Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC R4 FM reception issue...

• 25-12-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't know whether to put this here or on one of the tech forums.
    Just want to know if anyone else on the east coast is experiencing severe interference on the FM band where BBC4 usually resides.
    It always comes in strong on 104.6Mhz, but since some time on wednesday a high pitched continuous drone has drowned it out....it sounds like some type of signal that is being broadcast on a nearby frequency, and I can still hear the station behind the noise, crackly and breaking up but it's there. LW and MW aren't really an option. Been using the iplayer to listen live but that's no good in the car or elsewhere. I tried it in a mates house the other end of town and still the same interference.
    We've had some issues surrounding the garda PULSE system in the area according to local papers (mainly TV interference though) so it might be that. I don't think it's a pirate station.
    Anyone any ideas? This is about the only station I can bear listening to over the holiday so not having it is pretty crappy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Get a roberts internet radio,radio 4 fm is available on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There is a temporary station on 104.2 and i105-107 are on 104.7 LMFM do or used to use 104.7. Have you tried tuning in the "drone" to find out where out what exact frequency it is on?

The unfortuante problem is that unless it is a pirate operator you won't have any grounds for complaint. Even if it is a pirate, technically it is not interfering with any service licenced in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dundalk EI7DAR

That 104.6Mhz BBC R4 transmitter is based at Camlough, Newry. Its receives a off air signal from Divis, Belfast. Have listened to this and it sounds like the problem is at the transmitter at Camlough. Report the problem here -
    https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/interferencePage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

decies wrote: »
    Get a roberts internet radio,radio 4 fm is available on it.

Saw one this Xmas at a pals house, they're the business. So much so my sister and uncle are going out to get one.:)

Yep i got mine just before xmas the only thing with internet is you got the whole rights problems.Like you can get bbc4fm and bbc 4 lw on the roberts,but you try if your interested,to get test match special on internet radio 4 LW no joy damn rights issue,you have to turn on Lw on analogue radio,(or listen to radio 2000 south africa).Same problem five live and five live sports extra the footy etc all blocked out.Whats going to happen when bbc radio goes all digital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Apparently, you can sometimes get around the rights issues by listening to local BBC stations instead. I don't know if this applies to cricket, though. This post might help.

Thanks anyway,i actually tried radio merseyside same rights issue problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sports coverage coming through on BBC London now. If you've Sky TV you can tune in some national BBC stations, but I know that's not always practical.

Before I got an internet radio I used to try and get Radio 4 on LW 198, it was a bit patchy...sometimes got clearer reception at night time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Greenman wrote: »
    Saw one this Xmas at a pals house, they're the business. So much so my sister and uncle are going out to get one.:)

Bought a grand DAB/FM/WIFI Radio in Marks & Spencers in Liffey Valley yesterday was 1/2 price at 45 yo yos. Dont know if they'll have any to-morrow think I got the last one - might be worth giving them a shout.

josh59 wrote: »
    Bought a grand DAB/FM/WIFI Radio in Marks & Spencers in Liffey Valley yesterday was 1/2 price at 45 yo yos.

Hows it working?

What brand?

Post a link if you have one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Hows it working?

What brand?

It's an M&S own brand it's called Digital Internet Radio - I tried to find it on the M&S website but it's not there. It must have been old stock or an old model but not bothered with that as it works fine. Simple in so far as there only a volume control - no tone or balance etc etc.

Still getting used to it - user interface is a bit combersome but what the heck for the money I paid it's grand :D

Hows it working?

What brand?

http://logikir100.tripod.com/Vistron.htm

josh59 wrote: »
    Still getting used to it - user interface is a bit combersome but what the heck for the money I paid it's grand :D

Know how you feel.

Was PC World Carrickmines about 18 months ago and picked up this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SLA5520-Wireless-Music-receiver/dp/B000F4NNXC for €20, its a bit buggy but works fairly well.

I like the Roberts 202 or even the new one from Logitech.
    decies wrote: »

Thanks for that link.:)

Advertisement