Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[diabetes] Colour changing contact lens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Merry Xmas,

i agree with that , i'm just having a bit of a hypo, bg about 2.9 and i feel horrible, its my own fault of course im out in saudi and its freiday, their day of rest so i went back to bed for a sleep, and not eating anything during the morning is the cause.

I miss being at home because i start my day there with a few rashers and tomatoes, bacons illegal here, so im living on chicken steak fruit and nuts, helped along with the odd digestive or two. The bread here seems to send my bg rocketing up even one slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The hubby has always been great for me in that he can feel differences in my skin and wakes me but he is exausted with me doing extra bloods with the baby at night. Our unborn son has taken over and kicks his mummy a lot (he wakes me) when my blood is 1.9ish...

I like the idea of the contacts but would prefer a continous blood glucose monitoring system...with my pregnancy am trying to keep between 4 and 5 (excluding meals)all the time and that is almost impossible...

Not eating as much as want but that is more from the oesophagectomy and being very pregnant...eating chocolate brazil nuts (normally a no no for diabetics) but can manage my bloods, that is what you get for having it 25 years.

Happy Christmas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Any kind of continuous meter would be good. If/ when it does happen I can't see it becoming a part of my current brand of contacts so it will make for very expensive special ordered lenses.

As a slight meander OT, from a quick browse on a mostly US based site covering diabetes it seems that a good few people are now being given the continuous meters. But that getting one is all down to convincing the insurance company rather than any kind of medical person to give you the system. I saw some things about a cycle racing team using them before for monitoring during rides, without needing to stop, and that would be useful for me with all the running I'm doing now and trying not to go low during that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I must admit to not knowing much about the continous meters but when I did have tempory access to one a few years ago I did find it very akward and large, I also hated being attached to something the whole time. I have a friend who has the pump but it seems to me that in her case she was constanly obsessed with her diabetes whereas I accept that it is part of my life like breathing but it is not my life. My idead scenario would be a be a device like your mobile phone that was near your body but not part of it and would warn you of lows or highs. I would be concerned about items that require skin contact as I imagine that possibility of someone becoming allergic could be quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

On the point of CGM, I am a type 1 diabetic for 10 years now, I will be getting the Minimed VEO pump this coming january...... when dissussing getting the pump with my diabetic doctor they where strongly pushing the pump!

However, when I talked about the CGM system and how I felt having this would hugely benfit me . . . they just said no! their reason was " we dont want to break the goose that lays the golden eggs" . . . ie. its to expensive and we dont think you need it!

On that, I have a question for anyone with any experience. . . I luckly have Quinn health insurance from before I was dianosged with Diabetes . . will my health insurance cover the CGM system?

• Advertisement
Advertisement