Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Wolseley hotel Q?.

Options
  • 25-12-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Any review's of this hotel guys.

Also would I be advised to book an evening meal or is the hotel situation near Carlow town?.

I'll be travelling down for the Christy Moore gig in April so if anyone's been to a gig there I'd appreciate any feed back too, ie seating arrangement and bar facilities.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Also would I be advised to book an evening meal or is the hotel situation near Carlow town?.

I'll be travelling down for the Christy Moore gig in April so if anyone's been to a gig there I'd appreciate any feed back too, ie seating arrangement and bar facilities.

Thanks.

I can only comment on its location. It's no where near Carlow town, it's in Tullow. http://www.bing.com/maps/#JmNwPTUyLjgxMzcwNDAxMzgyNDQ2fi02LjgyNzk2MDAxNDM0MzI2MiZsdmw9MTMmc3R5PXImcnRwPXBvcy41Mi44MzUwMjIyMTEwNzQ4M18tNi45MjkzNzk3MDE2MTQzOF9fX19hX35wb3MuNTIuNzkxMjM3ODMxMTE1NzJfLTYuNzI4NDYwNzg4NzI2ODA3X25lYXIlMjBNb3VudCUyMFdvbHNlbGV5JTJDJTIwSXJlbGFuZF9fX2FfJnJ0b3A9MH4wfjB+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Thanks.

Hhhmm, what kinda review are you looking for? :)

Its a very impressive hotel. It has great facilities and friendly staff. It has a massive function room with 2 bars. There is also a lounge which serve bar food and The Morrissey bar which is my personal favourite. No food and no kids allowed :) What more do you want?
    The bars in the function room are a little bit small but as long as there's 2 good barmen working, the beer will fly out. I'm not sure if that will matter though cause I don't think Christy allows beers to be served while he's performing???

As for seating, it will be set up theatre style but not tierred so unless you're tall, seating towards the front would be recommended.

Its situated roughly 15miles from Carlow town in a small town called Tullow. I'd recommend booking a meal in the hotel restaurant (Fredicks) but if you want to go into town there's an indian, a chinese a couple of irish restaurants or a few pubs that do food.

Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats great Shay, thanks.

Sounds like a pretty awful set up for the gig, but hey what can ya do!.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

and don't forget to bring your credit card loaded!

Zeppi wrote: »
    and don't forget to bring your credit card loaded!

Coming down from Dublin I'm used to expensive!.

• Advertisement

I don't think its that expensive. The beer prices are less than you'd pay in Dublin. Maybe the rooms might be pricey (I don't know) but the restaurant is no worse than any other "international" restaurant. At least I think they still advertise it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

It's a beautiful hotel, stayed there about 18 months ago when my bother in law married a local girl. Might be expensive but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

The expensive drink problem is normally at functions. But the 'normal' bar prices are a bit cheaper but still more expensive than carlow pubs and definately more than Tullow pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

tombull82 wrote: »
    The expensive drink problem is normally at functions. But the 'normal' bar prices are a bit cheaper but still more expensive than carlow pubs and definately more than Tullow pubs.

You think they won't bump up the prices for a Christy Moore gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Its a brilliant hotel.

Note: No ATM in the hotel so as someone said bring you credit card loaded :) and cash will be great aswell. While you are there check out the whole place even spend the night you won't be disappointed ;).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

One of the gigs is on Good Friday, so no booze anyhow.

Oh sweet mother of Jesus!. And the thing is paid for too.

If you are having a meal you can have alcohol with it.
    RealistSpy wrote: »

Note: No ATM in the hotel

I've heard a few people mention that. Is it normal to have an ATM in a hotel? I don't ever remember seeing one. Unless you count the one in Dinn Rí ?
    super-rush wrote: »

They don't put up the prices of drinks for different events.

Prices are the same in all the bars in the Hotel. They don't do "function prices"

I wonder if the res. bar will open after midnight!.

Dammit to hell, I wouldn't have booked had I realized my tickets were for Good Friday :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's a beautiful hotel, stayed there about 18 months ago when my bother in law married a local girl. Might be expensive but well worth it.

but if he's your bother in law then isn't the local girl your sister?!

SV wrote: »
    but if he's your bother in law then isn't the local girl your sister?!

The brother-in-law is most likely the poster's partner's brother.

I wonder if the res. bar will open after midnight!.

Dammit to hell, I wouldn't have booked had I realized my tickets were for Good Friday :mad:

I don't think the "no beer" rules applys to residients. I'm not 100% on that but iirc non-residents can have beer if they are having a meal and residents can drink whatever they want. A quick phone call to the bar manager or hotel manager would answer that question for you.

super-rush wrote: »

The gig would most likely be in the function room which is what I meant..
    so the standard bar would be a bit cheaper..

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Its a brilliant hotel.

Note: No ATM in the hotel so as someone said bring you credit card loaded :) and cash will be great aswell. While you are there check out the whole place even spend the night you won't be disappointed ;).

If you go to the lounge bar (not function room bar) and pay via laser/CC they will give you cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I've heard a few people mention that. Is it normal to have an ATM in a hotel? I don't ever remember seeing one. Unless you count the one in Dinn Rí ?

I've never seen a hotel with an ATM either.

• Advertisement

They don't put up the prices of drinks for different events.

Prices are the same in all the bars in the Hotel. They don't do "function prices"
    Yes they do charge different prices in the function room, (from first hand experience) But this is kind of normal for Carlow hotels. The Seven Oaks has something like a 20% difference from the function room to the main bar.

Dolmen Hotel has an ATM from what I remember..Actually I am pretty sure there is one to the left of the stair case

I don't think the "no beer" rules applys to residients. I'm not 100% on that but iirc non-residents can have beer if they are having a meal and residents can drink whatever they want. A quick phone call to the bar manager or hotel manager would answer that question for you.

I believe this to be true also.

Yes they do charge different prices in the function room, (from first hand experience)

If that is true, it must be a recent change brought in by the most recent bar manager. I'll find out later.

Yes they do charge different prices in the function room,

No they don't. I just text one of the function bar staff and prices are the same in all bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

A Christy Moore gig? Well be careful he doesn't find out you're thinking of drinking at it; he can be a bit of a tyrant about troublemakers who dare to sing or drink at his shows!

I stayed in Mount Wolseley last year and while I didn't think it was the prettiest of buildings, we were really happy with the food and service and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

No they don't. I just text one of the function bar staff and prices are the same in all bars.

Steady on Shay I not fighting with you on this (cause I'd win):D

All I know is that I was at a friends wedding earlier in the year and had to buy pints in the main bar area so I could get cash back from my laser and found that the same round was cheaper out there than the function room, when I mentioned it back at the table other people said they had also noticed the difference from 1 bar to another.
    Maybe it was just down to tills going through price updates and not all had been done together or somewhat I don't know.

Steady on Shay I not fighting with you on this (cause I'd win):D

All I know is that I was at a friends wedding earlier in the year and had to buy pints in the main bar area so I could get cash back from my laser and found that the same round was cheaper out there than the function room, when I mentioned it back at the table other people said they had also noticed the difference from 1 bar to another.
    Maybe it was just down to tills going through price updates and not all had been done together or somewhat I don't know.

Unless its down to the bar staff pressing different buttons or as you say, incorrect till prices or updates I don't see how that happened. I was the Function Bar supervisor in there for around a year and I worked there for 5 or 6 year total. We never had different prices in different bars with the exception of the club house which was slightly cheaper when it opened. I've checked with the current senior barman this morning, he does ALL the functions and he told me prices are the same in all bars.

Unless its down to the bar staff pressing different buttons or as you say, incorrect till prices or updates I don't see how that happened. I was the Function Bar supervisor in there for around a year and I worked there for 5 or 6 year total. We never had different prices in different bars with the exception of the club house which was slightly cheaper when it opened. I've checked with the current senior barman this morning, he does ALL the functions and he told me prices are the same in all bars.

Thats fair enough Shay, As I said I seen it that night, SO I believed it to be the usual.
    The Seven Oaks does it all the time, I've seen it on many occasions where people go out to the main bar and bring the drinks back in with them...

I'm bowing out of this now...

Just to say thanks for the replies lads.

Stayed last night, great hotel and compared to Dublin prices - damned cheap too (yes it was Good Friday and we drank into the early hours :p )

I'd recommend this hotel any day, lovely place.

Thanks again guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Thanks for the feed back mate :)

Advertisement