the N59 impassable.
    Motorists in Roscommon are advised to avoid the Ballaghadereen to Castlerea road.

The roads around Boyle and Gorteen are also very icy.

The Wicklow and Sally Gaps remain impassable and roads in the Navan, Athboy and Bective areas in Co Meath should be avoided if possible.

Conditions are described as treacherous around Listowel in Co Kerry, while the Watergrasshill to Glenville Road in Co Cork has been closed.

Add Donegal to that list:)
    redsunset wrote: »
    Motorists cautioned to drive with care

Sunday, 27 December 2009 08:01
    Motorists are being urged to drive with care as many roads remain icy.
    Parts of Cavan, Clare, Galway, Meath, Roscommon, Tipperary and Wicklow are among the worst affected.

Primary routes are still a cause for concern in many of these counties and many secondary routes have been closed mainly because of black ice and snow.

AA Roadwatch says all routes around Galway are very icy this morning with the Inagh Valley road off the N59 impassable.
    Motorists in Roscommon are advised to avoid the Ballaghadereen to Castlerea road.

The roads around Boyle and Gorteen are also very icy.

The Wicklow and Sally Gaps remain impassable and roads in the Navan, Athboy and Bective areas in Co Meath should be avoided if possible.

Conditions are described as treacherous around Listowel in Co Kerry, while the Watergrasshill to Glenville Road in Co Cork has been closed.

Add Donegal to that list:)

not here anyway it is terrible!!!!!!! everything is melting rapidly temp is now upto the dizzy heights of 3.4c but that is ok since this is going to be the warmest day so far of the week then back down tomorrow at last!!! feels really mild like 12c or something which is weird because that feels warm usually cannot wait to next week to we get back down below 0c!

Young person..

Here I am with no gas and no coal, and my car is stuck in the snow on the road.......

Count your blessings that you can get out and about. It is ten days now for some of us and we need a thaw,..

Thankfully, none of our wishes can change the weather one iota..
    owenc wrote: »
    not here anyway it is terrible!!!!!!! everything is melting rapidly temp is now upto the dizzy heights of 3.4c but that is ok since this is going to be the warmest day so far of the week then back down tomorrow at last!!! feels really mild like 12c or something which is weird because that feels warm usually cannot wait to next week to we get back down below 0c!

Young person..

Here I am with no gas and no coal, and my car is stuck in the snow on the road.......

Count your blessings that you can get out and about. It is ten days now for some of us and we need a thaw,..

Thankfully, none of our wishes can change the weather one iota..

well yeah condions at my grandparents house in the countryside are like that they had frozen gas frozen water and a frozen driveway but temps today are just too high for me 3c i want -1c again that was good!!!! You must be in the deep countryside high up?

• Advertisement

Hope you have been there to shovel snow and get their driveway free?

That would be such a help to them...;)
    owenc wrote: »
    well yeah condions at my grandparents house in the countryside are like that they had frozen gas frozen water and a frozen driveway but temps today are just too high for me 3c i want -1c again that was good!!!! You must be in the deep countryside high up?

Advertisement