Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Christmas Present for Senior Civil Servants

Options
  • 25-12-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

A post by Karl Whelan:
    On budget day, the Minister for Finance announced that civil servants earning between €165,000 and €200,000 would take pay cuts of 12% while those earning over €200,000 would take pay cuts of 15%. Yesterday, with the public focusing on their pre-Christmas preparations, the government announced that this would not be happening after all.

These pay cuts have been rolled back for two reasons. First, the government announced that it was going to take into account the elimination of “performance-related awards” which had averaged ten percent of their salary. As a result it reduced the new pay cuts for some civil service grades to reflect the loss of this ten percent.

Second, it was decided that the differential rates of adjustment, with higher cuts for those over €200,000 would introduce anomalies in which there would be overlaps such that those on higher points in lower scales would have better salaries than those on lower points of a higher scale...

More.

Sigh...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Christ. :/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's even worse if you read the full article. I'm sure we'll be told shortly though that these senior civil servants didn't cause the mess in the finances of the country whose civilians they serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Depressing but not surprising. My dad who works in UCC told me that the senior academic staff got a 10% pay rise last April to compensate for the pension levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Crazy - bonuses are discretionary surely. Pay cuts happen independently of bonuses - or at least they do in any correctly run business.

Why do they bother calling them bonuses at all - for these guys, they're a gauranteed form of income.

This little nation of ours is never going to fix itself if this kind of stuff keeps happening. We truly are a banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It's incredible reading this but not surprising! By the justification they are using the 3.5% Towards 2016 overdue payrise therefore should be 'taken into account' for the lower paid civil servants and offset against the impending reductions in pay! The gap between the rich and the poor continues to grow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

that is ridicolous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Oh dear. Further undermining the idea that 'we're all feeling the pain'.

I presume social welfare cuts will now be rolled back, given they also lost their Christmas bonus which, as Karl points out, is already the equivalent of a 2% cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭To The North

this is disgraceful, it just adds fuel to the fire of the public/private debates that are raging at the moment. how can they justify it? as a public servant i just feel ashamed of stuff like this :(

i think we should get on to our respective TDs (and unions maybe? dunno if that's a good idea) and make our complaints heard. perhaps they were hoping that announcing this over christmas would mean people were distracted and wouldn't pay too much attention to it. we shouldn't allow them to get away without at least voicing our disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Ok, where's my pitchfork. I guess the fact that announcing it now had nothing to do with the limited news coverage at the moment. Good to see the pain is being shared. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

God bless the abuse of averages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Stark wrote: »
    Depressing but not surprising. My dad who works in UCC told me that the senior academic staff got a 10% pay rise last April to compensate for the pension levy.

Senior Lecturers didn't and they're among the most senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Am I SURPRISED am i F### anything goes with this government. We have some very angry people in this country at the moment and if they want civil unrest they are going the right way about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Did any civil servant earning between 150.000 and 250.000 "EVER" post on Boards.ie, I dont think so.

It gets my goat, they are perusing the forum and laughing at the general public, that frequent this forum.

If I see a new Merc now I just assume its a civil servant or banker, not a person that has just got his retirement money.

With a Merc you need it to be properly serviced etc. which makes it unaffordable or a waste of money for the ordinary Joe Soap.

I am sorry but thats the way I think now, I am not gloating at their salary just really really vexed that they continue on with massive salaries and dont have to justify to anybody have to explain as to why they recieve such generous sums an allowances
    Nothing will change my mind now, Top civil servants go hand in hand with the TD's. and Td's go hand in hand with the bankers.

The above quangos will never be broken, too much history there.

God help us all.

I am a pessamist yes, a Joe Soap also. This situation in Ireland will not be rectified for many many years.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. Just pissed off. Currently on disability and feeling sorry for myself, but mostly feeling sorry for my kids growing up in this MAFIA INVESTED SOCIETY>.

Rant over

Good Luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Excellent news.
    Hopefully this dithering by the Government will encourage the unions in their bid to mitigate the recent budgetary pay cuts by way of co-ordinated industrial action early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the rest of the public sector workers will not be happy with this

they just turn up to work everyday and the job to best of abilities. no sign of a bonus system

the people at the top in every area of this country are laughing at the rest of us
    • government
    • civil servants
    • private companies
    • semi states
    • universities
    • banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭CFlower

The beneficiaries of this include Senior Civil Servants in the Department of Finance who hand in hand with Lenihan jumped us off the cliff last October to protect the bankers and the small circle of big borrowers.

Loyalty sometimes needs to be bought, and a Government facing extreme and unprecedented circumstances needs the unquestioning loyalty of these civil servants.

Would a back down to the Gardaí come as any surprise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Once again, it is a typical Irish case of the auld fellas sticking together and to hell with the rest of the country.

There is a cabal of people in this country - politicians, bankers, senior civil servants and other who have driven this country to the edge - and they're still running the show.

Average public sector workers will still feel the pain - and will be reminded on the daily basis by looking at their senior bosses that pay cuts for all doesn't really mean pay cuts for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

this is disgraceful, it just adds fuel to the fire of the public/private debates that are raging at the moment. how can they justify it? as a public servant i just feel ashamed of stuff like this :(

i think we should get on to our respective TDs (and unions maybe? dunno if that's a good idea) and make our complaints heard. perhaps they were hoping that announcing this over christmas would mean people were distracted and wouldn't pay too much attention to it. we shouldn't allow them to get away without at least voicing our disgust.

Don't feel ashamed to the north unless you are one of the higher paid public servants or a member of the government.

I'm one of the lower paid public servants on 28K and my 5% paycut is not going to be rolled back.

Its becoming clearer and clearer with each passing month that its the elites that are being taken care of... yes there is a divide in irish society but its the well off classes vs the ordinary worker.

exasperation... but what can you do - vote FF out at the next election and banish them for decades.

gerry28 wrote: »
    Don't feel ashamed to the north unless you are one of the higher paid public servants or a member of the government.

I'm one of the lower paid public servants on 28K and my 5% paycut is not going to be rolled back.

Its becoming clearer and clearer with each passing month that its the elites that are being taken care of... yes there is a divide in irish society but its the well off classes vs the ordinary worker.

exasperation... but what can you do - vote FF out at the next election and banish them for decades.

Indeed Gerry28 - but finding a serious alternative Government won't be easy. It's hard to see anyone decent, sane and with the stomach to take on the appalling disaster that any Opposition would find if they took office.

Fine Gael would hardly be there to look after the ordinary worker, any more than Fianna Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

CFlower wrote: »
    Indeed Gerry28 - but finding a serious alternative Government won't be easy. It's hard to see anyone decent, sane and with the stomach to take on the appalling disaster that any Opposition would find if they took office.

Fine Gael would hardly be there to look after the ordinary worker, any more than Fianna Fail.

Fine Gael would be a disaster for the public sector. There are no viable alternatives for government in Ireland, even our trade unions are useless.

I am maddened at the roll back. I was finally able to feel that while my pay has been decimated over the last 18 months, finally those at the very top will have their salary come down to a realistic level. But no. Not to be. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

nice_guy80 wrote: »

the people at the top in every area of this country are laughing at the rest of us
    • universities
    Enlighten me please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

So in other words, the public servants earning 30,000 a year take the brunt of it but not the feckers getting more money than they realistically need. Feckers.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Enlighten me please!

top university people have in some cases got pay rises in the last year. as a reward for their cutting of other people's pay to cut costs

top university people have in some cases got pay rises in the last year. as a reward for their cutting of other people's pay to cut costs
    "In some cases"??

The bullet point "universities" represents over 20,000 people.

Care to rephrase?

"In some cases"??

The bullet point "universities" represents over 20,000 people.

Care to rephrase?

nope. i said the top people working in those areas. look at my original post.

nope. i said the top people working in those areas. look at my original post.
    My apologies, I know that extra pay cuts have been the staple in a particular case, so that is why I took issue, but in that case there has also been a reduction in wages at the top.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

makes me sick to hear this!

so its the normal people earning 30k with a partner at home out of work and still trying to pay off a mortgage that gets the cuts :mad:

kceire wrote: »
    makes me sick to hear this!

so its the normal people earning 30k with a partner at home out of work and still trying to pay off a mortgage that gets the cuts :mad:
    This is not about mortgages or people out of work.

It's a thread about senior civil servants' pay. Start another thread if you want, one called "I'm a public sector worker and want to rant" would probably get plenty of replies.

• Advertisement

This is not about mortgages or people out of work.

It's a thread about senior civil servants' pay. Start another thread if you want, one called "I'm a public sector worker and want to rant" would probably get plenty of replies.

This is about an exception being made of the top earning civil servants.

I think the ranter is entitled to rant.

Advertisement