Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Splainc wrote: »
    Nope. Tallest Man on Earth is confirmed on his myspace but not by EP so will be at least one more small announcement
    two door cinema club announced themselves 2 days ago, so i'd say EP have a few more still to announce...

Yip & 2 others are These New Puritans & Hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Dont know if these were announced previously but just got email:

Gift Grub
    Ardal O Hanlon
    Phill Jupitus
    Jim Eoin
    Ed Byrne
    Reginald D Hunter
    The Stars Of Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    plus more

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

EP apparently treated them like **** in 2008, and had massively slashed their budget, so they decided not to bother trying to put together a lineup/tent on a small budget, and just concentrate on their own events.

That's such a pity ... it generally always 'made' EP for me. Last year's EP was very disappointing for a number of reasons and that was definitely one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

kc66 wrote: »
    Dont know if these were announced previously but just got email:

Gift Grub
    Ardal O Hanlon
    Phill Jupitus
    Jim Eoin
    Ed Byrne
    Reginald D Hunter
    The Stars Of Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    plus more

That's a GREAT line-up.

Reginald D Hunter is ****ing hilarious when he appears on those Panel shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Nope. Tallest Man on Earth is confirmed on his myspace but not by EP so will be at least one more small announcement
    two door cinema club announced themselves 2 days ago, so i'd say EP have a few more still to announce...

Hurts also announced they are playing on their website.

Opr

• Advertisement

No, they've got other stuff on around that time and as far as I know they've announced all the festivals they're doing this year. I daresay Oxegen probably had a national exclusivity thing with them too, I know Reading/Leeds did in the UK.

Ya I was wondering when I didn't see them on the line-up for TITP. I presumed that might be the reason for it alright.

It is a shame EP didn't get them. We'll have to settle for Wolf Parade. Their indie rock band from Canada too. Same thing :D
    Their not quite as good imo, but I do like them. They have a few decent songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I was just about to say he's on the line-up page, but he isn't. He definitely was there a few weeks ago though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Toast wrote: »
    Odds are they'll be back in the O2 before the end of the year.

Yeah, as far as I understand Oxegen and 02 were sort of a package negotiation. There were a couple of practical factors involved in making Oxegen the winner over EP for them - obvious paycheck difference aside - but personally, I woulda preferred to see 'em in Stradbally, and hopefully they've seen the error in their ways.
    H8GHOTI wrote: »
    It is a shame EP didn't get them. We'll have to settle for Wolf Parade. Their indie rock band from Canada too. Same thing :D
    Their not quite as good imo, but I do like them. They have a few decent songs.

At Mount Zoomer was a bit of a let down, but Expo 86 is solid and Wolf Parade are cracking live, absolutely cracking. I'll Believe In Anything is one of the best songs of the last ten years, IMHO, and if I could make it to EP this year, I'd run over a stack of burning hippies to make it to their set.

Wolf Parade and Arcade Fire are kind of sister bands incidentally, some of Arcade Fire used to be in Wolf Parade and vice versa. They're still very closely related, they help out on each other's albums and record in each other's gaffs, etc.

Yeah, as far as I understand Oxegen and 02 were sort of a package negotiation. There were a couple of practical factors involved in making Oxegen the winner over EP for them - obvious paycheck difference aside - but personally, I woulda preferred to see 'em in Stradbally, and hopefully they've seen the error in their ways.

Hopefully they have & if they come back again in the next few years they'll play EP.
    At Mount Zoomer was a bit of a let down, but Expo 86 is solid and Wolf Parade are cracking live, absolutely cracking. I'll Believe In Anything is one of the best songs of the last ten years, IMHO, and if I could make it to EP this year, I'd run over a stack of burning hippies to make it to their set.

That is my favourite song of theirs, it is really good. It's the first song I heard & it enticed me to listen to more. Glad to hear they're good live, look forward to seeing them now. Shame you can't make it.
    Wolf Parade and Arcade Fire are kind of sister bands incidentally, some of Arcade Fire used to be in Wolf Parade and vice versa. They're still very closely related, they help out on each other's albums and record in each other's gaffs, etc.

Ya seen that the drummer played drums on Wake Up.

My first time going this year, was wondering if you guys could help me out. It says no more than 48 cans, and it says no glass bottles. Does this mean if I bring vodka and mixer in plastic bottles I can bring as much as I want??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Got accepted for Body And Soul! Does anyone know what the shifts are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

My first time going this year, was wondering if you guys could help me out. It says no more than 48 cans, and it says no glass bottles. Does this mean if I bring vodka and mixer in plastic bottles I can bring as much as I want??

I would presume so. They won't be able to quiz everyone on the number of units of alcohol people are bringing in. Anyway, if you are driving or getting a lift and the car is being parked in the car parks then keep most of it in the car and come back the following day to collect what you need, It also cuts down on the heavy carrying load upon arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The can thing is to stop people bringing in beer to sell. If you arrive with a trolley loaded up with slabs to "yourself" they'll stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Toast wrote: »
    The can thing is to stop people bringing in beer to sell. If you arrive with a trolley loaded up with slabs to "yourself" they'll stop you.

Even if you get the beer past the entrance you have to drink it at your campsite or 'outside' the festival area as in order to screw as much money from us as possible the security teams search you going into the festival area so that you have to buy the overpriced pints at the bar stalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

gazzer wrote: »
    Even if you get the beer past the entrance you have to drink it at your campsite or 'outside' the festival area as in order to screw as much money from us as possible the security teams search you going into the festival area so that you have to buy the overpriced pints at the bar stalls.
    The restrictions aren't there to 'screw as much much money from us as possible.' EP receive sponsorship from drink companies, and part of their deal is that the attendees can't bring their booze in so they have to buy the pints. If EP didn't have this sponsorship the calibre of acts would be far lower. It's a necessary evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's very easy to get cans in to the festival area so it's not exactly the big bad nasty corporation 'screwing' us to the extent you'd like it to be. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's very easy to get cans in to the festival area so it's not exactly the big bad nasty corporation 'screwing' us to the extent you'd like it to be. ;)

shhhhhhh they'll hear you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

It is though. They stopped people even bringing the pint glasses they sell inside the venue back in last year just in case you were drinking your own beer. its a joke and why any festival without this restriction is so much more laid back and enjoyable as people are not trying to get hammered drunk in the campsite inbetween bands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have been to the last few EP's and I find that each year the security get stricter and stricter as regards bringing drink in. I suppose I have been spoilt in that I went to Glastonbury this year and there was absolutely no hassle whatsover in bringing cans of beer anywhere within the festival.

I have been to the last few EP's and I find that each year the security get stricter and stricter as regards bringing drink in. I suppose I have been spoilt in that I went to Glastonbury this year and there was absolutely no hassle whatsover in bringing cans of beer anywhere within the festival.

As I have said it creates a really nasty atmosphere with people rushing back to the camp, sinking 3/4 cans at the same rate they would probably drink 1/2 and then sneaking in vodka etc and getting completely plastered.

Any festival i have been at (outside of Ireland) where you can bring your drink in has been really relaxed as the emphasis is not on getting drunk. Sure you get drunk as you are drinking the whole day but casually drinking a can or two while watching a band creates such a more relaxed, friendly, easy-going atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

more acts announced tomorrow according to EP's facebook.

df1985 wrote: »
    more acts announced tomorrow according to EP's facebook.

Nice

Fingers crossed for some more good acts & not just confirmation of ones we already know of through myspace etc.....
    I'm thinking Wild Beasts, The XX, Mike Snow, Delphic, Empire of the Sun & Yeasayer. If I got just 5 out of those I'd be happy.

Fingers crossed for some more good acts & not just confirmation of ones we already know of through myspace etc.....
    I'm thinking Wild Beasts, The XX, Mike Snow, Delphic, Empire of the Sun & Yeasayer. If I got just 5 out of those I'd be happy.

5 out of your 6? :)

5 out of your 6? :)

That's not too much to ask for, is it? :pac:
    Even if one of them was added, I'd settle for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

4 of your 6 just played Rock Werchter there in 2010 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm not going this year.

The line up is good too so I'm doubly annoyed. :mad:

Why must my bank be so mean to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It is though. They stopped people even bringing the pint glasses they sell inside the venue back in last year just in case you were drinking your own beer. its a joke and why any festival without this restriction is so much more laid back and enjoyable as people are not trying to get hammered drunk in the campsite inbetween bands

That never happened with me, are you talking about the eco cup that you pay 3 euros deposit for, **** that, they cannot do that, they cannot expect you to fork out a 3 euro deposit for a eco cup everytime you enter the arena.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

That never happened with me, are you talking about the eco cup that you pay 3 euros deposit for, **** that, they cannot do that, they cannot expect you to fork out a 3 euro deposit for a eco cup everytime you enter the arena.

Yep. Every time. Not allowed bring any alcohol into the arena at all I was told. Even if they just sold it to you themselves 5 minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

lads i was able to walk into the arena with a backpack of 2 litre vodka and lucozade...

bit of banter with security and treat them with respect and your grand...

also they usually have the same heads in the same places, get on the good side of one of em and keep going back so they recognise you...

there was no problem last year with the above method....no nudity was even needed on my part...which is a blessing

Advertisement