Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

danniemcq wrote: »
    japanese Popstars excellent! Whats the chances the heatehrs stage will empty as soon as that discover ireland song is played?

Guessing Heathers will be more a Body & Soul second stage job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Rubberbandits feat Crystal Swing are also playing.

Genius booking or insanely bad? You decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have gone to Electric Picnic every year except for the first one but after attending Glastonbury last weekend (1st time) I am seriously re considering going to EP this year.

I know Glastonbury is on a totally different scale in terms of size and amount of acts to EP but a lot of people say EP is the Irish Glastonbury. There were a number of things that made me realise how ripped off we get at festivals here.

1. There is no hassle bringing cans of beer into the festival ground at any time. You can even bring them into the various pubs and drink tents dotted around the place. There is no hassle by security about not being allowed bringing in cans to the main area as there is every year at EP

2. The bars opened all night. Compared to EP where the bars are shut by 11pm

3. Once you show your ticket at the entrance gates you get a booklet that can be put around your neck that has a map of the area and details of who is playing and various other aspects of the festival. At EP you have to pay over 10 euro for that.

4. You could buy a hot meal and a soft drink for 5 pound. You are looking at 10 euro plus at EP.

5. The price of the ticket for Glastonbury was 185 pound. At todays exchange rate you are looking at 220 euro. Less than the EP price and there are things going on for 5 days as opposed to just 3 at EP.

If I had never gone to Glastonbury I probably wouldnt have many issues with EP (well not being allowed bring drink into the main area has always annoyed me) but now that I have gone I think I have been spoilt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I knew they were both playing, I didn't know it was going to be together!
    I'd say it will be insanely bad AND a genius booking. There'll be a huge crowd at that I'd think, just going for a laugh, out of curiosity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

gazzer wrote: »
    I have gone to Electric Picnic every year except for the first one but after attending Glastonbury last weekend (1st time) I am seriously re considering going to EP this year.

I know Glastonbury is on a totally different scale in terms of size and amount of acts to EP but a lot of people say EP is the Irish Glastonbury. There were a number of things that made me realise how ripped off we get at festivals here.

1. There is no hassle bringing cans of beer into the festival ground at any time. You can even bring them into the various pubs and drink tents dotted around the place. There is no hassle by security about not being allowed bringing in cans to the main area as there is every year at EP

This is because EP is sponsored by Drinks companies to bump up the budget for bands etc.

2. The bars opened all night. Compared to EP where the bars are shut by 11pm

This is because we live in a badly run country with clowns in government. The bars are made close by the gardaí

3. Once you show your ticket at the entrance gates you get a booklet that can be put around your neck that has a map of the area and details of who is playing and various other aspects of the festival. At EP you have to pay over 10 euro for that.

EP have no excuse for this. Really, really lousy

4. You could buy a hot meal and a soft drink for 5 pound. You are looking at 10 euro plus at EP.

It is really more 10e or just under. The collapse of sterling taints this dramatically. If you went to Glasto a few years back it would be a similar price to EP.

5. The price of the ticket for Glastonbury was 185 pound. At todays exchange rate you are looking at 220 euro. Less than the EP price and there are things going on for 5 days as opposed to just 3 at EP.

Similar to the last point but the price would be a lot more expensive for Glasto

If I had never gone to Glastonbury I probably wouldnt have many issues with EP (well not being allowed bring drink into the main area has always annoyed me) but now that I have gone I think I have been spoilt :D

Basically Glasto is possibly the best festival in the world and has been going 40 years, 3.5 decades longer than EP. Glasto was set-up more for the people than to make money (although i am sure eavis well knew what he was doing money wise). If I had the choice i would be at Glasto every year but its just not that simple with the demand for tickets and how famous it is. Also the line-up is so good for Glasto as it is so well known that bands bend their tour schedules around for the festival itself, they do not usually do that for any other festival in the world

• Advertisement

df1985 wrote: »
    Do people reckon we've had the major headliners/acts all announced at this stage or will a few more big ones be added? Its lacking a bit for me personally, still plenty to see but it just needs one or two more big acts and a few more djs and id be there.

I'd be surprised if there was another 'big' name announced. I think the headliners are already in place. I agree it's lacking a bit name wise alright but with every announcement it is getting slightly better and it's a good line-up now. I'm at 6 must sees now & at least 20 others that I'd like to check out. As long as there isn't too many clashes, I reckon I could see 5 or 6 good acts a day, which isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Loving the dance additions!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

does anyone know when the line up for the comedy tent will be announced cause its all im short of knowing to make my weekend perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well they've shared a stage with Richie Kavanagh last xmas so they have form. More like genius marketing me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Arcadia Spectacular sent me this video on facebook today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_NL_aUMCw

the message afterwards said see you at electric picnic 2010........GREAT NEWS!!!! was one of the highlights of the entire festival for me last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Genius booking

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoWithTheFlow

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hang on - have Beach House been dropped from the line-up. Can't see them mentioned on the site anymore.

Found original email containing lineup and they were defo on it!!!

eh where have foals gone from the line up on the website too?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They are on the latest poster.
    Public Image Ltd were missing from the line-up page for weeks after the initial announcement but are there now. I'd say they just fecked up when updating the page with the latest additions and removed Foals by mistake. I hope so anyway, looking forward to seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

anybody know wat time the arcadia stage finished last year? memory is a bit fuzzy was one of the higlights last year.cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

Does anyone know what company is providing Security to the festival this year? I'd imagine its too late to apply at this stage but it would still be useful to know for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I like the lineup. After last years fiasco can anyone tell me :

Why can't I use a small camping gaz stove for me tea ? Where does it say that in the EP FAQ ?

Where does it say about no beer into arena ?

Where does it say the bar opening hours in the FAQ ? And given the utter idiocy of last year, when the bars closed with thousands still flooding in coz the coppers couldn't guide a route for cars that didn't take 4 hours to drive everyone left feeling ****e.

And worst of all not bothering to clean out the loos but once a day. This more than anything makes EP the worst festival of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

trellheim wrote: »

Why can't I use a small camping gaz stove for me tea ? Where does it say that in the EP FAQ ?

Where does it say the bar opening hours in the FAQ ? And given the utter idiocy of last year, when the bars closed with thousands still flooding in coz the coppers couldn't guide a route for cars that didn't take 4 hours to drive everyone left feeling ****e.

And worst of all not bothering to clean out the loos but once a day. This more than anything makes EP the worst festival of them all.

Fiasco ?

...EP the worst festival of them all.

:confused:
    Have you read the Oxegen thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Can't see them in the FAQ however all of these were standard and have been in place at EP for years. I'm pretty sure I saw them written somewhere, perhaps on the forums.

Was last year your first year at EP? You know the rules are in place now so they shouldn't be a surprise to you this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Anyone know anything about volunteering? Forgot to apply and I know some people who have been accepted. Do they usually open again?

• Advertisement

Can't see them in the FAQ however all of these were standard and have been in place at EP for years. I'm pretty sure I saw them written somewhere, perhaps on the forums.

They're not on the ticket or on the FAQ, neither are/were on a notice at the entrance.

If they're standard they'd be written down rather than be arbitrarily made up to suit whatever silly whim of a security guard has at the time.

Compare, for example

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/faq/

with

http://www.readingfestival.com/info/index.aspx?id=401

to take one small example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If they're standard they'd be written down rather than be arbitrarily made up to suit whatever silly whim of a security guard has at the time.

What rules were made up on a whim by a security guard?

When I was there the security uniformly changed their approach at certain times. It was annoying alright - at one point you could take in plastic bottles without caps and then suddenly it was stopped. However it was stopped by all of them so it obviously was a decision made by management and not a 'silly whim'.

You've established that you're unhappy about the rules. Do you want EP to apologise to you personally before you'll deem the festival worthy of your presence again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

anybody know wat time the arcadia stage finished last year? memory is a bit fuzzy was one of the higlights last year.cheers

4am on the Friday and Sat. Might be earlier on the Sunday.

Do you want EP to apologise to you personally before you'll deem the festival worthy of your presence again?

no. be waiting a while for that I would say, although if they want to come on and debate the imposition of arbitrary rules that either are or appear to be made up on a whim I'm game.

As I said, contrast EP FAQ with the Reading FAQ link for how to impart knowledge of a professionally run and enjoyable festival rather than a urine stenched cheerless event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As I said, contrast EP FAQ with the Reading FAQ link for how to impart knowledge of a professionally run and enjoyable festival rather than a urine stenched cheerless event.

So you're not going this year then?

Reading??? the festival that turns into a full blown riot on sunday nights??

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

lads re the security

i found last year that if you treated them well and had a laugh with them you could do what you wanted. we snuck in rakes of booze into the main stage and because we where nice to the lads and ladies in the vests we where grand..

not saying anyone gave security grief but all i am saying is that i didnt and i had a laugh and a joke with them and i got my booze and 'other things' in without issue

The FAQ could be better. It would be nice if you were allowed bring your own drink into the main arena. The toilets aren't great. You can't bring some gas burner thing (first time I heard this but take it that it is true) for a cup of tea. All this is true, but it wouldn't stop me from going, if the line-up was good, which it is, and if I'm going to have a good time, which I will. A lot of things you're complaining about aren't specific to EP, they're pretty much part of any festival/gig.

lads re the security

i found last year that if you treated them well and had a laugh with them you could do what you wanted. we snuck in rakes of booze into the main stage and because we where nice to the lads and ladies in the vests we where grand..

not saying anyone gave security grief but all i am saying is that i didnt and i had a laugh and a joke with them and i got my booze and 'other things' in without issue

I'd totally agree with this.

We were camped beside a group who were robbing all round them, throwing things and generally just acting the dick. security came over to watch them, and asked could they sit with us until they saw them doing something, as they must have proof before they can act on anything theyve been told they were up to.

we said yeah of course ya can, had some craic with them. At this point though i was worse for wear on "other things" and was paranoid theyd cop it and id be getting done too. They simply asked me was i ok, that they werent there to ruin peoples weekends within reason, and they were more concerned for my health than what i was taking. they came back an hour later to check on me again.

I found the security to be very laid back in general, i got drink into the arena the whole weekend and was never stopped at all inside.even the gardai were sound inside.

• Advertisement

Jaysus that's two questions now AnonoBoy is this like mandatory Q&A or is opinion sharing gone from the Internet now ?

I was led to believe it was well run. The reality is very different, and not really different to Oxegen bar a slightly higher age profile.

Advertisement