Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

In relation to the level of scumbags, I read on this thread that there were wrist bands being sold by touts at gates for €120.

Do you think this makes the event more accessable to scumbags?
    I don't know why else it would have just turned scumbag-ish this year???

What are your thoughts.....

Absolutely.

Also if they know that there is no hassle once you're in there and you're able to rob people/ threaten people/make a nuisance of yourself without any problems.

I think the rave in the wood attracts them as well as they know once they're past the security perimeter they can go there, rob cans from tents and be sorted for the whole night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dathuil1906

Also, were the security efforts of the security team misguided slightly? Think of the hastle you got if you wanted to bring a few cans into the music area. Yet we were robbed blind in the campsite by scumbags.

There's no such drink searches at Glastonbury as far as I know. You can freely cans/drinks to gigs with you. Paid €240 for a ticket, was robbed blind as I slept, had no money and couldn't even bring a few cans in the gates to the music area.

Sorry to lower the tone here, I know many people had a great time at EP, but it wasn't so great for me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Great EP this year (my third):

HIGHS:
    Friday- beautiful weather & got down no bother, straight in to Car Park with no queueing whatsoever
    Body & Soul- just gets better & better every year
    Foals (nearly blew the tent roof off!)
    Donal Dineen + Friends (a surprise, great stuff & Liam ó Maonlaí to-boot!)
    Villager (B&S) + Villagers (Crawdaddy)- AMAZING, Conor is a feckin' Star!
    The Redneck Manifesto- rocked!
    LCD Soundsystem
    Steve Mason (but WHY the Cosby stage- nobody there!):confused:
    Caribou (though clashed with Leftfield :()
    Bonobo
    Noveaunoise
    Had to leave Sun afternoon which I thought was a LOW, but then looks like I missed out on bucket-loads of rain :P

LOWS:
    Roxy Music- I mean c'mon how cheesy are they?
    Modest Mouse- awful sound, couldn't hear the vocals at all. Also v.drunk girl on someone's shoulders with Vevuzula-stfu! :mad:
    Eels - sorry, but just boring song choice
    The Frames- again bad sound, thought they were v.quiet. Though the crowd didn't have the usual Frames hysteria & Glen didn't tell too many stories: so good & bad!
    Having to leave Sun afternoon so missed Unkle & Massive Attack :(

I do resent being searched all the time for drink when people were being robbed blind.

I think that the security team went for "easy targets" civilised people who wouldn't give them any hassle and stayed away from the scumbag element.

I have to say, my sympathies to people who were robbed, particularly as they were asleep. Must be the most horrible feeling.

And the car park exit was a joke. I'm not being funny but a few loads of stones at the gaps between fields would've made life a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

after a summer of download, oxegen, latitude, glasto, big chill, leeds and ep, i

wow, what's your job?! class summer, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Originally Posted by Tusky viewpost.gif
    Does anyone know the name of the dj that was playing in Body and Soul on Sunday night from about 1am-3am ? It wasnt on the main stage - but hes really good. Did a stage dive at the end. I think he might play in hogans ?

Not sure who he was but agree on his epicness

Was it Will Softly - we stepped in out of the rain and the tunes were awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Was excellent was working out there friday at 7pm so got in for free thought local Boy James o connor was superb in the Cosy tent friday afternoon...

Came back into Portlaoise Saturday for a while to get a shower etc.So handy to live so near

Fri night 3 lads broke into our Tent,They were from dublin as the accent was plain as day I dont think they knew what they got themselves into tho as we woke up there were 4 of us 2 of my mates are garda and we had another 6 mates in a tent beside us.

We hit them a few thumps and pinned them down till we got a few more undercover guards to help us.

1 lad got away but two were taken into the station i heard 1 of them had €1700 in cash on him and 9 mobile phones I hope they get rightly done..

Other than that it was a great picnic I think the rain sunday evening added to the madness.Body and soul was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Why is the news only reporting 8 arrests for the festival when there seems to be enough accounts here of people being taken by guards to easily account for twice that?

Just out of interest, how much was a tangerine fields ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

That's really terrible to hear about the thieving, particularly while you're asleep in there at the time! :( Does this happen to the same extent at all festivals?

On a different note, here's 2FM's youtube channel; it has a few dozen interviews with artists from the weekend.

And thanks to M450 for the Java timetable app, it was excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

laois gael wrote: »
    1 lad got away but two were taken into the station i heard 1 of them had €1700 in cash on him and 9 mobile phones I hope they get rightly done..

Sh**. What a scummy thing to do.

Sorry to those who had stuff stolen and tents slashed, etc. We all like to feel there's an element of trust when camping at these events. Has this sort of behavior on a seemingly large scale been precedented at EP? It does appear to be a case of a few bad apples rather than everyone nicking stuff from tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The security really was a joke! I had a great time, none of our stuff was stolen and everyone I met was sound but reading about how so many people's stuff was stolen makes me really angry. We were camped in Hendrix, on the edge near a walkway which I was fairly worried about at the start. Being at Oxegen has taught me to never camp by a walkway unless you want to come back to a flattened tent. Once the first day went by with no mishap I relaxed about it but reading this makes me realise how lucky we were.

It was ridiculous that we had to queue for ages to get into the arena because the security were seaching people for drink while they should have been out stopping some of the tent break-ins. They sucked at checking for drink anyway, I had drink in my bag every single time I went past them but because my bag looks like it's too small to hold drink they never bothered to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

laois gael wrote: »
    Was excellent was working out there friday at 7pm so got in for free thought local Boy James o connor was superb in the Cosy tent friday afternoon...

Came back into Portlaoise Saturday for a while to get a shower etc.So handy to live so near

Fri night 3 lads broke into our Tent,They were from dublin as the accent was plain as day I dont think they knew what they got themselves into tho as we woke up there were 4 of us 2 of my mates are garda and we had another 6 mates in a tent beside us.

We hit them a few thumps and pinned them down till we got a few more undercover guards to help us.

Other than that it was a great picnic I think the rain sunday evening added to the madness.Body and soul was amazing.

The amount of scumbag theft stories I've heard its safe to say there's a definite relationship between being a scumbag and being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Just saw a tweet from EP looking for good and bad feedback at info@electricpicnic.ie. It's so they can change things for next year apparently. I'm gonna send one asking for more security in the campsites. You guys are right that security have their priorities totally mixed up. People getting robbed blind in the campsites, but they're concentrating on stopping people bringing a few cans into the arena!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

moonflower wrote: »
    The security really was a joke! I had a great time, none of our stuff was stolen and everyone I met was sound but reading about how so many people's stuff was stolen makes me really angry. We were camped in Hendrix, on the edge near a walkway which I was fairly worried about at the start. Being at Oxegen has taught me to never camp by a walkway unless you want to come back to a flattened tent.

I find the best areas to camp are a tent or two away from the pathways near a floodlight if at all possible. Would dissuade people from nicking stuff if it's in a somewhat lighted area, and you're not right beside the pathway so you get some peace and quiet.

I keep my phone and wallet on me at all times so my only valuables left in the tent would be my iPod and (when abroad) passport. The passport would be a bitch to get stolen but I don't hear much issues of thievery with festivals on the continent, and it seems relatively safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Reney wrote: »
    Great that you got everything back and the thieves got nabbed. We had our camping area in Andy Warhol ransacked on Sunday night. The people who did it seem to have gone on a rampage of destruction as there was just a line of slashed tents and destroyed gazebos all along the campsite. We got back to a flooded tent and it was only when we went to sleep in the car that I realised someone had been trhough all my stuff and took my car keys, an old ipod & speakers and random stuff like my wellies! Did you guys have car keys nicked? I wonder could it have been the same gang from your campsite? The security guards were absolutely useless and actually laughed in our faces when we told them what had happened!

The mad thing is they left my car keys but took my drivers license which were together(stupid i know), was only booze after that they took from me.they didnt bother with my cigarettes but took them from others. they had to slash my tent because my zip had broke earlier-i had gone into the main arena knowing i would have to rip it when i got back.....they did that for me:mad:

thats bad about the security-they were great with us and one guy in particular was extremely helpful and came back to the group in the morning with an update.

It did seem like a random "smash and grab" type thing. grab what they could and go.they didnt bother with the locked tents, may not have had the time.But they took things like socks and underwear for whatever reason.

I cant complain in the sense that I got everything back, I genuinely feel bad for everyone else, I know how much of a downer it is-I was ready to pack up and leave when i found my tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I meant to add security told us they had 4 people to look after the oscar wilde campsite.4 bloody people.........there was about 8 at each entrance looking for drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Security were useless.

I was in the artist campsite and I don't know how many times I had to give drunk lads directions back to the Jimi Hendrix campsite because they were lost.

Also caught a fella wandering around tents at random and looking inside them. We made it obvious that we could see him and he eventually disappeared.

There was a field full of horses across they way which was fenced off. Every night the were people off their tits in there trying to pet/ride/score the horses.

I feel so sorry for all those people who had their stuff robbed, it must put such a dampener on the whole weekend.

Oh yeah, some guy tried to take a piss on me at hot chip!!!!!!
    I could feel a vibration on my wellie so I turned around to see some guy with his lad in his hand pissing away while looking up at the stage singing.

me: "are you ****ing pissing on me??"
    scumbag: "No!?!?!"
    me: "why have you got your dick in your hand?"
    scumbag: "I didn't want to go outside and miss hot chip man"

If it weren't for the fact that my girlfriend started freaking out I think I actually would have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

ball ox wrote: »

Oh yeah, some guy tried to take a piss on me at hot chip!!!!!!
    I could feel a vibration on my wellie so I turned around to see some guy with his lad in his hand pissing away while looking up at the stage singing.

If it weren't for the fact that my girlfriend started freaking out I think I actually would have killed him.

Some people just have no shame! How horrible! I saw a guy taking a piss up against one of the poles in the middle of the Electric Arena. There wasn't a gig on at the time. We were just sitting down waiting for Crystal Castles and he just waltzed right up. There were actual toilets just outside the Electric Arena! Or he could have at least gone to the fence outside rather than just going for it in the middle of the tent!

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a girl and have to make the trek to the portaloos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Just out of interest, how much was a tangerine fields ticket?

2 people for a 3 man tent was £120 (about €74 each) this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

quarryman wrote: »
    So who was in the comedy tent when the comedian discovered me asleep in "my tent" and awarded me a packet of baby wipes for the achievement? :)

Oh, were you the fella that was wearing the Tour de Picnic tshirt?

2 people for a 3 man tent was £120 (about €74 each) this year.

Might be an option for next year if it means your stuff (and yourself) is safe.

Mind you, I met such really, really nice people at the campsite, I'd be very sorry to miss out on that element of it.

We'd to pass through the Oscar Wilde campsite on the way to the main arena. Litter everywhere. The toilets were just unspeakable. Looked absolute mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

kellsred wrote: »
    Oh, were you the fella that was wearing the Tour de Picnic tshirt?

yep, another reason why i was exhausted! had to sleep somewhere!

hang on a second.....

"KellsRed" eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

beanyb wrote: »
    Just saw a tweet from EP looking for good and bad feedback at info@electricpicnic.ie. It's so they can change things for next year apparently. I'm gonna send one asking for more security in the campsites. You guys are right that security have their priorities totally mixed up. People getting robbed blind in the campsites, but they're concentrating on stopping people bringing a few cans into the arena!

Getting robbed and our tent flooded because of the feckers on the last night was seriously unpleasant but up until Sunday night I thought it was a great year and I'll definitely be going back for my 5th EP. The organisers of EP were pretty good about bringing the toilets up to scratch over the past few years so hopefully they can do the same with the security. Everyone should get in touch urging them to get more security and high alert on the go. I'm convinced the people who robbed us were just there to steal as they went through every bit of our stuff and knew exactly what they were looking for, they probably hit all the festivals just to rob people so if they can be deterred somehow, hopefully EP won't go the same as Oxegen!

I always carry my phone and camera on a lanyard around my neck and have my purse in my pocket but hooked on to my shorts, I only wish I'd done the same with my car keys but they'll be going straight into a gig locker next year, a hard lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I know the drink search at the entrance gates to the main area goes on every year but this year they were just rediculous. There were far too many security men and woman searching for drink and for added madness they were taking all the bottles that people had and sniffing them like goodo. Im surprised they didnt start doing forensic tests on the bottles. God forbid you might have a bit of vodka in your coke.

I hope they were getting well paid by the drink companies cos those jobsworths certainly earned their money.

The organisers should have had a lot less drink searches and much more on site presence at the various camping sites.

Hearing about people getting robbed when then fast asleep and in their tent is really horrible.

Once you're home and in your sleeping bag, you'd just automatically assume that you're safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I found it extremely easy to get drink into the arena, never got searched and they never spotted the two cans down each leg of my trousers!

Although when we were putting the cans into a bag a little bit past the Arena entrance a security fella walked up and spotted what we were doing. He just said that he didn't see anything and too move along which was very good of him to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Much easier to do static guard than walk around doing checks that people don't actually rob stuff. the amount of drink stopped being brought in vs the amount paid to the security guards to police is very trivial and so the money would be better spent actually stopping thieves in the campsites. But of course managers dont' see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

ball ox wrote: »

Sorry but thats funny if not at all pleasant.

I thought there were more of a young crowd this year which brings more of a thugish element...But all in all everyone was fine when we were out there...Ps.Some talent(women)on show friday afternoon fair play to all of ye ,ye are a credit to your gender;););)

Advertisement