Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Mentawais

Options
  • 25-12-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Did someone surf the Mentawais? I want to book a surf trip to the Mentawais and need some recommendations about operators or agencies. We are six surfers and want to charter a surf boat. Any advises?
    I found a website with a great selection of boat trips. Does anyone have some experience with http://www.lineupexplorers.com?

:pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Been there before,there are tons of boats up there now,the smallest boat you can get is 6 persons,i'd recommend the boat ''Irish Mist'' the captain is a nut case,but they all are,he knows the islands really well.Google the boat name

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Been there before,there are tons of boats up there now,the smallest boat you can get is 6 persons,i'd recommend the boat ''Irish Mist'' the captain is a nut case,but they all are,he knows the islands really well.Google the boat name

Sorry to go at a tangent here, but what are the Mentawai's like?
    My missus is looking to head there for a surf trip. We're both intermediate and have surfed some heavy enough waves, and with some decent size, but goin by a lot of the pics I've seen they must be some seriously shallow waves??? Don't fancy coming home missing my face...
    What you make of the place??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 surfbreaks.ie

The Mentawaiis have all types of waves. There are waves that suit different levels of surfers but unless you rent the whole boat you may have to be prepared to sit it out at some spots if you dont like shallow barrels. Its a very remote spot and along way from hospitals etc. An amazing place however the Maldives may be a cheaper option and more suitable for those with less experience. The Telo islands North of Mentawaiis are also worth a look. I wouldnt advise going to the Mentawaiis if you havent surfed some of the other indo waves firstor have a decent bit of experience in good waves

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

loctite wrote: »
    Sorry to go at a tangent here, but what are the Mentawai's like?
    My missus is looking to head there for a surf trip. We're both intermediate and have surfed some heavy enough waves, and with some decent size, but goin by a lot of the pics I've seen they must be some seriously shallow waves??? Don't fancy coming home missing my face...
    What you make of the place??

The Mentawai's are insane,think about 1 of the cartoons you see with a small island in the ocean with 1 palm tree,then you got a picture of some of the islands up there.
    Like surfbreaks.ie said it's shallow reef which is the issue there,razor sharp finger coral,but thats not all the waves there,if you have chance to go,do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Spent three weeks in the southern maldives with lineupexplorers, twas one of the best trips of my life:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement