Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footpaths

Options
  • 25-12-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭

Ice + light rain = black ice over most footpaths in the city centre, right now!

If you must go out, traffic is very light. So you may be safest walking down the road. (But keep away from painted bits, 'cos they seem worse).

Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Been like it most of the week, around Woodquay, outside AXA, the footpaths are lethal, even the dog cannot keep upright

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Never seen such a confused expression on my dogs face than when she done the splits goin down Bothar Na Mban yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's funny as feck though watching people fall.... i've managed to keep upright so far but i'm expecting to fall today at some stage :)

Went down hard twice, ended up walking on the road, have a dodgy knee that needs replacing when HSE get around to it, so not really funny

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Walked out the door, down the driveway, on to the footpath, took a step on the road, slipped, landed flat on my back, got winded, got up eventually, slipped again, landed flat on my back again, didn't get winded but cut my hand, sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, looked out this morning and spotted that pebble-dash look on the driveway. Nearly killed myself on it last year. Another house bound day it seems!

It just said on radio that the Galway Guards are warning people not to travel at all today. Dunno if that means walking as well as driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have never experienced it so slippy. Bloody lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's funny as feck though watching people fall.... i've managed to keep upright so far but i'm expecting to fall today at some stage :)

Are you actually serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I'm thinking about renting my driveway out to 7up Christmas on Ice :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It is lethal! Loads of cars couldn't leave my estate this morn it was so bad. I slid in the car coming back into the estate after church..seriously scary stuff...avoid driving if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its a disgrace the way the footpaths were left, reading the City Tribune 15 people were admitted to hospital on Monday after breaking their wrists from falls on iceed footpaths, I wonder how many more have been in since, this morning as it rained it froze I bet there are a lot more in today.
    They are people who should be celebrating Christmas at home not in Hospital.

Shame on the City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I went out to the car this morning and went straight up in the air and landed flat on my back:mad:
    Then as i was driving down my boreen to get on the main road, the car just took off going round a corner. Straight back home for me, no christmas dinner with the in-laws this year:cool:

There's a few abandoned cars on the streets... all with a bit of, eh, cosmetic damage!

Roads are fine now again, temp up to about 4 degrees but it was deadly this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Some of the footpaths around Woodquay are still a bit dodgy

Just back from walkin dog. Most of city centre is grand now. Just watch the ground. Not that cold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

thecivvie wrote: »
    Been like it most of the week, around Woodquay, outside AXA, the footpaths are lethal, even the dog cannot keep upright

Yeah, I was in Woodquay earlier in the week, but this morning was far, far worse IMHO. I got up Merchants Rd by walking up the middle of the road, there was just no way to stay upright on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I managed to start off my christmas day by sliding down the steps outside my house and landing flat on my backside when I let the dogs out this morning. The steps looked fine, otherwise I would have salted the hell out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Completely hopped myself off the ground today half winded myself, quite sore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Heard of a guy who broke his two arms by slipping on ice this morning :(

The good news is that the temperatures are supposed to improve from today onwards.
    Bad news is that we're expected to be plunged back into similarly cold weather on New Years Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The ice where I live in Galway has been a joke, the management refused to help clear the footpaths. The ice first came last Saturday, is still there today (now worse). I've fallen about 5 or 6 times now, footpaths have been ok all week, just slightly slippery at the Terryland roundabout, no real complaints there. Dread to think how slippy Galway is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace the way the footpaths were left, reading the City Tribune 15 people were admitted to hospital on Monday after breaking their wrists from falls on iceed footpaths, I wonder how many more have been in since, this morning as it rained it froze I bet there are a lot more in today.
    They are people who should be celebrating Christmas at home not in Hospital.

Shame on the City Council

The City Council invented the weather? How do you know they all fell on public footpaths and not on their own private property? Obviously its awful for people who injured themselves, especially at this time of year, but to blame the City Council for all the problems with the ice is daft.

hoody wrote: »
    The City Council invented the weather? How do you know they all fell on public footpaths and not on their own private property? Obviously its awful for people who injured themselves, especially at this time of year, but to blame the City Council for all the problems with the ice is daft.

Hoody were you in Galway and if so did you try to walk on the paths leading into the City they were lethal, I saw more people fall on Christmas Eve around the City than ever in my life.

Hoody were you in Galway and if so did you try to walk on the paths leading into the City they were lethal, I saw more people fall on Christmas Eve around the City than ever in my life.

Yeah but at least it gave people a laugh - It was a covert operation by the Council to try and cheer people up in the current doom and gloom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Jesus that was horrific (the vid above).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not sure that blaming the council is accurate though. It seemed to me that they got the city-centre sorted out on about Tuesday last week (may have the day wrong, but there was a definite difference between one day and the next).

This side of Ireland doesn't usually get this amount of ice, though, so it would be irresponsible of them to invest in the amount of salt/grit/equipment required to do for the whole city if they didn't expect to need it. I suspect that the management companies will be in much the same situation: doing all estates is a far bigger job than just doing the few that usually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The council were quick to grit outside their offices, pity they didn't give a bit of consideration to others. Whatever about us 'young' ones, how the feck were our older citizens supposed to manage? Don't make excuses for the council, they are hopeless and considering they have a grit truck I can't believe they weren't bothered to enter any of the estates. Useless the lot of them.

As for laughing at people falling and hurting themselves that's just disturbing. When we were hitting the country on Christmas Eve a lady took a fall at the Headford roundabout, her wrist was smashed. It wasn't funny in the slightest. You want to laugh at people falling on ice go up to the ice rink and have your giggles.

The council were quick to grit outside their offices, pity they didn't give a bit of consideration to others. Whatever about us 'young' ones, how the feck were our older citizens supposed to manage? Don't make excuses for the council, they are hopeless and considering they have a grit truck I can't believe they weren't bothered to enter any of the estates. Useless the lot of them.

As for laughing at people falling and hurting themselves that's just disturbing. When we were hitting the country on Christmas Eve a lady took a fall at the Headford roundabout, her wrist was smashed. It wasn't funny in the slightest. You want to laugh at people falling on ice go up to the ice rink and have your giggles.

Well said its not a laughing matter if it was someone related to Mr Cleary, I know from a friend that the Hospital was under pressure with all the people being taken in with fractures and a number of them requiring operations, some Christmas for those people and their familys.

Its no joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

m83 wrote: »

Nightmare scenario!

Where did that happen?

Advertisement