Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy in Kildare

Options
  • 25-12-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Am looking to finally buy and Kildare is one of the areas I am looking at, mainly Cellbridge, Maynooth and to a lesser extend Leizlip. Not looking to buy above 250k. What are peoples opinions on above areas. Which is the better, as I dont know Kildare that well, I know my way around Maynooth and Leizlip as I use to work out that way, but I dont know the area that well. Taking everything into consideration, Schools, public transport, and traffic as missus drives to work, to blanchardstown, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

Celbridge Celbridge Celbridge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Yeah thanks for the input loveforcelbridg??, its obviously gotta be Cellbridge then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Hmm arent there some SERIOUSLY rough parts of Celbridge complete with a junkie 'community' ?Cant say that about Maynooth or Leixlip as far as I know....It would be 1st Leixlip 2nd Maynooth and a very distant 3rd Celbridge for me ....(Theres a Celbridge poster who's said on here that they are more or less 'stranded ' in Celbridge in one of the 'rough' estates with an unsellable house-that wasnt you was it Loveforcelbridge ?!)There are boarded up houses in council estates in parts of Leixlip and parts of Maynooth which have had spates of muggings I will admit but Celbridge would still be my last choice .Im certain there are beautiful estates in Celbridge but what with kids hanging round outside the shopping centre ,some of the very grimy run down premises on Main Street ,that nightmare junction at the skinny bridge and 'The Junkies' etc...well thats my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I lived in Maynooth for 4 years and will be moving back there at some stage next year. I think it's a lovely place to live. For some reason Celbridge never appealed to me, I was always put off by it every time I went there. Leixlip gets a bad reputation sometimes but there are some lovely areas there and the village itself is quite nice I think. Maynooth out of the three of them has probably had the most money put in to it amenity wise with the shopping centres etc.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

It really does depend on what exactly you are looking for. and regardless of what is said on thread, EVERY town has a drug problem, but if you are into it them you'll know where they are kind of thing. I Don't like Maynooth village or the fact that it is a college town (my own personal reasons) although the Tesco there is great and you also have a supervalu and a Dunnes Stores, aldi and lidl. And a good dublin bus service with the train too. Leixlip I'm not keen on either, I just dont think there are the greatest facilities like there are in Maynooth. Although they do have a good bus service with 2 train stations. Celbridge is very built up, one train station which is actually a good distance outside the main street. A large Tesco, although not as good as the one in Maynooth and lots of really nice housing estates. and a decent enough bus service too.

So all in all, neither 3 would appeal to me. I always said when I was buying a house I would stay in Celbridge because this is where I am living now and where I have lives pretty much all my life. But I am buying and I'm moving out of celbridge.

I have heard Kilcock is nice. Have a few friends that bought out there and love it!! And no., I'm not moving to Kilcock! :P

• Advertisement

Cmon' the groves not THAT bad is it ?
    I dont know what other people think of it.
    The junkies will leave you alone if you leave them alone.
    The drug problem will most likely not affect you atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

as said before. everywhere has good and bad places.

no train in celbridge

I thought that Celbridge wasnt as build upnas the likes of Leixlip and Maynooth, well thats what I have been told. Drug probleams in Celbridge?? Never?? Hey welcome to Ireland!!! Drug probleams everwhere.

Trampas wrote: »
    as said before. everywhere has good and bad places.

no train in celbridge
    The train is in hazelhatch!
    Rafa1977 wrote: »
    I thought that Celbridge wasnt as build upnas the likes of Leixlip and Maynooth, well thats what I have been told. Drug probleams in Celbridge?? Never?? Hey welcome to Ireland!!! Drug probleams everwhere.
    Celbridge has a higher population than leixlip and maynooth. but not by much I dont think. maybe only a max of 5000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

I would have to say Leixlip would be the best out of the 3, brilliant schools, transport, lovely estates, nice restaurants and pubs. 2 GAA clubs, rugby club, canoe club.
    Celbridge main street is run down looking and the estates seem run down.
    Maynooth traffic is a nightmare no mather what part you live in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I don't think Leixlip can even compete with Maynooth,unless you find a better house for cheaper in Leixlip.

It is a long long time since i lived in Leixlip and I am only in Maynooth a few months but of course I already have opinions.
    In Maynooth you have a lot of your door step - aldi,lidl,dunnes,tescos,a university,what I am told is a good night life,a seat on the train because it is often a 1st stop and there are express trains to Maynooth in the evenings,excellent schools,a great selection of houses,lovely play grounds and a community spirit.
    I dunno Celbridge at all so can not comment,it was never on my places I want to live while working in the city.

God, you people are not making it easy for me!!!. I guess when it comes down to it, it will be all about price, but it has really informed me as before posting here I was told Cellbridge was the best place to go, but its good to hear different peoples prespective, cheers.

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    God, you people are not making it easy for me!!!. I guess when it comes down to it, it will be all about price, but it has really informed me as before posting here I was told Cellbridge was the best place to go, but its good to hear different peoples prespective, cheers.
    Do what I'm doing. . . . don't buy in either 3!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

im from leixlip but would probably give the nod to maynooth just about ahead of leixlip with celbridge miles behind the two.

maynooth has everything on your doorstep, living in leixlip you do have eurospar,lidl and supervalu but i find myself going to tesco in maynooth or lucan for times when i need a lot of things.
    if maynooth could solve the traffic problem itd be great!

leixlips problem is it is sandwiched between lucan/liffey valley and maynooth.everything you need is a few minutes in either direction with little actually being in the town itself. great bus and train service to town and our own nightlink route.
    some great restaurants in leixlip and a few nice pubs too.

celbridge.....meh...i just dont like the place, dont like the atmosphere round the town,the amount of skangers around the place of which there is a lot more of than maynooth and leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

All this talk about scangers in Celbridge......I just don't see it. Its really not that bad at all. I run a lot around Celbridge & Leixlip & sometimes Maynooth and have never had any bother at all. Scangers? There are just some kids that hang around and don't seem to do anymore than what I used to with my friends when I was 14. They never bother me or my GF. Its grand OP. I've lived in a few places to know what I'm talking about. Granted, in Celbridge, I've only lived in the Grove and Hazelhatch pk but unless I have to, I'm never moving out of here. Decent places to run too if thats your thing :D

What I will say about Celbridge town is that I'm not into the pubs there at all. I get the 20min train to Heuston and jump the Luas to town for a night out. Getting home is dead simple on the night link. Again I have never seen trouble on those. I'm sure it does happen though. The town has a brutal mix of shops, is also terrible for parking and sometimes traffic. I hate that. Ok, sounds like I hate the place, I don't. Just being honest about the town. It is safe though.

All three places would be good to live in IMO. There are some parts in each that are rougher than others.

Getting to Blanch would be easier from Leixlip or Maynooth if staying away from the toll. Your missus could get to the toll on the M50 pretty quickly from all three. Good luck with the house hunting OP.

Have you not seen the head on the grove and the burnt out van ?
    Sure, I dont thin'k it's a problem it just makes the area look bad.
    I don't think you could compare the estates to ones such as neilstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Have you not seen the head on the grove and the burnt out van ?

what head?

and no, I ahve not seen any burnt out van either...where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Where are those troublemakers in Celbridge then, I have never seen them or have had any kind of issues. Yes some lads doing nothing but no problems for me.

Even pubs are ok, except the one in main street where the whole pub stare at you when you go to visit, O´Connors I think it is, near the bus stop anyway.

But no major issues what so ever in Celbridge, safe and relatively quiet town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FIAT 00

hey...

If you don't mind driving a little bit longer you should go 4 Newbridge...you have everything ..a big shopping centre..train station and many other things ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

df1985 wrote: »

celbridge.....meh...i just dont like the place, dont like the atmosphere round the town,the amount of skangers around the place of which there is a lot more of than maynooth and leixlip.

would have to agree, bad vibe around celbridge, but a lot of rented houses in maynooth due to studens in maynooth college,
    any estates which dont have houses rented out would be way out of your price range, leixlip is a nice place with great bus and rail services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement