Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing Memory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

You've basically been robbed. I'd have the Garda involded.
    What's stopping him doing the same thing again to someone else...Garda need to know about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    God No, Gerry Ryan has no time for Boards.ie, and we for him

Besides being an asshole he tries too hard with technology sometimes, I've heard him spouting some shíte sometimes about tech things which were untrue didn't make sense. He's too much of a know it all.

Ray Darcy or Joe Duffy would be better IMO, they don't claim to know it all

:DRight, never listen to Irish radio so have no idea who's what. Just seems he's been around forever.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The_Edge wrote: »
    What's stopping him doing the same thing again to someone else...Garda need to know about him.
    He's already told the Gardai and they've said that it's a civil matter and they can't help. Seems to be their response when stuff gets too tricky for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

He's already told the Gardai and they've said that it's a civil matter and they can't help. Seems to be their response when stuff gets too tricky for them.
    It's pathetic. They should have at least one expert or some adviser in these areas. Disgrace tbh.

Excuse me guys, I am a girl:o

cardol wrote: »
    Excuse me guys, I am a girl:o
    I didn't want to assume it just because you weren't technical... ;)

Yeah, that's right. I'm into knitting, neddlepoint, heavily involved in the local WI, and organise lots of cake bakes. My buns are the talk of the town.....:rolleyes:

I sent PCGuy a registered letter on Tuesday 5th Jan telling him I would like my computer back in the exact state it was when I dropped it into his shop on Xmas Eve. If he agreed to that, I'd forget about everything else incuding the €150 I'd given him. Otherwise I'd start court proceedings. I gave him until Friday 8th Jan to let me know his decision. I rang the Post Office today and they said there was no-one at his shop to sign for the letter yesterday morning, so they left a note informing him of the letter and to collect it at the Post Office. As of today at 14.10, he still has not collected it.
    I guess he'll try to say he never got this letter now, but tough.:mad:

http://sapphirerubycoral.blogspot.com/

My buns are the talk of the town
    I'll bet. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,244 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Webmonkey wrote: »
    It's pathetic. They should have at least one expert or some adviser in these areas. Disgrace tbh.
    To Be Honest, it Is a civil matter. I dont think this case merits the power of arrest or anything. Im not sure what you expect the Gards to do but give him a 'stern talking to'.
    Yeah, that's right. I'm into knitting, neddlepoint, heavily involved in the local WI, and organise lots of cake bakes. My buns are the talk of the town.....:rolleyes: [Giggity - Over]

I sent PCGuy a registered letter on Tuesday 5th Jan telling him I would like my computer back in the exact state it was when I dropped it into his shop on Xmas Eve. If he agreed to that, I'd forget about everything else incuding the €150 I'd given him. Otherwise I'd start court proceedings. I gave him until Friday 8th Jan to let me know his decision. I rang the Post Office today and they said there was no-one at his shop to sign for the letter yesterday morning, so they left a note informing him of the letter and to collect it at the Post Office. As of today at 14.10, he still has not collected it.
    I guess he'll try to say he never got this letter now, but tough.:mad:

You can hire a solicitor to personally deliver the letter cant you?

Dont wait too long. In law iirc things usually deadline at typical marks like 30, 45, and 90 days. For us for instance, we have 90 days from the point of install [flooring] to file a Mechanic's Lien if a customer fails to pay the balance of their invoice, or we lose our rights in the case.

But again talk to a solicitor, it may even be the case that the Date of Postmark (not the date of Receipt) would be held up in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That guy is some chancer.

OK, I'm not sure what Date of Postmark and Date of Receipt mean.
    I wasn't able to check if he had got the letter yesterday (Friday) so I will now have to ring the P.O. on Monday. But I guess it's not my problem if he doesn't collect his mail after notification. I will still go ahead with sending him a court summons on Monday. However, because I will also be using registered post, he may not get it again, although he will have approx 6 weeks to saunter over to the P.O. I will ask the District Court about what my options are in making sure he receives this letter. Last thing I want is to turn up in court and find that he's not there and I have to issue another summons and wait till March to sort this out.
    It's costing me a fortune in Internet Cafes and I hate driving in this weather:mad:

PCGuy picked up his registered letter late Thursday afternoon. As I haven't heard from him, I can only assume he is still going to insist I give him another €150 for my computer and the second hand one.
    District Court offices unmanned today cos of weather, so I will have to try again tomorrow.

Meanwhile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

well done on following this through. im annoyed i wasn't able to stay around longer, but my exams had to be done!

im home again around the 22nd of january if you need anything.

Thanks RMC! He is really starting to piss me off, never thought he'd actually let it go this far! Will let you know if he caves. I've made a list of what hardware I had and have also found most of the receipts showing when and where I bought everything, just in case he tries to rip me off again if/when he returns my computer.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Don't know if this should be posting here or in consumer issues,

Chipset : Intel® 945GSE Express
    Memory2 : 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM (1 × 1024MB)
    1 DDR2 slot total, 0 DDR2 slots available
    Hard Drive3 : 160GB SATA

When I check the computer there is 139GB actual, I know you can lose a few GB but 21 GB is a bit much :(
    Have I any recourse?

Windows reports what size is available on the disk to use and your Bios reports the total size of teh disk. They will always differ and I wouldn't be concerned with the difference you've found, its prob about right.

• Advertisement

Cardol, you really should start your own thread on this as its on someone elses problem! PCguy should be hung out to dry. Contact the National Consumer Agency and report it. They will look into it.

Result!!!!:D
    PCGuy texted me this morning and said he had put my computer back together again at "no extra charge" and I could collect it. I sped down there before he changed his mind and took the computer to the Internet Cafe I'd been using for the last few weeks. They confirmed I had most of my hardware back as it was (no cables were connected though...) except they couldn't be sure about the motherboard and the hard drive. But I'm back with the spcs I had before PCGuy got his hands on it.
    The only problem I now have is the screen resolution is too large and I have no option available to reduce it. It is now 800x600 pixels and the colour quality is medium (16 bit). The drop down options is no longer there. I am used to having the resolution at 1150x864 so this taking a bit of getting used to!:rolleyes:
    I now have a Cirrus Logic 5446 compatible graphics adaptor but I'm afraid I don't know if I've always had that.

Well done...hope the computer is ok.

He probably hasn't installed the graphics drivers...

Excellent, a result of sorts anyway. I agree with Webmonkey, graphics drivers probably just need to be downloaded and installed. Still won't go near that guy though for the shoddy service he gave you.

Well done...hope the computer is ok.

He probably hasn't installed the graphics drivers...

After some Internet research, it turns out the graphics adaptor was ancient back in 2006! It only supports OS up to WinNT! Clearly, whatever I used to have wasn't put back, he probably sold it.:mad:
    Still, at least I've got my PC back, I can sort everything out at a later date.:)

• Advertisement

After some Internet research, it turns out the graphics adaptor was ancient back in 2006! It only supports OS up to WinNT! Clearly, whatever I used to have wasn't put back, he probably sold it.:mad:
    Still, at least I've got my PC back, I can sort everything out at a later date.:)
    He's a crazy guy. I guess at least you got it back, but it were me I'd most definitely be going back to them to get my card back or an equivalent!

Cardol, you really should start your own thread on this as its on someone elses problem! PCguy should be hung out to dry. Contact the National Consumer Agency and report it. They will look into it.

Maximus, if there was to be a separate thread for this issue, do I start it myself or does one of the mods do it? I'd like to keep all the posts relating to it together if poss, but I do agree that it should have it's own title/header along the lines of "Computer Repair in Clonmel" or something like that so it comes up in a Google search and people are warned.

He's a crazy guy. I guess at least you got it back, but it were me I'd most definitely be going back to them to get my card back or an equivalent!
    I have no intention of bringing my PC or myself anywhere near him again. I don't trust myself to not throw something at him.:D I'll see what the guys in the Internet Cafe can do instead.

http://sapphirerubycoral.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html

ha yeah well best luck with it. Those internet cafe guys sound quite helpful :p

if your able to wait, ill be down on the 21st i reckon and we can get it all back to working order.
    if you want, i can have a look about for a free/very cheap gpu on adverts. shouldn't cost much at all.

small update, just off the phone to cardol,
    the graphics card the shop put in is utter ****e compared to what she had.

so im going to try pick up something from adverts, but obviously i need to know what motherboard she has.

any recommendations on what program to run to find out?
    hopefully she will be able to download it, run it, and tell me what mobo she has since im in letterkenny :p

http://www.gtopala.com/

That will do the job. Tis free too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

this will do it also, doesnt need to be installed, just run the .exe and it displays a summary

mid wrote: »
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy

this will do it also, doesnt need to be installed, just run the .exe and it displays a summary

perfect. didnt know of that program!

excellent!

http://www.gtopala.com/

That will do the job. Tis free too

Just downloading software now........:)

I've added the specs as an attachment, hope it can be seen:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any AGP video card will do the job there.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=174959&cat=8

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=148933&cat=8

Hey, I might have one handy here you can have for nothing. I'll check in a wee while and post back

Any AGP video card will do the job there.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=174959&cat=8

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=148933&cat=8

Hey, I might have one handy here you can have for nothing. I'll check in a wee while and post back
    :)You're brilliant!

I've an AGP one here too but it's quite basic but it do the job. Dual output. Let me know if you stuck and I can try post it up...I'll test it first though

What do you think RMC? You know more about this than I do!

I've an AGP one here too but it's quite basic but it do the job. Dual output. Let me know if you stuck and I can try post it up...I'll test it first though

I think it's a Radeon 7200 I have here somewhere. What do U have Webmonkey? Best to send whatever is the better of the two. :)

Might be a few other bits and pieces lying about you're more then welcome too :)

Its at home in Kerry unfort and won't be there until Friday evening... I don't think it beats yours so we go with that I'd say! :)

Fantastic:) RMC will be down here next week, he will know what my PC needs more than I do (not too techie really:rolleyes:no matter how hard I try!)

I'll check what bits I have and post them here. We'll get ya up and running hopefully soon cardol :)

I'll check the card works ok before hand.

Brilliant guys, thanks a bunch:)

Will have to buy you all a drink:)

• Advertisement

I'm glad to hear that this is working out, but that PC shop guy is a thief. It's a pisser that he's keeping some of your stuff.

Would love to help out with parts, but I gave all my stuff away last year. I could give you power cables and one bog standard Logitech USB laser mouse. :)

Hi Monkeypants, thanks for the offer. I actually used to have a Logitech wireless mouse for about 6 years and loved it but it broke last 2 months ago and I couldn't find the same brand again so I bought a Labtech wireless mouse which eats up batteries.:)
    So if you have a Logitech mouse you no longer need, I'll gladly take it off your hands.;)

Just went upstairs to get it for testing and it's not there. Must have given it away. However, I do have this and it works 100%. If you want it, just PM me the nameand address you want it sent to.

Hi Monkeypants, I'll stick with the Labtech I have! This name doesn't inspire confidence -
    DELL Optical Mouse, 5 бутона, черна, USB стар продукт

The word "crap" worries me:D

Thanks tho':)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Just in relation to your blog where you say you aren't sure if you will take him to court, look at it this way. Your pc is now worse than it was and you are €190 out of pocket, never mind the incredible amount of time he has wasted to get this sorted. If I was in your shoes I'd definitely go for it, if not he'll just try the same crap with someone else.

He is doing the same thing with other people Blowfish. Because my PC is so much worse now than it ever was before it went into his shop, he has violated the terms of my letter to him where I said I would drop further proceedings if he returned my PC to me in the exact state it was going into his shop. Therefore, I am still entitled to take him to court, although he might argue that I've got my PC back.
    But since he has either sold my stuff or has promisd it to someone else, and given me crap instead, he is still massivly in the wrong. But I have until the end of this month to decide what to do about him in order to summons him to the court sitting on 26th February. If a judge ordered him to replace the parts in my PC with hardware of a similiar age and capabilities I still wouldn't hand my PC back to him. I would insist on a monetary value and also compensation for the sheer inconvenience he put me under.

• Advertisement

Hi Monkeypants, I'll stick with the Labtech I have! This name doesn't inspire confidence -
    DELL Optical Mouse, 5 бутона, черна, USB стар продукт

The word "crap" worries me:D

Thanks tho':)
    :D

I didn't think of that, it was just the first decent picture of it that I came across. I've had it for three years and it's worked fine all that time.

To those of you out there in Boards.ie who have offered to help me, can you please let me know if you still can help me?
    I am planning to take PCGuy to court and will need to inform him formally before the first week in January.
    Basically, I want to take him to court for substituting my computer hardware with substandard parts that do not work with my PC. If you out there still want to help me, then I can get my PC fixed for a small amount of money. But if you don't have the parts to ship to me, then I will have to go to another PC repair company (more reliable than PCGuy) and cough up the requirement and just hope I can get PCGuy to reimburse me when it goes to court at the end of February.
    Please, please let me know.......

Hi Cardol, unfort that card has disappeared here :(

Best luck with the case.

Just pm'd you there cardol.
    Will send the card down to you Monday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

RoyalMarineComm came to my house at 5.30pm Wednesday 23 Dec, and he listened while I got PCGuy around to fix the broken PC he'd lent me. He then asked PCGuy to explain his actions, PCGuy got very angry, said my PC was still in his shop and he would be there from 10am to 5pm the next day. He said I could have my PC back. He then stormed out of my house and sent a garbled text saying exactly what he had done, including formatting the hard drive and reinstalling WinXP and MS Office. He said he had done more than €150 worth of work.
    The next morning we dropped off the broken PC he lent me and as he wasn't actually in the shop at 10am like he said he'd be, we waited approx 30 minutes. His colleague couldn't contact him via mobile and I also rang and he wasn't picking up. In the end, his colleague said we should go get a coffee and he'd let us know when PCGuy came in. At 12.16pm, PCGuy rang me and said he was now in the shop. We went back there and were told I'd have to pay €150 to collect my PC and also take away the broken one he lent me. I had to come into town twice for this and each time parked in Mary Street carpark, opposite the PCGuy's shop.
    We went to the Gardai, who rang him and he began talking about taking us to court and still insisting I could take both PC's home with me if I gave him another €150. The Gardai said they couldn't get involved as it was his word against mine and it was now a civil matter. They recommended a civil law solicitor, but everywhere was closed until 4 January.
    I went home and rang every solicitor in town and finally got someone who agreed to call PCGuy and put pressure on him. But PCGuy told him my hard drive was intact and he was entitled to €150 for the 2 PC's. When I then contacted him, it turns out he was talking about the uploaded software he'd re-installed last week, while letting the solicitor believe he was talking about my original hard drive.
    I am typing this in an Internet Cafe as I now have no computer and the District Court's next sitting is in February.
    I can't believe this is allowed to happen and that I have to wait a month or more to get my PC back, even though he hasn't even fixed it. He wants to sell it and build me a new PC on the money he makes, but all I wanted wa my PC fixed.

U cant trust anyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement