Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking N97

• 25-12-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I have a N97 locked to 3, anyone know if it is possible to unlock this yet as I am loyal to meteor, and I hear 3's coverage is crap. I was able to change the product code using a program called JAF, but I believe this is only to allow unbranding and upgrading of the firmware. Phone is basically useless at the moment and I am limited to just browsing the web and checking emails, any help on the matter is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your correct in saying jaf wont do it.

I take it you are still on meteor and haven't bought the phone yet? If so buy it sim free online somewhere, either retailer, or from adverts, donedeal or ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Bought the phone of ebay at a very reasonable price to my understanding I need to get the seller to call three to retrieve the unlock code.

justryan wrote: »
    Bought the phone of ebay at a very reasonable price to my understanding I need to get the seller to call three to retrieve the unlock code.

The person who buys the phone from the network gets the unlock code.

Just noticed your using the other thread too, can you use this thread from now on to make it handier.

Yea I will post in this thread from now on

Would I be better off just getting a three SIM card then until someone figures out how to crack it? Are three any good? I have heard their network coverage is poor

** The advertisment for the phone stated that it was an unwanted upgrade, so I am presuming it was bought in Ireland

• Advertisement

Would I be better off just getting a three SIM card then until someone figures out how to crack it? Are three any good? I have heard their network coverage is poor

Well getting a 3 sim is better than not being able to use the phone.

I would be sending the phone back though. Paypal makes it easy to get your money back

The seller now says that Three gave him the same spiel about no information coming up on the IMEI number and this is why he sold it

The seller now says that Three gave him the same spiel about no information coming up on the IMEI number and this is why he sold it

Not your problem.

Its his problem. Then he has to get three to get him a code, or give him another handset which they can unlock. Bare in mind he could he fobbing you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Getting a 3sim is always an option. You should have no issues with coverage, I have been with 3 for years and never had any problems with coverage. Although if you bought the phone to unlock and can't I'd definately be in contact with the seller.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Unless the eBay auction stated the phone was unlocked, then the seller is perfectly in the clear.

Yes, but i took that justryan thought it was coming unlocked. If it was sold as locked to 3 then he has no comeback obviously.

Mr.S wrote: »
    justryan, try going to one of thoes many phone unlocking shops in the city center and see what they say, should cost you around 15-20euro. Getting an unlock code straight from Three is very hard, unless you've been with that a long time. Even then, i think you have to pay them a 20euro "admin" fee.

Not going to happen. Its a new type of security that cant been done here yet. I think a place in the uk is the closest, and it will cost you over 60 blips.

• Advertisement

why can it only be done in the uk can i ask? Im surd some clever sod will figure it out only a matter of time. Dont think there is any recourse for me sending it back, i got what i paid for but was unaware it had a new type of security, phone is in mint condition and at least for now i can use wifi. I have ordered a three sim off ebay do they offer PAYG? Or just bill their website is very vague

Advertisement