Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

frosty tractor

• 25-12-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

know I will have probs today with the tractor and was googling for solutions. like the sound of a magnetic oilpan heater. anyone use one of these and if so are they available here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

What about ether spray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

used that years ago but not good for the engine apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

light a small fire under it - works well.

Gonzales wrote: »
    light a small fire under it - works well.

no good...the snow keeps putting it out :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

What kinda tractor is it ? If its that hard to start is say you would need to recon the engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

what kind of tractor is it i used have similar trouble with a 168 but in frosty weather i used drain the water at night and refill it every morning with hot water, it used stert no bother after that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Park it up inside overnight. Make sure the battery is up to scratch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

is the heater plug working, and what make of tractor is it, also check if the diesel isn't freezing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If you're draining the tractor every night, make sure you drain the block aswell as the radiator. Don't laugh, I've done just that. I thought that as the drain on the radiator was well below the bock it would drain both. Didn't see the second drain for the block.

I also hold a 'Hot Air Gun' at the air intake. I think it helps a lot. Keep it back a bit though. If you place it directly in the intake it can smother the engine when the revs get going.;)

it's an MF690 . Starts first time at 0degrees but -1 no go. Heater plug isn't working. Will try the hot air. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 owlite700

I had the same problem with my ford 4600.the original wiring was damaged.
    we run a wire from the battery ,through a fuse to a push to make switch mounted on the dash ,and from the switch to the heater plug, heat for 20 seconds or so and she starts first turn. might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

owlite700 wrote: »
    I had the same problem with my ford 4600.the original wiring was damaged.
    we run a wire from the battery ,through a fuse to a push to make switch mounted on the dash ,and from the switch to the heater plug, heat for 20 seconds or so and she starts first turn. might help.

I have the heater disconnected on my 4600, but it still starts almost first turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 danielq1007

You could also try using a blow torch on the manefold. Worked for me on an old ford 4000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Have the same problem with mf575, i use the easy start spray.. heard was no good for the engine but my mechanic said it's ok to use as long as it comes out like steam not like liquid..means have the spray warm and use it at a reasonable enough distance from the air intake. cheaper than buying another tractor. Would be weary of the fire under the tractor solution..the word disaster springs to mind.:eek:

eorna wrote: »
    Have the same problem with mf575, i use the easy start spray.. heard was no good for the engine but my mechanic said it's ok to use as long as it comes out like steam not like liquid..means have the spray warm and use it at a reasonable enough distance from the air intake. cheaper than buying another tractor. Would be weary of the fire under the tractor solution..the word disaster springs to mind.:eek:

that's what farming is these days:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

emmemm wrote: »
    that's what farming is these days:)

Where there ever good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

eorna wrote: »

Is the thermostart manifold heater working? If it is and the battery is good then 575 should start no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Masseys with a bit of engine wear can be slow to start as there a big heavy engine to turn, a neighbour a mine bought an MF290 off Bells up north very original clean tractor but 13500euro:eek: he paid and its a pig to start these cold mornings even in the shed:o

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

emmemm wrote: »
    it's an MF690 . Starts first time at 0degrees but -1 no go. Heater plug isn't working. Will try the hot air. Thanks.

I have the same MF 690, make sure the battery is good. Also make sure the diesel flow is adequate and that the filter is clean. If the filter is dirty and the diesel isn't flowing it will keep turning the engine but won't kick and therefore kill the battery.
    My heater plug isn't working either but I'm managing to keep it started. must get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

DanFindy wrote: »
    Masseys with a bit of engine wear can be slow to start as there a big heavy engine to turn, a neighbour a mine bought an MF290 off Bells up north very original clean tractor but 13500euro:eek: he paid and its a pig to start these cold mornings even in the shed:o

This is the bit that makes all the difference:
    http://farmingparts.johnmcelderry.co.uk/pp/Engine/Fuel_System/Heater_Plug_-_3583543M2.html ;)

The .248 engined Masseys can be a bit slow to get going alright. The .236 & .212 engined ones seem to be easier to swing. Its possible that the starter is gone a bit weak too, they get lazy after a few years.

• Advertisement

Guys, an electric hot air gun will heat the air going into the engine even more than the heat bulb.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

I have a Zetor 7245. It's parked in big open shed at night, so not getting too much shelter from the cold. It has no glow plug to heat the engine before attempting to start. I just give it s few shots of diesel with the little hand pump on the side of the engine. Even on the very coldest of days it starts ok. Have to turn the starter for say 20 secs. Engine sounds like it will never start. Real low slow grow. Then leave it for 30 to 40 mins. Have another go, and away, and she fires up like a bird.
    But if i keep trying at the first attempt, she will never start. I think it must be the starter getting too hot to be effective.

Rujib1 wrote: »
    I have a Zetor 7245. It's parked in big open shed at night, so not getting too much shelter from the cold. It has no glow plug to heat the engine before attempting to start. I just give it s few shots of diesel with the little hand pump on the side of the engine. Even on the very coldest of days it starts ok. Have to turn the starter for say 20 secs. Engine sounds like it will never start. Real low slow grow. Then leave it for 30 to 40 mins. Have another go, and away, and she fires up like a bird.
    But if i keep trying at the first attempt, she will never start. I think it must be the starter getting too hot to be effective.

good tip this one. I turn the starter about 10 secs then put the charger on and return after an hour and usually she fires. Also I am leaving it until the warmest time of day (-2 yesterday:) ) before trying it. I left a weeks supply of silage out yesterday in case things get worse. Brrrrrr...

..another tip too.
    I couldn't start mine yesterday even when I tried to jump start it.

Today, I put an electric oil heater under the engine almost up against the oil sump. I put straw bales around the tractor, not touching the heater :D. Left it for 3 hours. She started on the first touch, like it had been running all day.

A few degrees rise in the oil temp in the engine makes a big help. Oil thickens like mad when the temp drops and this prevents the engine form turing fast. I also had a hot air gun down the intake like I said already.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭goondakid

we just take off the air pipe off the manifold of our digger and just use one of those small gas torches put it in near and shel such away the hot air great job in this weather and has no effect on the engine...:D

Advertisement