Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker ignition - Dog problem

Options
  • 25-12-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

We recently installed a new gas cooker in the kitchen, its one with electronic or piezo ignition as per all modern cookers. However every time we light the cooker our jack russell goes absolutely crackers. Barking and gets really agitated at the cooker. It seems as if the electronic ignition is annoying him, wonder if there is a high frequency sound or similar off it that is annoying his ears, has anybody ever come across this with their pets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Not had that personal experience, but ignitions on cookers can have a click type sound, somewhat like a crackle, and that might be setting him off.
    The only thing to do is to get him used to it -try and ignore when he goes nuts, if/when he calms, give him lots of praise. He might get the idea that the noise he hears is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of our dogs is like that with any "crack" noise; eg if i snap one carton off a pack of yoghurts etc she jumps.

It is a sharp, sudden noise. Like the ignition.

She has got better over time,,,

Our other, a JRT Cross reacts like yours if I snap a twig in the garden. only way then is to give her part of it to "kill"
    Milton09 wrote: »
    We recently installed a new gas cooker in the kitchen, its one with electronic or piezo ignition as per all modern cookers. However every time we light the cooker our jack russell goes absolutely crackers. Barking and gets really agitated at the cooker. It seems as if the electronic ignition is annoying him, wonder if there is a high frequency sound or similar off it that is annoying his ears, has anybody ever come across this with their pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Keep him in the kitchen and switch the rings on and off, make a loud SSHHUSH sound everytime he reacts to it, pet him (not extensively) when he doesn't. He'll soon realise that the cooker is not an enemey and stop reacting to it. My dog used to spin while I was preparing his dinner and this worked for me.

Was thinking about this last night; she stopped reacting when I stopped reacting to her reaction.. They pick up our emotions. So the less fuss we make the better; they will pick up that we you are not panicking, all is well. Our wee one is trained not to bark in the house, so a NO works even then.
    gypsygirl wrote: »
    Keep him in the kitchen and switch the rings on and off, make a loud SSHHUSH sound everytime he reacts to it, pet him (not extensively) when he doesn't. He'll soon realise that the cooker is not an enemey and stop reacting to it. My dog used to spin while I was preparing his dinner and this worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

THanks all. we've tried all the above, be nice, be not nice, react, dont react but if anything he is getting worst.

• Advertisement

Maybe needs consistency?

Dogs pick up emotion from us so easily, so try not to worry?

Try one tactic over a longer period. eg ignoring the reaction. Say for a few days?

Having said that, yesterday there was ??? a clay pigeon shoot??? very near here and our dog went ballistic over the whole afternoon.

Milton09 wrote: »
    THanks all. we've tried all the above, be nice, be not nice, react, dont react but if anything he is getting worst.

Advertisement