Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

df1985 wrote: »
    Reading??? the festival that turns into a full blown riot on sunday nights??
    And the festival where any band whom the crowd takes a dislike to gets hit with a five-minute barrage of bottles.(cracking line-up though.)

I wonder if I took a gander at some British forums would the posters be waxing lyrical about the impeccably-run far-off land of milk and honey that is Electric Picnic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

#A lot of things you're complaining about aren't specific to EP, they're pretty much part of any festival/gig

A fair point - one I'm trying to get over is specifically that while Reading may have its issues and by lord it does, at least they've told you

1: NO BEER IN THE ARENA

2: NO GAS STOVES

. I've been to other festivals. EP music lineup is nice but not worth the inconvenience until they clean it up and fly right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    The FAQ could be better. It would be nice if you were allowed bring your own drink into the main arena.

It would be nice but it's not going to happen as the drinks companies who sponsor them would not make any money. It is however quite easy to take drink into the main arena and once inside nobody seems to bother you about drinking it.
    trellheim wrote: »
    A fair point - one I'm trying to get over is specifically that while Reading may have its issues and by lord it does, at least they've told you

1: NO BEER IN THE ARENA

2: NO GAS STOVES

I've been going to EP since the first year and I can't tell you exactly where but I have definitely seen the 'no booze in main arena' and no 'gas stoves' written down somewhere. I'm almost sure it was on their FAQ previously.

I'm curious as to it doesn't seem to be there anymore.
    EP music lineup is nice but not worth the inconvenience until they clean it up and fly right.

Besides the beer and gas stove things (and the toilets) - what else do they need to do to 'fly right' as you put it?
    I was led to believe it was well run. The reality is very different, and not really different to Oxegen bar a slightly higher age profile.

There were issues with the toilets last year alright but besides that I wouldn't say it's not well run. You seem to be focusing on the beer/gas stove issue but the vast majority of people knew this in advance (at least I did) and so I don't think you being inconvenienced equates with the whole festival being badly run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

On the whole 'drink in the arena' thing. I stayed in family camping last year, and was never ONCE stopped from going into the arena with drink, and they never once searched my bag (which usually had 3 or 4 cans in it).

I genuinely didn't realise til I met up with friends that were staying in Oscar Wilde on the Sunday that we were only allowed drink in the campsites. I was wondering round the arena with a can of Bud in my hand for a lot of the weekend, and security never said anything to me. Really strange that there seemed to be one rule for us family campers and another for everyone else - even though I'm not complaining of course!!

Ticket came in the post today so roll on EP, seriously can't wait for Leftfield :D:D:D

I was wondering round the arena with a can of Bud in my hand for a lot of the weekend, and security never said anything to me.

They only stop you taking it into the arena. They never stop you drinking it once you're in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

They only stop you taking it into the arena. They never stop you drinking it once you're in there.

This is untrue. I can't remember which year it was (i think it was two years ago), but they had a 'chain' of security people randomly walking through the crowds looking for people who were drinking out of bottles/cans etc and taking it off them.

Hackysack wrote: »
    This is untrue. I can't remember which year it was (i think it was two years ago), but they had a 'chain' of security people randomly walking through the crowds looking for people who were drinking out of bottles/cans etc and taking it off them.

Really? I've never seen that in any of the four years I've attended the Picnic.

They don't let you into tents if you're obviously drinking from the cans but it's not too hard to slip by and I've never seen then take cans off people.

I could see that they might take glass bottles off people though as you're not supposed to have glass bottles anywhere on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hackysack wrote: »

Losers, they should be pouring the cans into the cups. Think about it. Think, think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

You are allowed bring drink into the Arena once the bars close . I think was at 10 or 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Really? I've never seen that in any of the four years I've attended the Picnic.

They don't let you into tents if you're obviously drinking from the cans but it's not too hard to slip by and I've never seen then take cans off people.

I could see that they might take glass bottles off people though as you're not supposed to have glass bottles anywhere on site.

Yeah it was really poor form. It was inside some of the tents as well. I don't think they upheld that practice last year. But yeah they were right cnuts going around and doing it. But as Homerun Homer said, it could have easily been averted by throwing the drink into the cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Losers, they should be pouring the cans into the cups. Think about it. Think, think about it.

what i did with my cans its the most sensible thing ha, i found security last year to be sound, twice i offered to buy cans off the security guard and i paid him in the form of a hotdog, 20 cans for two hotdogs was a good deal i thought, he let me leave ten for when i was goin back into the arena, with regards to informing people you could bring cans in after the bars shut yeah that should be brought up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Oxegen veteran here, I have shunned the aforementioned in favor of the picnic this year.Can anyone summize the experience that awaits me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Oxegen veteran here, I have shunned the aforementioned in favor of the picnic this year.Can anyone summize the experience that awaits me!

ScannersExplodingHead.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

its people like you we dont want at the picnic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

It would be nice but it's not going to happen as the drinks companies who sponsor them would not make any money. It is however quite easy to take drink into the main arena and once inside nobody seems to bother you about drinking it.

Oh ya, I know the reason for it. I was just making the point that it wouldn't stop me going.
    Last year was my first time going & I didn't know you weren't allowed bring drink in. I walked in with cans on the Friday night, it wasn't till Sat/Sun we were stopped. And we were walking around inside drinking them, no problems. I'm pretty sure I even walked into one of the tents without them being taken off us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's substantially more laidback than Oxegen, but it's not some magical sparkly fairyland or anything. Your tent is about 2834238723% less likely to be slashed, but in my experience - and maybe I imagined it - there seems to be a slight snobbery towards beer-drinkin' types like myself. It's uh, more of smokers festival in that regard. ;)

Don't act the twat with security, and they'll be cool with you, but don't go strolling with glass bottles or a massive blunt in hand through the gates or anything.

There aren't as many big names, but the actual general standard of acts seems a lot higher - pick out a few you want to see for definite, but otherwise you're better off just wandering around to see what catches your eye (or ear). It's a lot more pleasant to be at, generally, lots of spaces to hang out lazily listening to bands you've never heard before or chatting with folks you'd never otherwise meet. Good stuff.

Two Door Cinema Club have confirmed themselves. Another good addition.
    Hopefully a few more that played Oxegen will be added as well.
    Line-up keeps getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

Last year both Florence and Two Door Cienma Club were announced at the end of July so I'm still holding out for at least one more attractive name that will pull me into going this year.

Vampire Weekend would make my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

- there seems to be a slight snobbery towards beer-drinkin' types like myself. It's uh, more of smokers festival in that regard. ;)

There is a slight snobbery to vomiting into peoples mouths but can't say I've noticed an anti beer vibe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Toast wrote: »
    There is a slight snobbery to vomiting into peoples mouths but can't say I've noticed an anti beer vibe.

Yep. Complete nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

The hours for alcohol sales are also not widely published, and IMHO finish far too soon.

trellheim wrote: »
    The hours for alcohol sales are also not widely published, and IMHO finish far too soon.

Off license hours. You think they WANT to close the bars early??!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

id really like to see bell x1 or mgmt.. this'll be my first EP

id really like to see bell x1 or mgmt.. this'll be my first EP

If you are not taking the piss i am afraid you are a year late :|

Splainc wrote: »
    If you are not taking the piss i am afraid you are a year late :|

i meant because they were there last year, i'd love to see them back

They were at EP last year?

Really?

Completely managed to avoid them both thank God. :)

Tenks wrote: »
    Last year both Florence and Two Door Cienma Club were announced at the end of July so I'm still holding out for at least one more attractive name that will pull me into going this year.

Vampire Weekend would make my day.

Vampire Weekend will be touring the US when EP is on unfortunately.

Really? MGMT were the most talked about disaster of the whole festival.

I don't know anything about EP to be honest.. I just like their (MGMT) music. I have no idea if they were good for that type of atmosphere or not..

The decision to go only came about yesterday, so all I know really is that its on in Laois:D

• Advertisement

Comedy acts announced:
    Mario Rosenstock (Gift Grub), Ardal O'Hanlon, Phil Jupitus, Jim Eoin, Ed Byrne, Reginald D Hunter, The Stars of Who's Line is it Anyway, Colin Murphy, The Rubberbandits, Dead Cat Bounce, Glenn Wool, Joe Rooney, Karl Spain, Eleanor Tiernan, Dermot Whelan, Brendan Burke, Danny Dowling and Gerry McBride. MCs for the weekend are Andrew Stanley and Damian Clarke.

Advertisement