Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

had a great weekend, highlights were hot chip,booka shade,mumford and sons,crystal castles, bloody beetroots and of course LCD soundsystem! saw loads others though and none stood out as being poor.

Unfortunately though like many others in the oscar wilde campsite, I was robbed on saturday night.I was coming back around 1am on a beer run from arcadia and found my tent slashed and they rifled through my bag.took all my beer and for some strange reason my drivers license-they left everything else though???
    The tents beside me were also done, ipods,cameras,jewellery and then random things like underwear and socks!!

There's a happy ending though-we got practically everything back!! the idiots that did it were camped about 20 feet away, one of my gang goes for a piss not long after it had happened, and spots his bag on the way back outside their tent. Plays it cool, and asks for a smoke off the guys-sees all our bags and stuff in the tent.Long story short, we all got our stuff back and they were all arrested! drivers license on the ground inside.

What had completely killed our buzz turned out well in the end and we all went mental after it.eventful night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

df1985 wrote: »
    had a great weekend, highlights were hot chip,booka shade,mumford and sons,crystal castles, bloody beetroots and of course LCD soundsystem! saw loads others though and none stood out as being poor.

Unfortunately though like many others in the oscar wilde campsite, I was robbed on saturday night.I was coming back around 1am on a beer run from arcadia and found my tent slashed and they rifled through my bag.took all my beer and for some strange reason my drivers license-they left everything else though???
    The tents beside me were also done, ipods,cameras,jewellery and then random things like underwear and socks!!

There's a happy ending though-we got practically everything back!! the idiots that did it were camped about 20 feet away, one of my gang goes for a piss not long after it had happened, and spots his bag on the way back outside their tent. Plays it cool, and asks for a smoke off the guys-sees all our bags and stuff in the tent.Long story short, we all got our stuff back and they were all arrested! drivers license on the ground inside.

What had completely killed our buzz turned out well in the end and we all went mental after it.eventful night!

So sorry to hear that happened to you! Great there was a happy ending! We stayed well away from Wilde based on what was said about it here last year. Camped in yellow right inside the main entrance on the left. We had no energy to carry bags all the way to Hendrix\Warhol after cycling down on Friday.

I would stay in yellow\Chaplin again no probs as its nice and cool, spacious and its not too far away at all. We took the shortcut through Wilde\The Salty Dog to get to the main arena most of the time!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well done. You did exactly the right thing. Delighted you got your stuff back and they didn't get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Great story and result!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

Just went down for The National last night, the band were great, not the best I've seen from them, would have been a great show if not for the awfull sound engineer!!!! he was terribly bad!!! A common complaint I've now heard from National shows, although the times I've seen them in the past the sound was great!!!

Does anybody know why Matt cracked up laughing when he tried to jump into the crowd for Mr November?

He was laughing because he slipped twice while trying to get back onto the stage:D

I was at the very front, still have the imprint of the barrier on my chest:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

seachto7 wrote: »
    anyone see the waterboys?

yeah saw most of their set and they were brilliant, i haven't heard much of them before EP but I think I'll be acquiring their albums soon:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

First time going too, amazing weekend! Highlight for me was Laurent Garnier last night, queued for about 15 minutes in the lashing rain to get into the Little Big Tent but it was well worth it, amazing set and there was some atmosphere in there. Booka Shade, Tiga and Jack Beats were great too.

The festival was great besides the music too, I missed a few acts because I was just having so much fun elsewhere. Rave in the woods was a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 romeromerome

That's great that you got your stuff back, we were in Wilde too and were camping beside a bunch of guys selling and partaking in some meth. Meth for the love of god! Is that a bit random or am I just being really innocent? Very surprised they didnt rob us blind anyways! They were talking bum all day and night, one D4 hanger on debating Sir William Wallace at 7am ugggghhh whats worse than the average meth fiend? a snobby over educated meth fiend thats what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

It was my first year at EP. I only went to see Mumford and the Waterboys....................but feck me, my eyes were opened by everyone else!

I had to be dragged away from the place this morning! It was fantastic.. I want to live in Body and Soul!!...

..and dont get me started about the karaeoke shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

All in all a brilliant weekend!! Best EP so far for me music wise.

Highs:

The weather on Friday.
    Gil Scott Heron, UNKLE, Fever Ray, LCD Soundsystem.
    Bumping into so many people I hadn't seen in ages.
    Shisha pipes and Chai at 4am in Body & Soul.
    Pie Minister.
    The Mad Hatters tea party in Mindfield.
    Drinking 'Love Tea'.
    The toilets for the most part.
    Quiet showers early on Sunday - really set me up for the day.
    All the interesting music loving people you bump into along the way.

Lows:

Modest Mouse - saw them a few months back in the Academy and loved them but don't think the Main stage was right for them.
    No Diep Noodle, Mao or Clonakilty black pudding for food (or at least I didn't find them!)
    The campsite. Was in Andy Warhol and had people robbing our stuff (nothing as serious as a previous posters story) like chairs and other bits of camping gear. For the first time ever at EP I felt worried leaving the tent every day (while at the same time not wanting to be around the campsite much because the vibe there wasn't very good). Then there was the fella blowing a vuvuzela. And seeing the rubbish and abandoned tents gets to me every year. I hate that everyone just chucks their rubbish on the ground, in some cases when there's a bin bag next to them. I think the incentive that they had to provide free drinks for those who brought their rubbish was a great idea but I doubt many did it. I gathered up all our rubbish this morning and we had 5/6 bags of it. Pity I didn't do it daily and waited til this morning. There's always next year.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

You're quite right, that this was indeed a great turn up but your friend didn't stumble across the bag on the way back from taking a piss and definitely didn't play it cool afterward. I hope he enjoys telling his I saved the day story but if he hadn't startled them lads your other friend would have their Ipod and the Gardai would have the two lads that had taken all our gear.

It's gas that my friend stumbled across this on boards but it's funnier that someone with a few cans in their system can so blatantly twist around a story.

Good picnic though

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Brilliant,just a brilliant weekend.

Oxegen veteran and EP virgin but its gonna be EP all the way from now on...................Pity bout the rain Sun night/Mon morning tho

Met lots of cool,relaxed,chilled out people too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

benwavner wrote: »
    It was my first year at EP. I only went to see Mumford and the Waterboys....................but feck me, my eyes were opened by everyone else!

I had to be dragged away from the place this morning! It was fantastic.. I want to live in Body and Soul!!...

..and dont get me started about the karaeoke shower!

Is that exactly what it sounds like ?

Id a great weekend in the Hendrix campsite, bit of a messy noisey crowd in a gazebo near us they got searched by the DS on saturday and i think a few were kicked out, brilliant weekend, I thought Fight like apes were great and Seasick steves story about Chiggas will make my skin crawl for ever:p, and massive attack last night was out of this world and I wouldnt have been a fan before, I think the weather somehow added to it, pity there was such a small crowd at them but it was pouring rain at that stage.

Prunty wrote: »
    You're quite right, that this was indeed a great turn up but your friend didn't stumble across the bag on the way back from taking a piss and definitely didn't play it cool afterward. I hope he enjoys telling his I saved the day story but if he hadn't startled them lads your other friend would have their Ipod and the Gardai would have the two lads that had taken all our gear.

It's gas that my friend stumbled across this on boards but it's funnier that someone with a few cans in their system can so blatantly twist around a story.

Good picnic though

are we talking about the same group of lads robbing? i was there for all of it, he came straight back after seeing the bag and he definately played it cool considering other people wanted to batter them.it was close to kicking off but never did.the guards got all 3 lads in the end and more bags of stuff this morning.

are we talking about the same group of lads robbing? i was there for all of it, he came straight back after seeing the bag and he definately played it cool considering other people wanted to batter them.it was close to kicking off but never did.the guards got all 3 lads in the end and more bags of stuff this morning.

Other people did want to drag them out until they were told to wait for the security or guards who were on their way while your mate was asking them for a smoke, the reason we were all around that tent and curious about the lads inside was due to the fact I had chased someone through woods for twenty minutes before he was taken away by the guards. I found his discarded phone and having been directed to that tent earlier in the night by four other campers, who genuinely saved the day as they had nothing robbed on them but helped me immensely, we put the sim in your mates meteor phone and tried ringing the number belonging to a person we suspected of being in the tent. Your mate then saw the bag.

It was a great result and an eventful night but the Guards were on their way when he decided to ask for a smoke and they would have nabbed them there and then. Did your mate who got his stereo, watch and aftershave back get his Ipod? :D That would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

THE GOOD:
    Fever Ray - absolutely incredible. And big thank you to the nice guy with the hat standing behind me who got an obnoxiously loud man singing to shut up.; I barely heard her for the first three songs because all I could hear was him. :mad:
    But other than that, Fever Ray was definitely my highlight.

Janelle Monaé - That girl can dance. And sing. Excellent set.

Friendly Fires - Their singer dances even better than Janelle Monaé :p

Cathy Davey, Duke Special, Modest Mouse, The Horrors - all good sets.

Campsite - We were in Warhol and witnessed little to no trouble. Heard a few people in Wilde got robbed though. :(

General atmosphere around the place - apart from the obnoxious drunk twats, there was a pretty good atmosphere all over.

THE BAD:
    My own stupidity; I stupidly drank too much Saturday and ended up needing to sleep it off for a bit. :o As a result, I missed Crystal Castles, who I heard were epic. I also very stupidly missed These New Puritans because I thought they were on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Laura Marling - had to cut her set short because no-one could hear her. Well done to the scheduling genius who decided to stick her in Crawdaddy where thumping bass from a nearby gig completely drowned her out.

The crowd at Modest Mouse - I hope you shirtless drunk moshers who decided to keep ramming into me and my friends got hypothermia, alcohol poisoning and broken bones. :mad::mad:

Some poor girl fainted at Fever Ray. :( The heat and smoke effects probably got to her. Hope she was ok after.

The rain Sunday night. I was gonna see Masive Attack Sunday night but decided it wasn't worth it (had already seen them live before, so wasn't that pushed). Eventually, our tent leaked and we abandoned it. Took off to Dublin at 5am, paying an extra €15 t get another bus back.

Overall: The good far outweighed the bad. Would definitely go back again. :)

Other people did want to drag them out until they were told to wait for the security or guards who were on their way while your mate was asking them for a smoke, the reason we were all around that tent and curious about the lads inside was due to the fact I had chased someone through woods for twenty minutes before he was taken away by the guards. I found his discarded phone and having been directed to that tent earlier in the night by four other campers, who genuinely saved the day as they had nothing robbed on them but helped me immensely, we put the sim in your mates meteor phone and tried ringing the number belonging to a person we suspected of being in the tent. Your mate then saw the bag.

It was a great result and an eventful night but the Guards were on their way when he decided to ask for a smoke and they would have nabbed them there and then. Did your mate who got his stereo, watch and aftershave back get his Ipod? :D That would be awesome.

ah right, sorry, didnt realise all this had gone on! he just walked back and said he found the bag at the tent. ipod is in portlaoise garda station apparently.

ah right, sorry, didnt realise all this had gone on! he just walked back and said he found the bag at the tent. ipod is in portlaoise garda station apparently.

Thats cool, glad to hear they were arrested too cause I wasn't sure, I saw your mates i.d.ing lads later that night just by chance but didn't hang around to see if they were arrested. Just out of curiosity, did any smokes or tobacco go missing from any of your mates tents? Egyptian marlboro lights, some golden virginnia tobacco from Spain or a full pack of John player? This story gets ever better, I hope the lads get rode by the courts

Im not 100% sure but i vaguely remember one of the girls saying her tobacco was gone, as to the type I have no idea. It gets madder alright, we heard off security that the lads that did it took videos of themselves on their phones robbing the tents! and that is now evidence against them. Im skeptical but if they did they are idiots! cant get over they were camped so close to us either-so brazen and cheeky!

It was lucky for us they were idiots alright, your mate spotted the bag and then either him or someone else recognized they were playing really specific mixes of songs that were probably only on your mate Dave's ipod - my mate who spotted this thread lives with your mate Niamh, another ridiculous coincidence - so they did themselves no favors.

They had robbed my zoom recorder -worth about 300 quid, a fact they were obviously unaware of when they made off with Dave's ipod - and it had interviews from that day with ASIWYFA, Jerry Fish and a poet called Stephen Murphy (i think) cause I work for a show on 98fm called Totally Irish. It was an amazing relief getting the stuff back.

Great story, cheers for the extra info, see you next year in any other campsite. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

My first EP, having been at a few Oxegens, a Rock Werchter and a Pukkelpop and I must say I think EP tops them all!

Booka Shade, Tiga, Cathy Davey, Hot Chip were class! I'm a little ashamed that I actually didn't make it to so many things I wanted to (missed Janelle Monae, Seasick Steve, Imelda May and some others) but we were having so much craic in the campsite and doing all kinds of things it didn't matter.

Raggae music place and Neutronyx (rave in the woods) were so cool. I would've stayed in that woods forever on Saturday night, some laugh.

Rain last night was some balls, couldn't get over how bad it was! Went to see Massive Attack but the tiny crowd had zero atmosphere because of the weather. We went over to watch Laurent Garnier but couldn't even get into the tent because everyone was trying to get in out of the rain :(

The night was saved when we found the circus tent was having a disco so we stayed in there busting grooves for the night, brilliant!

Overall a deadly weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Good God, that was the best weekend ever.

High:
    Arriving in the blistering sun on Friday with little or no traffic
    Everyone miraculously arriving together and getting our free passes
    Camp in the quiet/charlie chaplin was near perfect
    Foals (after the sound improved and the got their act together)
    Dancing the night away in the body and soul to Donal Dineen
    Johnny Flynn.... :rolleyes:
    That amazing glass stage in body and soul, I dont think if've ever seen something as beautiful
    The cheese and chorizo toasties in the Body and Soul served at about 1am on Friday.. yum.
    No Drama's performance in the THeatre Tent on Sunday
    Having my first festival shower
    And so I watched them from a far - Were the most amazing performers!
    Great to see Redneck Manifesto again
    Racing from Mumford and Sons, UNKLE and the National..... amaZING
    Love Channel One too
    Flight Like Apes were amazing as usual
    Ended up in the performers tent during the down pour all dry and enjoying the late bar
    Missing the downpour while taking down the tent this morning

Oh yeah.. and the guy that was walking through the crowd at The National COMPLETELY naked.. then we saw him on someones shoulders a few minutes later....eeeeeeewwwwww

Lows:
    rain..meh...
    missing two door cinema club, Field Music, Booka Shade and Kormac's Big Band.....
    roll on next year

heading to the Berlin Music Festival on Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

It was lucky for us they were idiots alright, your mate spotted the bag and then either him or someone else recognized they were playing really specific mixes of songs that were probably only on your mate Dave's ipod - my mate who spotted this thread lives with your mate Niamh, another ridiculous coincidence - so they did themselves no favors.

They had robbed my zoom recorder -worth about 300 quid, a fact they were obviously unaware of when they made off with Dave's ipod - and it had interviews from that day with ASIWYFA, Jerry Fish and a poet called Stephen Murphy (i think) cause I work for a show on 98fm called Totally Irish. It was an amazing relief getting the stuff back.

Great story, cheers for the extra info, see you next year in any other campsite. :D

what is the actual sequence of events here, i read yours and df1985's posts but its tricky to follow.

the same group of lads robbed both of you and you both discovered who it was at the same time?

The story is very long but we all happened to be at our tents later that night got talking and investigated the suspect tent another group had pointed out to us. Really bizarre series of events but a fine story and a happy ending

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Anyone know what song was being played just as the national came on stage?
    I think it was NEU! but not sure. Im actually playing the song 'isi' I think it was right now, but not sure if I'm remembering correctly.:o:o:o great festival again

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭srmufc

Only managed a cameo myself. Arrived on Saturday - bought a wristband for 120 off a tout who said he bought them directly from the organisers! (sold it for 40 leaving on Sun)

Tiga:cool: & Caribou in the Body and Soul were the highlights for me..

Foals were the definite highlight from me. What a set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

srmufc wrote: »
    Only managed a cameo myself. Arrived on Saturday - bought a wristband for 120 off a tout who said he bought them directly from the organisers! (sold it for 40 leaving on Sun)

Wouldn't be sure but I'd say that's a lie - you could possibly have bought a fake wristband unawares.

Not sure how common fake wristbands are in Ireland but I remember festivals in England getting very scared about them in 2009 and trying to come up with a strategy to combat them flooding the market in 2010.

Would the organisers sell wristbands directly to touts?

I wouldn't think so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I was volunteering and the best night was probably the Thursday in the white volunteers tent. Great atmosphere there. The next few days were good although I couldn't go too crazy since I had shifts. I was really looking forward to partying after my 4-10pm shift but then it started lashing. Biggest buzzkill ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭srmufc

Wouldn't be sure but I'd say that's a lie - you could possibly have bought a fake wristband unawares.

Not sure how common fake wristbands are in Ireland but I remember festivals in England getting very scared about them in 2009 and trying to come up with a strategy to combat them flooding the market in 2010.

Would the organisers sell wristbands directly to touts?

I wouldn't think so myself.
    When you hear they only sold 30/50k tickets i think it's a possibility.
    There was a network of touts roaming the carparks on Saturday afternoon and the wristbands were spot on.

Advertisement