Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mcgraner wrote: »
    I caught The Waterboys they were class they were the first act i went to

caught them too and I wasn't expecting much but wow, they were very good. I never expected them to be as heavy as they were, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

hupdehup wrote: »
    hi had a great picnic but i have to say i did feel a little uneasier leaving the tent this year, seemed a little bit more dodge this year. mind u this probably wasnt helped by the early morning promo run by myself and a mate to the carparks early sat morning giving out freebies. There we saw quite a few damaged cars, (wing mirrors gone, windows smashed, even number plates robbed) worst of the lot though was a burned out van (possibly a berlingo or a peugeot partner) parked next to a very nice audi rs4 avant, which as a result of the car/van burning had all the paint stripped off it
    Imagine coming back to either of those cars on a wet hungover monday morning!!
    so i do think we need more security, not only in the campsites but in the carparks too. Possibly checking of tickets upon entry to the carpark might be an option, seemed to be a lot of lads just partying in the carparks for the weekend.

just a thought, overall a great time was had, pil were amazing!

Saw that van and the poor Audi, had a good look at the van and it seemed to have been an electrical fire as the main inferno was under the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Filled the Jacuzzi :eek::eek: Would it not be wiser to just keep the cans for a good session with your mates & drink them

Not opened!! Haha We threw them in there to rinse them! They were other peoples cans! Ya never know! Course we're having a session, we'd already planned a back to college house party for this weekend, so worked out well! It's a house party where there'll be lotta musicians, we've a drum kit, amps, pa, Piano and about ten guitars/basses (most my band lives together) set up, so it'll be a jammin party.

Power rangers deadly idea, saw a group of them at leads though they were missing half the newer ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Reggaetrip

Varkov wrote: »
    Anyone else see the power rangers out in force, keeping the streets safe? :D

59374_150027561685886_150026845019291_310904_3729468_n.jpg

That is actually the best picture of EP ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

To be honest, I'd imagine those lads in the Power Rangers suits were ten times more helpful and competent than the security at EP.

They were hands-down the worst security I've seen at any festival, ranging from apologetically clueless to some of the biggest dickheads I've ever encountered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

bryaner wrote: »
    I met heaps of people that slithered in..

With all this talk of security etc just have to throw in the fact that one of the lads camping with us showed up at the tents with no wristband and when we said this to him he said nah he was grand he had a ticket. Wile funny for us not reaklly for him. he had to go back up to entrance again and was nearly kicked out till the girl kinda recognised him and he got sorted in the end!

Also does anyone here remember what the song was that Phil Jupitus played with Duke Special???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

BrianD wrote: »
    Perhaps because they aren't true? Take a closer look ... you'll find a lot of reports are "I heard from a friend", "I know somebody who was there ..." rather than first hand experience. They say that 70% of travel reports on a well known travel site are fictional so I would apply the same rule of thumb to user generated accounts of experiences anywhere and I don't think here is any exception.

As it happens, I was there myself and I must say it was very quiet. I didn't see anybody "having the craic" (which usually means gross anti-social behaviour while drunk). Good fun seemed to be had by all.

I think you're being a bit harsh Brian.

First off there are 32-35000 people at EP, so all of them are not going to have a good time that's granted. **** happens.
    How many of them do you think post on boards? I don't believe it's a massive percentage i be inclined to read this thread and think that for every person that posts a bad experience there are far more that do not.

I've been mod on G/E for 3+years i think and posted here as a user for a user for a few more. This EP has by far got the worst press than any before it. It's followed the same path that Witnness did. I went to the first 4/5 of them and then say the crowd turn from a music orientated one to a teenie bopper one with a very nasty side to it. I was at the infamous boards vs MCD oxegen and i thought the coverage it got made MCD look good. It was far worse than reported. Again i will admit maybe i was just unlucky with what i saw and happened to my friends.

I missed EP this year mainly because most of my friends weren't interested and the alot of who i wanted to see clashed. From reading the reports on here i'm kind of glad. The last EP i was at was my favourite festival. Glad that i still have that.

I'd urge everyone that has had a positive and negative picnic to use the feedback forum. Commend them for what they got right and suggest how they can keep those things going strong as well as giving the pointers as to where they can improve.

Security has gotten slammed more this year than before and that is one thing that should be highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Pace2008 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd imagine those lads in the Power Rangers suits were ten times more helpful and competent than the security at EP.

They were hands-down the worst security I've seen at any festival, ranging from apologetically clueless to some of the biggest dickheads I've ever encountered.

dawt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

after a summer of download, oxegen, latitude, glasto, big chill, leeds and ep, i can honestly say its a toss up between oxegen and ep for worst run and undesirable crowd. I expected it from oxegen but ep is slipping down a slope , last year it started losing its boutique edge, turning into a mini oxegen now :-(, castlepalooza might be the alternative next year...

I posted on this forum about a friend spotting what posters have described as 'The undesirable crowd quota' increasing and it was intimated that I was a bit of a judgemental snob. I can't tolerate the scumbag crowd , I just end up losing my temper. From what I've read they need much better security so hopefully people will give feedback to the actual organisers. From all the positive reports it seems like a festival that's too good to become another Oxygen fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

I was volunteering at EP this year and had a savage time.

Have to agree with there being a lack of security though.

I was the gate beside the big wheel checking wrist bands on Saturday night. Two guys came up to me without wristbands. I said they weren't allowed through and they refused to p!$$ off.
    I waived at the security guards to take them away but the security guards just sat on the ground watching. The lads then pushed by me and went into the main arena.
    Since I was only volunteering, I wasn't going to endanger myself. It was not my job to "remove" people from the gates.
    I later asked the guards what they were doing. They said they were on a 5 minute break!

Not cool :mad:

Rant over.

Apart from this, had an amazing time, met loads of friendly people and saw some sweet acts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit harsh Brian.

First off there are 32-35000 people at EP, so all of them are not going to have a good time that's granted. **** happens.
    How many of them do you think post on boards? I don't believe it's a massive percentage i be inclined to read this thread and think that for every person that posts a bad experience there are far more that do not.

I've been mod on G/E for 3+years i think and posted here as a user for a user for a few more. This EP has by far got the worst press than any before it. It's followed the same path that Witnness did. I went to the first 4/5 of them and then say the crowd turn from a music orientated one to a teenie bopper one with a very nasty side to it. I was at the infamous boards vs MCD oxegen and i thought the coverage it got made MCD look good. It was far worse than reported. Again i will admit maybe i was just unlucky with what i saw and happened to my friends.

I missed EP this year mainly because most of my friends weren't interested and the alot of who i wanted to see clashed. From reading the reports on here i'm kind of glad. The last EP i was at was my favourite festival. Glad that i still have that.

I'd urge everyone that has had a positive and negative picnic to use the feedback forum. Commend them for what they got right and suggest how they can keep those things going strong as well as giving the pointers as to where they can improve.

Security has gotten slammed more this year than before and that is one thing that should be highlighted.

The only people that are going to post on boards are those with an extreme opinion. Most people don't and in the same way it's comparable to Tripadvisor. Most people who go on a holiday don't post a review. Even your attitude beggars belief as a moderator - and as you say you weren't there. would you honestly base an opinion based on what is said here?

Well having been at 3 EP's so far I can safely say that this was one of the "quietiest" festivals I have been at. AT previous festivals I have seen people go over the steel wall, cans thrown over the arena well and the odd bit of anti-social behaviour from particularly drunk people. Generally not much happens at the EP as they tend to be an older self policing crowd. I have to say that even if I was to be overly negative there was little to report.

No matter what promoters claim the numbers attending any festival in Ireland this year are down. This would explain why another poster thought that 8 arrests was low. I didn't see a single intervention by security anywhere. There was a lot of security and to be frank most looked bored.

Finally, where is the bad press for this years EP? All the reports are good from what I have read and seen.. At any large event there's always going to be some anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭mormank

laois gael wrote: »
    Was excellent was working out there friday at 7pm so got in for free thought local Boy James o connor was superb in the Cosy tent friday afternoon...

Came back into Portlaoise Saturday for a while to get a shower etc.So handy to live so near

Fri night 3 lads broke into our Tent,They were from dublin as the accent was plain as day I dont think they knew what they got themselves into tho as we woke up there were 4 of us 2 of my mates are garda and we had another 6 mates in a tent beside us.

We hit them a few thumps and pinned them down till we got a few more undercover guards to help us.

1 lad got away but two were taken into the station i heard 1 of them had €1700 in cash on him and 9 mobile phones I hope they get rightly done..

Other than that it was a great picnic I think the rain sunday evening added to the madness.Body and soul was amazing.

Wow. fair play to you guys!! i have been in oz for two years and i am just back. the level of scumbags has gone up everywhere since I've been gone. I hate them so much, they just have to try and wreck everything for everyone else. this year was my first EP and i did notice quite a few scumbags there tbh. I am one of the lucky ones though as they didn't ruin my weekend. I am shocked to hear what has happened to alot of people.

My solution to the problem, every person who is caught robbing anything from anyone else...on monday before we leave they get tied to a pole somewhere in body and soul and everybody gets to throw stones at them. one per person at EP, oh and from as close as you like!

Please don't let these scumbags stopping you from going next year, this was my first one, I wanna make sure the good people/scumbag ratio stays high on the side of good people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh...also i found a phone outside my tent on saturday morning. Didn't belong to any of my group so i took responibility for it. About 2 i got a call on this phone from someone called Caroline. I reassured her that if she could find me her friend would get her phone back. I assumed it was a guy called Geoff who had stopped by our tent that morning for a chat, i remembered his name cos we had a shake about the fact that our names were spelt the exact same. About 30 mins later i got a phonecall on the phone I found from geoff himself making sure i wasnt gonna screw him. I assured him i was looking forward to seeing him again later so he said 'grand i'll give you a buzz later, enjoy your day'. He remembered who i was and was certain he would get his phone back so just said we would both enjoy our tent and meet back at the tent later. The problem was that i didnt know where he was staying and he was pretty drunk when he was at ours...

Next disater struck, the battery died!!! I was sickened as he ahd a pin code on his phone so I couldnt get any numbers out of it to contact him..It was now down to me bumping into this guy out of 30k people!!! Night dragged on, I wandered home about 3 in the morning and just as i was coming off the white walkway to my tent Geoff was sitting with a group of friends and i went staight over to him to give him his phone..he was delighted to see me!! I was happy out too, I had made it my mission to getthis guy his phone back.

To hear so many people were robbing stuff really sickens me!! i had heard so many great things about EP, seems the scumbags are trying to ruin it for us all!! Don't let them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Security seems to be getting some rap here alright and I'm not saying that this was undeserved, but in my case, they couldn't have been more helpful.

The Friday night in OW campsite, I encountered 2 groups in the space of 30min robbing tents. The first came up and when they realised there was a very sizeable group of us (and we were suitable staring them out of it), they fecked off.

The second time, I had waited alone for friends who were just coming through the wristbands. My friends went on into the arena and I figured it would make more sense to wait for the mates than go in and be called back a few minutes later. So I sat in the porch of my tent. 6 lads (all Dublin like myself, 18 or 19) came up but didn't see me. One of them said to a few of them to go into my friends tent across the way and two of them bailed in, the other 4 outside. At this point I jumped out f***ing and blinding - 4 bailed, and the other 2 started threatening me (I'm a 5'2" female!). Anyway, good defense is a good offence and all that so eventually they scarpered.

Once they'd gotten lost, I went to security. Straightaway, the first lad I spoke to called over a few others, they took descriptions of the guys in their notebooks, were very considerate, understanding and pro-active. Luckily, in true 'Dublin's Dummest Scumbag' style, one of the pr*cks was wearing a flourescent yellow hoodie. DISCREET!!! And that was it for the rest of the weekend, no bothers at all. The next morning I met one of the same security guys and remembered me and was able to give me a follow up on what had happened.

So, just saying, they weren't all bad :(

BrianD wrote: »
    The only people that are going to post on boards are those with an extreme opinion. Most people don't and in the same way it's comparable to Tripadvisor. Most people who go on a holiday don't post a review. Even your attitude beggars belief as a moderator - and as you say you weren't there. would you honestly base an opinion based on what is said here?

Well having been at 3 EP's so far I can safely say that this was one of the "quietiest" festivals I have been at. AT previous festivals I have seen people go over the steel wall, cans thrown over the arena well and the odd bit of anti-social behaviour from particularly drunk people. Generally not much happens at the EP as they tend to be an older self policing crowd. I have to say that even if I was to be overly negative there was little to report.

No matter what promoters claim the numbers attending any festival in Ireland this year are down. This would explain why another poster thought that 8 arrests was low. I didn't see a single intervention by security anywhere. There was a lot of security and to be frank most looked bored.

Finally, where is the bad press for this years EP? All the reports are good from what I have read and seen.. At any large event there's always going to be some anti-social behaviour.
    I was tackled to the ground and had my wristband torn off me (managed to get a new one issued by a sound member of staff after the clueless security had a game of hot potato with me for about 12 hours). It seemed safe enough for the most part but some **** definitely did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Another consequence of the lack of security it seems!

Do they have serial numbers on the wristbands now? Would have thought the only problem would be being spotted with one without the metal clip at the end.

Yeah but they're very faint. All the stolen ones began with the same 3 digits, so anyone who arrived at the main entrance with those digits on their wristbands had it snipped off them and were thrown out.
    threein99 wrote: »
    How did you manage to find all that out ?

A mixture of lying and stalking >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I was tackled to the ground and had my wristband torn off me (managed to get a new one issued by a sound member of staff after the clueless security had a game of hot potato with me for about 12 hours). It seemed safe enough for the most part but some **** definitely did happen.

WTF :eek:

When did it happen? And where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I had to laugh reading your post lordgoat when you finally came around to saying you didn't even attend. Little bitterness maybe ? From what I can gather one particular campsite has the trouble and people who have negative experiences are much more likely to post on a message board but as BrianD says the festival in general is getting great reviews.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    I had to laugh reading your post lordgoat when you finally came around to saying you didn't even attend. Little bitterness maybe ? From what I can gather one particular campsite has the trouble and people who have negative experiences are much more likely to post on a message board but as BrianD says the festival in general is getting great reviews.

Opr

I have no regrets about attending. I also have many friends who did attend and not one of them said anything to contradict the opinions on here. So you could say to me, they backed up what i head been reading on this thread. Then having the ability to remember and compare what had been said about the previous festivals. Have a read over my post again and i did not comment directly on the festival, merely made an observation. Alas i'm in work and fully reply to BrianD message yet but i will.

Also you do know that your name is clearly visible to everyone on the left of your post, negating the need to sign each individual post.

Opr.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

4th time going and can honestly say never got any grief off the scruffs that do float about at it. Lost my camera on the Friday night (super locked) got it back on Sunday from lost and found, Delighted :). Thought that young fella Daithi O'Dronai was savage in body and soul Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

WTF :eek:

When did it happen? And where?
    Up at the toilets in the Andy Warhol capmsite on Friday night. It was a busy area so the ***** who did it were pretty brazen.

When I tried to get sorted out I was actually kicked out of the event by staff who though I was trying to pull a fast one. I eventually got sorted out at 9 the next morning, by which time I'd missed all the music from the Friday. I'm actually still too angry to type up what happened in detail; might do so at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

lordgoat wrote: »
    I have no regrets about attending. I also have many friends who did attend and not one of them said anything to contradict the opinions on here. So you could say to me, they backed up what i head been reading on this thread. Then having the ability to remember and compare what had been said about the previous festivals. Have a read over my post again and i did not comment directly on the festival, merely made an observation. Alas i'm in work and fully reply to BrianD message yet but i will.

I just find it a little strange that the last EP you attended was the best festival you have been at yet its getting progressively worse each year :confused:

Thanks for the head up re the name. Its something I had never realised lol

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Many here see Gil Scott Heron on Saturday night. Quiet honestly, one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Such a voice, showman and all round entertainer. There was only about 300-400 there which I found strange for a headline act. So glad I go to see him though, highlight of all my years going to EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Gil was amazing alright - ironically a touch too drunk to enjoy 'The Bottle' right at the end, but wonderful all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

beans wrote: »
    Gil was amazing alright - ironically a touch too drunk to enjoy 'The Bottle' right at the end, but wonderful all the same :)

I was sober for the whole thing, fuppin amazing(both his performace and the fact I was sober!)

opr wrote: »
    I just find it a little strange that the last EP you attended was the best festival you have been at yet its getting progressively worse each year :confused:

Thanks for the head up re the name. Its something I had never realised lol

Opr

The last EP was the best festival i was at due to the company. Not the actual festival.

Opr

Many here see Gil Scott Heron on Saturday night. Quiet honestly, one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Such a voice, showman and all round entertainer. There was only about 300-400 there which I found strange for a headline act. So glad I go to see him though, highlight of all my years going to EP

Saw him in tripod a few months back, the man can tell a story! Delighted to read the good reports i was wondering how his style would go down at a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

you didnt catch derbhla get the bottle bounced off her head either, she carried on like a pro though unlike axl rose

Advertisement