Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

laois gael wrote: »
    Sorry but thats funny if not at all pleasant.

Yeah it was gas, sure I pissed on him too and we both had a big laugh. Then I bought him a bag of chips and a pint. Trying to find him on face book now so we can be best friends forever......

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Very easy to get drink in, had no bothers at all, just tied the ends of the sleeves of of my jacket/hoodie and was able to to sneek in 2 coke bottles full of Buckie and 2 cans, always made sure that I walked in with a can that was nearly empty, downed it in front of security and wasn't searched much at all.

Since Oxegen 05 when my tent was robbed whiles I was sleeping, I always bring a 4D Mag Light torch, any one messes with you, whip it out and start swinging!

Sound on the Friday night in the main stages was not great, Vocals were very poor.

Modest mouse and Roxy Music were so boring. Took off from Roxy and got the last 40 mins of Eels, wish I seen the full set.

Villagers, Two Door Cinema Club, Friendly Fires, The National, Cathy Davey, Wolfe Parade all rocked.

Frames were very very good, and Glenn managed to shut up for a change and just BS to a minimun. Was nice to hear Mic Christopher's Hey Day being belted out. Did they finish 30 mins early???? Heard the next day that they finished at 11:30 not 12:00. I didn't notice myself TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Did anyone see Monotonix? Best live gig I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My phone fell out of my pocket and was then robbed. Fortunately I managed to get the phone number, full name and address of the little bitch with my phone, so now hopefully the guards will do their bit and actually follow it up for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Piste wrote: »
    My phone fell out of my pocket and was then robbed. Fortunately I managed to get the phone number, full name and address of the little bitch with my phone, so now hopefully the guards will do their bit and actually follow it up for me.

Some mighty fine police work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    He was laughing because he slipped twice while trying to get back onto the stage:D

I was at the very front, still have the imprint of the barrier on my chest:eek:

Just came across this video, it seems he accidentally stepped into a tank of water, The lid fell off when he stoon on it, he must have been drowded!!! To make matters worse a few mins earlier, his head was split open by a clash of heads!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-sekyEOFDo

I dunno why there is so many videos called Matt Berninger drunk! he seemed really sober at the Picnic to me!

He was obiviously a little groggy after clashing heads and then steps in a water tank!!! hahahah, I hope that wasn't drinking water for the Massive Attack fans! lol,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

lordgoat wrote: »
    Some mighty fine police work.

All that time spent watching Veronica Mars really paid off!
    Wouldn't be sure but I'd say that's a lie - you could possibly have bought a fake wristband unawares.

Not sure how common fake wristbands are in Ireland but I remember festivals in England getting very scared about them in 2009 and trying to come up with a strategy to combat them flooding the market in 2010.

Would the organisers sell wristbands directly to touts?

I wouldn't think so myself.

On the Saturday someone broke into the box office and robbed a load of wristbands, so the touts were selling on genuine, but stolen, wristbands. Some security people know the serial numbers of the stolen ones though and stopped people with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

The amount of horror stories here are horrible, luckily i dont have one but i have always locked the inside of my tent when at festivals and i brought locks for my friends too, gives me a slight sense of security when away from the tent, also like last year camped near a walkway this time just in hendrix right beside the o briens,

Only thing close to theft was on sunday night my mate returned to here two girls discussing robbing our gazebo to cover there tent, she politely told them to leave it which they didnt seem to grasp and then she had to explain how we borrowed it and the owner would be pissed off if it was stolen, she went to sleep and the girls where there when i returned a hour or so later so thankfully they never had the balls to cross my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Didn't see one bit of trouble all weekend. We mixed with everyone around us in the campsite and met nothing but bang on people. One of the girls from the tent behind us even went so far as to make a pot of tea for us in the morning on a small gas stove she had.

Weekend was just class with so much great stuff going on. I actually thought the overall vibe was better than last year but it seems we may have been lucky judging by reaction.

Too many music highlights to mention but one band stole the festival!

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

After working Oxegen and Leeds, and playing at Milk and AMF this was the first festival I actually attended all summer. I thought the atmosphere was a bit dull. In saying that I was sick and was only there one and a half days because my girlfriend lives in Stradbally.

I will say that my friends were working at it, and on the last day we all picked up about 50 cans each and threw them in the car! :O Crazy, all the campers were gone, just a few staff and 'looters' left. We just picked up ****loads of six packs and half crates people weren't bothered to bring home. We filled half the jacuzzi bath with beer, couple of hundred cans. Best part of my weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bananabanana

Doozie wrote: »
    Good God, that was the best weekend ever.

Lows:
    rain..meh...
    missing two door cinema club, Field Music, Booka Shade and Kormac's Big Band.....
    roll on next year

heading to the Berlin Music Festival on Wednesday!

Do you mean to say that Booka Shade and Kormac's Big Band were lows or that missing them were lows?

I only caught a small bit of Booka Shade but I thought Kormac's Big Band were awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

On the Saturday someone broke into the box office and robbed a load of wristbands, so the touts were selling on genuine, but stolen, wristbands. Some security people know the serial numbers of the stolen ones though and stopped people with them.

Another consequence of the lack of security it seems!

Do they have serial numbers on the wristbands now? Would have thought the only problem would be being spotted with one without the metal clip at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Another consequence of the lack of security it seems!

Do they have serial numbers on the wristbands now? Would have thought the only problem would be being spotted with one without the metal clip at the end.

I met a girl who paid 200 for her ticket from a tout and they put the metal thing on her. But aparently she lost it then somepoint after. Perhaps it was too loose or not put on properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

The serial numbers on the wristbands are tiny, barely legible. Would the security really bother checking every wristband?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I met heaps of people that slithered in..

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

THE GOOD:
    Fever Ray - absolutely incredible. And big thank you to the nice guy with the hat standing behind me who got an obnoxiously loud man singing to shut up.; I barely heard her for the first three songs because all I could hear was him. :mad:
    But other than that, Fever Ray was definitely my highlight.

IF that was about 8-12 rows back on the right that was me. Playing with our phone torches and the lasers later? Sometimes being 6'5 has benefits other than being able to see from everywhere.

I found a set of Car keys and an Iphone on Friday night. The lads were incredibly happy to get them back when I managed to track them down. He tried to give me twenty euro and I loved the look on his face when I said "no, dont worry it's the picnic - this is the way it should be". I remember when the entire crowd was like this. 4 years ago I lost my wallet. Someone found it and handed it in. Not only that, they found my student card in it and rand Student Recors in my University to try and pass on details, when that didnt work they found my student union cards and my society cards. They got a friend of theirs who also went to Trinity to find the number of the Union office and I got a call from them saying wallet handed in to X security point. Those kind of people are still coming to the picnic, its just a case of now locking down the security procedures better to avoid the scumbag element growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

My phone got taken on Sat night so thanks for everyone, if about, who let me ring my buddies from their phones (who I EVENTUALLY) got in touch with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Good
    The great line-up & the amount of stuff to do. I saw about 15 acts & most of them were very good. Plus I seen the lighting fellas at Arcadia & went to the silent disco (which I didn't get around to last year).
    The sun on Friday. It would of been great if Sat/Sun were the same.
    The boutiquey feel. I thought nearly everything was better than last year, including Body & Soul. It just seemed like more of an effort was made this year all round the arena in making the place look better.
    The generally good, cool, diverse crowd inside the arena.
    People in costumes & just pure random funny things.
    Kids raving at Crystal Castles.

Bad
    The great line-up & the amount of stuff to do :pac:
    Missed about 15 bands because of clashes etc...... But it's a good complaint really.
    The walk to/from the car park.
    Didn't really enjoy anything on the main stage.
    Hearing all the bad stories over the last couple of days of scum in the campsites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How did you manage to find all that out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mcgraner

Billy86 wrote: »
    LCD Soundsystem had to be the highlight for me; the whole tent just lost it's collective mind during 'Yeah Yeah Yeah'.

Definitely the highlight of my weekend the crowd were brilliant for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

hi had a great picnic but i have to say i did feel a little uneasier leaving the tent this year, seemed a little bit more dodge this year. mind u this probably wasnt helped by the early morning promo run by myself and a mate to the carparks early sat morning giving out freebies. There we saw quite a few damaged cars, (wing mirrors gone, windows smashed, even number plates robbed) worst of the lot though was a burned out van (possibly a berlingo or a peugeot partner) parked next to a very nice audi rs4 avant, which as a result of the car/van burning had all the paint stripped off it
    Imagine coming back to either of those cars on a wet hungover monday morning!!
    so i do think we need more security, not only in the campsites but in the carparks too. Possibly checking of tickets upon entry to the carpark might be an option, seemed to be a lot of lads just partying in the carparks for the weekend.

just a thought, overall a great time was had, pil were amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

hupdehup wrote: »
    hi had a great picnic but i have to say i did feel a little uneasier leaving the tent this year, seemed a little bit more dodge this year. mind u this probably wasnt helped by the early morning promo run by myself and a mate to the carparks early sat morning giving out freebies. There we saw quite a few damaged cars, (wing mirrors gone, windows smashed, even number plates robbed) worst of the lot though was a burned out van (possibly a berlingo or a peugeot partner) parked next to a very nice audi rs4 avant, which as a result of the car/van burning had all the paint stripped off it
    Imagine coming back to either of those cars on a wet hungover monday morning!!
    so i do think we need more security, not only in the campsites but in the carparks too. Possibly checking of tickets upon entry to the carpark might be an option, seemed to be a lot of lads just partying in the carparks for the weekend.

just a thought, overall a great time was had, pil were amazing!

Saw the van, it was right beside the Area B parking tent. I almost got sick when I saw it first as my own car was just a few up from it.

My heart just went out to the people in the Audi - imagine coming back to that.

However, was chatting to three lads who were over having a look and apparently the van fire was accidental. They don't know how it started but it wasn't malicious. Or according to the lads anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mcgraner

seachto7 wrote: »
    anyone see the waterboys?

I caught The Waterboys they were class they were the first act i went to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

louloumc89 wrote: »
    After working Oxegen and Leeds, and playing at Milk and AMF this was the first festival I actually attended all summer. I thought the atmosphere was a bit dull. In saying that I was sick and was only there one and a half days because my girlfriend lives in Stradbally.

I will say that my friends were working at it, and on the last day we all picked up about 50 cans each and threw them in the car! :O Crazy, all the campers were gone, just a few staff and 'looters' left. We just picked up ****loads of six packs and half crates people weren't bothered to bring home. We filled half the jacuzzi bath with beer, couple of hundred cans. Best part of my weekend!
    Filled the Jacuzzi :eek::eek: Would it not be wiser to just keep the cans for a good session with your mates & drink them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Toast wrote: »
    Why is the news only reporting 8 arrests for the festival when there seems to be enough accounts here of people being taken by guards to easily account for twice that?

Perhaps because they aren't true? Take a closer look ... you'll find a lot of reports are "I heard from a friend", "I know somebody who was there ..." rather than first hand experience. They say that 70% of travel reports on a well known travel site are fictional so I would apply the same rule of thumb to user generated accounts of experiences anywhere and I don't think here is any exception.

As it happens, I was there myself and I must say it was very quiet. I didn't see anybody "having the craic" (which usually means gross anti-social behaviour while drunk). Good fun seemed to be had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Great weekend!

I thought the carpark should have been managed a bit better. It had turned to mush on monday morning and there were just two poor lads pushing every single car out one by one. It was a real free-for-all. Plus, I went out to the carpark during the festival and saw a lot of people partying with couches and all. i'd say they hopped in.

Besides that everything was great. i thought there was a great atmosphere around. Lost my phone on saturday and some legend picked it up and found me. that wouldn't happen at oxegen!!

highlights for me were LCD Soundsystem playing New York I Love You, Kormac's Big Band being generally amazing, Alice from Crystal Castles being generally crazy, Beardyman being Beardyman and Roxy Music being legends! Loved that computer house thing on the way into Body & Soul and the wicker foxes too.

This was what my camera captured of the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Anyone else see the power rangers out in force, keeping the streets safe? :D

59374_150027561685886_150026845019291_310904_3729468_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWA3Fu6wto

This is why E.P is Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aridal

Varkov wrote: »
    Anyone else see the power rangers out in force, keeping the streets safe? :D

59374_150027561685886_150026845019291_310904_3729468_n.jpg

I think I caught power rangers at arcadia for noise control - http://www.youtube.com/user/aridal68?feature=mhum#p/c/30142F4D565FE74F/0/vLAKmY51NDk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aridal

cordragza wrote: »

I honestly doubt anyone had a better picnic experience than those two :-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/aridal68?feature=mhum

Advertisement