Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoked beer

• 25-12-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

I bought some of this in Deveney's in Dundrum, along with a few other beers. Anyway, it's called (I think) Brauerei Heller Bamberg. There's so much stuff written on the bottle that I'm not sure which is the name.

I've been to a good few scottish distilleries and tasted the beer they make there for distillation and this is pretty similar, albeit at a lower strength. Very interesting, although I can't say I liked it. Couldn't finish the bottle. Maybe it's one for sipping over an hour or so. Or maybe it just takes getting used to.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Heller is the family who owns it. What you've got there is Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, the Märzen.

It's a bit of an acquired taste, but I love it. They make a great pale lager too, which isn't brewed with smoked malt like the others but is run through the same kit so picks up a subtle smoky hint. Yum. Then there's the Urbock which tastes like drinking a freshly tarmacked road, in the nicest possible way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Love the beer Brockagh, not sure about sipping, there rauch bock can easily be drunk as BeerNut knowns

also the malt is a smoked beach wood malt as a posed to peated in distilleries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Maybe it was just me. I don't think I could drink much of this.

Bought a Lambic fruit beer too, as well as some really good Paul Lanners - one a hopped wheat beer (which was great) and the other one a dunkel wheat beer (also really good).

Bought the augustiner too, which I always love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Brockagh wrote: »
    Bought the augustiner too, which I always love.

Which one did you get? Edelstoff is one of my favourites :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Brockagh wrote: »
    Paul Lanners
    Sorry. Have to LOL.. can't help it.

But that aside are you sure the hopped Weiss was not schneider? They do a beauty called hopfen weiss

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Which one did you get? Edelstoff is one of my favourites :)

It was the Helles.

Sorry about Paulaner spelling... And you're right, it was the schneider weiss. It was very nice anyway. It was a collaboration with the Boston Brewing Company, or something like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brooklyn. The version we get is brewed at Schneider by Brooklyn's Garrett Oliver. There's also a version brewed in Brooklyn by Schneider's Hans-Peter Drexler.

I've got just about everything wrong so far... Anyway, the beer was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have a friend living in Bamberg, have been over there half a dozen times

There are a lot of excellent beers brewed there

Mahrs do a lovely Helles/U beer I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's also a version brewed in Brooklyn by Schneider's Hans-Peter Drexler.
    And I'm drinking it right now :)
    dvnfo9.jpg
    From what I can recall of the schneider version, this is a lot more in your face, much more floral on the nose, classic American hop flavour.
    Absolutely delicious, but won't be buying too many bottles@11.99.
    Crackin beer to bring in the new year with though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samezoobi

Hi guys,
    My favourite soft drink is A&W root beer, followed by Coca-Cola.
    My favourite alcoholic drink is something called a mexican martini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Had a Fullers limited edition earlier in the year. It was casked in ex 30yo whisky casks from Islay (I think Bowmore). It actually imparted a nice peated flavour more so than I would have thought from a Bowmore cask. I actually enjoyed it but at £5.00 a bottle a bit steep.

Today splashed out on a couple of each of these. Not had any bar the Chimay so looking forward to trying more new beers :D.

Baltas Unfiltered Wheat beer 5.0%
    Grolsch Weizen 5.3%
    Blue Moon beer 5.4%
    Paulaner Hefe Weizbier 5.5%
    Erdinger Dunkel 5.6%
    Chimay Red 7%
    Chimay Blue 9%

Won't be rushing the Chimay or I'll be on my ear ;)

Advertisement