Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

srmufc wrote: »
    When you hear they only sold 30/50k tickets i think it's a possibility.
    There was a network of touts roaming the carparks on Saturday afternoon and the wristbands were spot on.

It could have happened I suppose.

But I didn't think the EP's capacity upped to 50k this year though. It was somewhere between 32,500-35,000 last year wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Just got the best news on Facebook... Someone added me and told me that they have my bag! They found it yesterday in the Jimmy Hendrix field with absolutely nothing gone outta it... 70 euro... iPhone... EVERYTHING!! So glad!! And also surprised that stuff is still in it seein as it went missing on Friday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

Big Shout out to the Oxjam Tent. Fantastic Guys,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

cordragza wrote: »
    Big Shout out to the Oxjam Tent. Fantastic Guys,
    +1

Lovely little tent. Randomly caught a few minutes of the Barley Mob in there. Good tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Great weekend.. Third yr running now...

Best of the weekend..
    Crystal Castles.. Blody Beetroots.. LCD.. The Pulpit.. Japanese Popstars.. The foals.. Modest mouse and Joe Rooney!
    Flaming cactus burritos!!!

Was in Hendrix and didnt have any trouble.. Funniest moment was sat morning while i was lying in my tent.. Few cork lads a couple of tents over were discussing how muck cocaine they had left.. when one of them at the top of his voice shouts.. "Forecast for today lads.. SNOWY!!"

Couple of pics if its cool!!
    58305_440669642712_735362712_5103320_3508814_n.jpg
    46786_440669692712_735362712_5103322_5461837_n.jpg
    48035_440671502712_735362712_5103367_2067613_n.jpg
    47097_440668397712_735362712_5103302_1975017_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does anyone know the name of the dj that was playing in Body and Soul on Sunday night from about 1am-3am ? It wasnt on the main stage - but hes really good. Did a stage dive at the end. I think he might play in hogans ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The crowd at Modest Mouse - I hope you shirtless drunk moshers who decided to keep ramming into me and my friends got hypothermia, alcohol poisoning and broken bones. :mad::mad:

I must have been standing near you. Pretty sure I hit a topless guy telling him to cop on and stop being a dick.

Not sure how common fake wristbands are in Ireland but I remember festivals in England getting very scared about them in 2009 and trying to come up with a strategy to combat them flooding the market in 2010.

A good few people I know had fake wristbands. Most got got caught, some bought tickets and others just stayed in the campsite :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

df1985 wrote: »
    Unfortunately though like many others in the oscar wilde campsite, I was robbed on saturday night.I was coming back around 1am on a beer run from arcadia and found my tent slashed and they rifled through my bag.took all my beer and for some strange reason my drivers license-they left everything else though???
    The tents beside me were also done, ipods,cameras,jewellery and then random things like underwear and socks!!
    I don't know if you read the posts a few days back warning about camping in Oscar Wilde, but i never dream of pitching tent there, theft is highly prevalent in that campsite. I wouldn't be leaving anything of value in my tent, i don't know why anyone would bring an i-pod to a music festival.....seems a bit odd. Surely there's enough music and banter at the festival itself to keep them happy.

I'm glad you got your stuff back though and the perpetrator were caught. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Whoever took this, you are a hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUphHCkpU-c

Also, where did the thieving in Wilde take place? We were just off the main path right before the passageway into the main area; many of us were first-timers and couldn't stop saying how chilled out/trustworthy everybody was. Shame, that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Had a great time at EP, delighted I went for Tangerine Fields, such a difference to normal camping. It was actually nice and quiet by the time we wanted some shut-eye (5am).
    My highlights were 808 State, Crystal Castles, Mumford & Sons, Rave in the Woods. I was a bit disappointed with Leftfield and Laurent Garnier, just didn't do it for me I'm afraid.
    The rain was something else on Sunday night, the tent stood firm and we stayed nice and dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

after a summer of download, oxegen, latitude, glasto, big chill, leeds and ep, i can honestly say its a toss up between oxegen and ep for worst run and undesirable crowd. I expected it from oxegen but ep is slipping down a slope , last year it started losing its boutique edge, turning into a mini oxegen now :-(, castlepalooza might be the alternative next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Tusky wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the dj that was playing in Body and Soul on Sunday night from about 1am-3am ? It wasnt on the main stage - but hes really good. Did a stage dive at the end. I think he might play in hogans ?
    Not sure who he was but agree on his epicness

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynner83

Had a great time at EP!! my first festival so wasn't really sure what to expect but have learned from all my mistakes tis year and really cant wait till next year..

highlights... robyn, stornoway, two door cinema club...

low points... ticketmaster charging twice, tent getting stolen (Oscar Wilde Campsite) but had all of my valubles with me, found the sleeping bag, pillows, wellies discarded next morning only thing that was taking was the pillowcase, drink, food had to go stay in a hotel but sure it was worth it to have a shower and bed for the nite...

think i mite invest in a campervan next year tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

EP was fun this year, think I preferred last year overall though I loved Friday's weather, hated Sunday's downpour.
    Highlights = LCD Soundsystem, Foals, the Horrors, the National, Marc Almond, Jon Ronson's talk and bumping into everyone about the place.
    Lowlights= Bumping into people I don't want to be meeting, not being able to see the video made especially for Crystal Swing by Rubber Bandits (I told everyone it was gonna be extremely funny then the screen/projector was awful in the end), Sunday rain and not going back drinking cans while watching the Mighty Stef on the Salty Dog.

Some pics on my Flickr

4964961418_eb9011e217.jpg
    4965659478_5728502674.jpg
    4967373064_d9bbe4ca9e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dathuil1906

grenache wrote: »
    I don't know if you read the posts a few days back warning about camping in Oscar Wilde, but i never dream of pitching tent there, theft is highly prevalent in that campsite. I wouldn't be leaving anything of value in my tent, i don't know why anyone would bring an i-pod to a music festival.....seems a bit odd. Surely there's enough music and banter at the festival itself to keep them happy.

I'm glad you got your stuff back though and the perpetrator were caught. :)

I've camped in Hendrix the last three years as I thought it was safer than other campsites. It did feel quite safe there, until, Saturday night....

Went to sleep at 4.40. As we slept, we were robbed. Somebody came into our tent (its 6ft high, you can stand up in it). Stole my phone and money (which was left beside my head as I slept). Money was inside the inside zipper of my handbag so not easy to find. Also stole my boyfriends money from his pants pocket. €300 - €400 between the two of us. Tents around us were done to....

The worst thing is, when I woke up next morning at bout 9.30 I wasn't sure if my phone was just missing or if it had been stolen, so I rang my number, no answer, but then HE RANG ME BACK.... Saying "Morning darling, what else are you missing ha ha ha....."

Good news is, we have a lead in tracking him down, long story.

I have to be honest guys, somebody coming into your tent as you sleep is very dangerous. I don't know if I'll be returning to EP, camping at least. Don't think it's safe. Imagine if my BF had gone to rave in the woods (as he was thinking of doin) and if I was sleeping there alone? Doesn't bare thinking about really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

df1985 wrote: »
    had a great weekend, highlights were hot chip,booka shade,mumford and sons,crystal castles, bloody beetroots and of course LCD soundsystem! saw loads others though and none stood out as being poor.

Unfortunately though like many others in the oscar wilde campsite, I was robbed on saturday night.I was coming back around 1am on a beer run from arcadia and found my tent slashed and they rifled through my bag.took all my beer and for some strange reason my drivers license-they left everything else though???
    The tents beside me were also done, ipods,cameras,jewellery and then random things like underwear and socks!!

There's a happy ending though-we got practically everything back!! the idiots that did it were camped about 20 feet away, one of my gang goes for a piss not long after it had happened, and spots his bag on the way back outside their tent. Plays it cool, and asks for a smoke off the guys-sees all our bags and stuff in the tent.Long story short, we all got our stuff back and they were all arrested! drivers license on the ground inside.

What had completely killed our buzz turned out well in the end and we all went mental after it.eventful night!

Great that you got everything back and the thieves got nabbed. We had our camping area in Andy Warhol ransacked on Sunday night. The people who did it seem to have gone on a rampage of destruction as there was just a line of slashed tents and destroyed gazebos all along the campsite. We got back to a flooded tent and it was only when we went to sleep in the car that I realised someone had been trhough all my stuff and took my car keys, an old ipod & speakers and random stuff like my wellies! Did you guys have car keys nicked? I wonder could it have been the same gang from your campsite? The security guards were absolutely useless and actually laughed in our faces when we told them what had happened!

Luckily my car was where I had left it, and didn't have to be towed out of the muck after going all the way back Dublin to get my spare key and then back to Stradbally again. Another friend had his keys nicked from Hendrix with no spare and had to wait around all day for a mechanic to come and disarm the wheel lock and hot wire it! Hard lesson learned, I had everything of value on me bar my car keys but you just can't leave anything to chance as there are always a few knackers around just wanting to cause trouble for others. I just hope karma comes back to bite them in the ass!

Other than the little dampener at the end, it was another amazing EP and looking forward to next year already. The organisation of the whole thing has got better and better every year but here's hoping they up the ante with security now as the last thing we want is EP becoming like Oxegen! (Booka Shade & Modest mouse were amazing on Friday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

I had the feeling of the campsite being unsafe too and it's horrible. As I mentioned before some drink and camping gear was robbed from us. When I was in the campsite I didn't want to be there, when I was in the arena I was worrying about my tent and it definitely put a damper on things for me. I would have left had someone come into my tent like that. I feel really bad for you about it and I hope the guards manage to track the thieves down.

I think the vibe of the EP camping has changed which is such a pity as there was always a sense of unity about the place before. It's horrible that people go there with the sole intention of wrecking other people's weekends.

In saying that, plenty of my other mates were camped near really sound groups and they all got on like a house on fire which is the same as me last year and the year before. I think next year I'm going to go to quiet camping or hopefully I'll have purchased a campervan before then and I'll be in the campervan site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I've camped in Hendrix the last three years as I thought it was safer than other campsites. It did feel quite safe there, until, Saturday night....

Went to sleep at 4.40. As we slept, we were robbed. Somebody came into our tent (its 6ft high, you can stand up in it). Stole my phone and money (which was left beside my head as I slept). Money was inside the inside zipper of my handbag so not easy to find. Also stole my boyfriends money from his pants pocket. €300 - €400 between the two of us. Tents around us were done to....

The worst thing is, when I woke up next morning at bout 9.30 I wasn't sure if my phone was just missing or if it had been stolen, so I rang my number, no answer, but then HE RANG ME BACK.... Saying "Morning darling, what else are you missing ha ha ha....."

Good news is, we have a lead in tracking him down, long story.

I have to be honest guys, somebody coming into your tent as you sleep is very dangerous. I don't know if I'll be returning to EP, camping at least. Don't think it's safe. Imagine if my BF had gone to rave in the woods (as he was thinking of doin) and if I was sleeping there alone? Doesn't bare thinking about really....

Same thing happened to my friend and her boyfriend. We were camped in Warhol. Her handbag was beside her head, and they robbed it while she slept. His wallet was in his jeans pocket, which were dragged out the tent and found outside minus the wallet in the morning. None of the other tents around them got robbed. She got her handbag back at the lost property/garda tent minus her phone and wallet. But she was happy to get her glasses and keys and stuff back.

I think the robbing goes on in every camp site unfortunately. I slept with my handbag around my neck and stuffed into my sleeping bag for the rest of the weekend. It's really scary that people would do that while you're in the tent. I think leaving anything valuable in your tent while you're not there is a bit silly, but if you are there and it still gets taken it's terrifying!

Apart from that bad buzz, I had a great weekend. It was my third year in a row, and I'd say this was the best yet. Highlights were Fever Ray, LCD Soundsystem, Japanese Popstars, Two Door Cinema Club, Redneck Manifesto and Kormac's Big Band. Was disappointed by Laura Marling, but I blame the crowd for that one. There wasnt much she could do when everyone was rowdy and not really paying any attention to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Stayed in quiet campsite and met some lovely people and had no hassle at all.

Scumbag quota was higher than I thought it would be. Even though I'd a great time this year, reading people's negative experiences here and on the EP forum makes me wonder if I'll go back next year.

Would go back and be very happy in the quiet campsite but wonder if everyone else will be doing that which means that it'll be just as bad!

Great music, things weren't as far apart as I thought they'd be. Really enjoyable to just have a weekend with no responsibilities apart from hanging out with friends and listening to nice music and enjoying a few drinks and some food.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

lynner83 wrote: »

think i mite invest in a campervan next year tho...

Boutique camping is the way to go and cheaper than a campervan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭srmufc

The undesirable crowd quota has noticeably grown over the last two years..

Staying in the back of a van in the carpark is a decent option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So who was in the comedy tent when the comedian discovered me asleep in "my tent" and awarded me a packet of baby wipes for the achievement? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Boutique camping is the way to go and cheaper than a campervan

How much was Boutique camping this year?

It's difficult to know what to do to make it safer for yourself. I really enjoy the banter of camping with friends, meeting people in nearby tents (if they're decent), having a sing song before we go do bed and waking up and having breakfast together, so I don't know if sleeping in a van in carpark would do it for me.....

2 thoughts I have had for security:
    - Tent alarm????? some on Ebay
    - Battery operated motion sensor light???????? also on ebay
    - Lock your tent? Don't know if this would draw more attention than it'd be worth.....
    Some of above may have helped when we were robbed as we slept.

As for tents getting slashed, probably no security measure will stop that....

I'm in two minds about next year, would love to say I'll go back but just not sure I'd enjoy it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

This was my fifth year going to EP and it was definately the worst for the amount of scumbags that were there. Thankfully we had nothing robbed from our tents. We stayed in Tangerine Fields and had no problems (dont know if that was the same for everybody).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭vumpireofkid

grenache wrote: »
    Well done to that maggot in the blue wifebeater vest tonight at the Frames gig. I bet you're very proud of yourself. About 30 yards back from the stage. He tried his best to annoy everyone he jumped into, or head wrestled. He pulled the bra strap of my friend and that was the last straw as myself and her boyfriend threw a few punches his way. He got a few digs from other people behind us too. He wasn't long fcuking off. I was delighted to see people coming together to sort him out. ?240 to put up with that crap, no thank you.

I actually saw this dude at Crystal Castles (I think) and he was going crazy, I tried to gently nudge him away from me as I don't appreciate people using my shoulder as something to lean on while jumping and he started screaming at me and called me a b*tch! I was pretty scared for a few seconds that he was actually gonna hit me but then he pushed past me and went to bother other people. Apart from him I didn't really encounter any unsavory types...

In relation to the level of scumbags, I read on this thread that there were wrist bands being sold by touts at gates for €120.

Do you think this makes the event more accessable to scumbags?
    I don't know why else it would have just turned scumbag-ish this year???

What are your thoughts.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

It's difficult to know what to do to make it safer for yourself. I really enjoy the banter of camping with friends, meeting people in nearby tents (if they're decent), having a sing song before we go do bed and waking up and having breakfast together, so I don't know if sleeping in a van in carpark would do it for me.....

2 thoughts I have had for security:
    - Tent alarm????? some on Ebay
    - Battery operated motion sensor light???????? also on ebay
    - Lock your tent? Don't know if this would draw more attention than it'd be worth.....
    Some of above may have helped when we were robbed as we slept.

As for tents getting slashed, probably no security measure will stop that....

I'm in two minds about next year, would love to say I'll go back but just not sure I'd enjoy it again...

Tent alarm sounds good but the fact you may have to do it is ridiculous. Festival is lost imo. I simply dont think you can roll back time once these things go over a certain popularity level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Pity to hear about all the scummy thievery going on. Luckily I've never experienced it but last year's reports influenced my decision to camp in Tangerine Fields. I had 2 good cameras with me so preffered the extra security of being away from the normal sites. That and I hate carrying tents on top of all else so I'd definitely do it all again.

Plus we accidentally ended up backstage while getting there, the signposts were all wrong and sent you on a wild goose chase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭vumpireofkid

In relation to the level of scumbags, I read on this thread that there were wrist bands being sold by touts at gates for €120.

Do you think this makes the event more accessable to scumbags?
    I don't know why else it would have just turned scumbag-ish this year???

What are your thoughts.....

I encountered loads of people who somehow broke in and some were trying to make fake wristbands to try and get in, but last I heard they couldn't get next or near the Main Arena...

Advertisement