Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No ignition on Central Heating System

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I must say I was surprised he said this when he came out, it was effectively the only thing he looked at, he did look at the valve I think, was surprised that this was the only thing he did, he said lowering the thermostat would probably work.:(

I think it was set on 90, but it was on the higherst point, not 100% sure, he lowered it down to 75.

I'm hoping to have someone from the same place that serviced the boiler on Monday just hope it is not the same person from the other day. I'm just surprised that after having a full service recently I am having problems.

If you've still got the boiler manual and thermostat instructions, you'll see a difference in both temp, max stat temp setting is different to lowest setting for boiler to lock out on high limit.

It would be a bit daft to have a thermostat being able to adjust above lowest temp on high limit if you understand?

To break it down, say your high limit knocks boiler off for safety reasons at 90 it would'nt make sense to have a stat installed which allows boiler to reach 95.

You might have been fobbed off with an excuse, could be many reasons why your having difficultly, before going into expense best bring up the stat issue now that you have an understanding. If this problem has only happened due to frost, something else might have happened. So might not have been a bad service, just a new problem. Very hard to tell from here so this is best I can give for now.

Poster above has good advice with pipe stat but may only be associated with boilers experiencing constant lock out due to heat not being able to dissipate enough. After boiler shuts off, pump might stop running but boiler metal is still hot, providing more heat causing boiler to over heat.

You have some smoke and smells, so burner needs looking at, then stat as sounds like you might have some existing stat problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Tks lads, hope they do manage to send someone out on Monday :)

Tks lads, hope they do manage to send someone out on Monday :)

Best of luck, try not to give the service person a hard time until problem is found. Weather is mad lately, difference in outside temp can effect boiler oil and air pressure settings along with other things.

Boiler might have been set up to cope perfect during time it was serviced last, now weather is different, boiler will react different.

If you've been running boiler at highest setting, you shouldn't be able to touch rads or run a hot tap at full bore, all would be far to hot, or you've got far to much heat loss happening which is doubtful. Might give some clues to possible stat problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

items wrote: »
    Best of luck, try not to give the service person a hard time until problem is found. Weather is mad lately, difference in outside temp can effect boiler oil and air pressure settings along with other things.

Boiler might have been set up to cope perfect during time it was serviced last, now weather is different, boiler will react different.

If you've been running boiler at highest setting, you shouldn't be able to touch rads or run a hot tap at full bore, all would be far to hot, or you've got far to much heat loss happening which is doubtful. Might give some clues to possible stat problem.

No I won't, will be just grateful to get someone up :)

This is the case on all rads. bar one, though when I bleed the rad, once a week, it goes back to being very hot.

No I won't, will be just grateful to get someone up :)

This is the case on all rads. bar one, though when I bleed the rad, once a week, it goes back to being very hot.

Have you ever tried to reduce temp, would cut down a lot on oil consumption. little goes a long way. I find sometimes people don't know the difference when stat is lowered, many times people have asked me to leave stat at same setting, they have little pen marks on it etc, I'll always drop it a few, most cases they never notice, anytime I've been back, stat is still same.

Women are divils, stat has to be left high no matter what, something in their head. Same with hot water. Not many people can tell difference between 65 and 80 physically. Drop the stat a bit for a week after boiler is back running, might be surprised.

Could be wrong on this as your system might not heat house enough, thats why boiler is set so high.

If you've to vent a rad constantly, your system is taking in air, which is not good but diffenerent ball game for another time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I must say I was surprised he said this when he came out, it was effectively the only thing he looked at, he did look at the valve I think, was surprised that this was the only thing he did, he said lowering the thermostat would probably work.:(

I think it was set on 90, but it was on the higherst point, not 100% sure, he lowered it down to 75.

I'm hoping to have someone from the same place that serviced the boiler on Monday just hope it is not the same person from the other day. I'm just surprised that after having a full service recently I am having problems.

Hi OPENROAD, You have 2 problems, as I said before. One is very simple, you had the boiler stat set too high. 90 is very high for a boiler stat, it is very close to boiling point. Sometimes when the heating system shuts down, the burner has been running and the boiler is very hot. When the circulation stops, the boiler continues to heat the water in the jacket and it rises almost to boiling point and the safety stat shuts the system off. Often this is not noticed until the next morning when the system switches on again. The thermostat is not made by the boiler manufacturer, it can have many applications - so the temp is marked up to 90. That does not mean that you should run the system at that temp. About 60 degrees is the usual for mild weather, going up to about 75 in the colder weather - at least that's what most people use. Once you turn down the stat and it does not happen all the time, there is no problem resetting the high limit stat.

You also have a second problem with the ignition and burning, so you do need to have a service engineer look at it. Are you burning gas oil or kerosene ? see my previous post.
    Jim.

Advertisement