Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

there was more than one bottle heading towards them from what i can remember:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Such an odd mix rubberbandits and them. I do love DJ Willie O DeeJay in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

my 4th EP this year and another brillant festival.
    stayed in the OW for 1st time and had no problem.
    between me-my mates-there mates etc we had 11 tents in OW and no problems.
    only bad thing i saw was the ambulance taking somebody away from there tent.
    yes a lot of the security guys didnt give a fcuk,or care.
    i did notice a few scummers about but if there is 32,000 people in a field then a certain % will be scum.
    i spoke to at least 10 people who jumped the fence by sat eve.
    when i go to festivals i leave all expensive stuff at home and hide stuff under my tent.
    i also wear combat trousers and tape a pocket shut with my car keys in it.
    also sleep with money-phone etc in the bottom of my sleeping bag.
    not had any trouble since Feile 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Many here see Gil Scott Heron on Saturday night. Quiet honestly, one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Such a voice, showman and all round entertainer. There was only about 300-400 there which I found strange for a headline act. So glad I go to see him though, highlight of all my years going to EP

Thought the gig was very very tame. His voice is in good nick but why on earth didn't he have a bass player??

Left half way through to go to leftfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Was in oscar Wilde campsite. Absolutely no problem where I was, great Craic from all around us.

Everyone I was with thought it was the best EP ever but I think thats due to the company and craic, as someone said it's normally the company you're in not where you are.

I didn't notice an ounce of trouble all weekend.

I know a few people that bought fake wristbands, they were pretty awful copies but the still got in. Fair play to them I say.

Everyone I met was really friendly, and I spoke to loads of randomers, that's what festivals are about, meeting people and having the craic.

But I do agree that EP has lost it's boutique flavour and is turning into another oxegen (which I would never camp at)

Unfortunately in Ireland there isn't much choice so I can see EP getting bigger and bigger which is not a good thing.

All the acts were great too

Sound problems in Cosby tent

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

The more I think about it, the more I realise the problem was that the security were concentrating too much on stopping people bringing cans into the venue instead of keeping an eye on the campsite. Don't think I saw a single security guard the whole weekend in the campsite.

Still, saw no problems during the weekend. I still reckon it's not a patch on Oxegen. Heard a girl at work came back to the campsite on Saturday night in Oxegen to find her tent on fire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Was in oscar Wilde campsite. Absolutely no problem where I was, great Craic from all around us.

Everyone I was with thought it was the best EP ever but I think thats due to the company and craic, as someone said it's normally the company you're in not where you are.

I didn't notice an ounce of trouble all weekend.

I know a few people that bought fake wristbands, they were pretty awful copies but the still got in. Fair play to them I say.

Everyone I met was really friendly, and I spoke to loads of randomers, that's what festivals are about, meeting people and having the craic.

But I do agree that EP has lost it's boutique flavour and is turning into another oxegen (which I would never camp at)

Unfortunately in Ireland there isn't much choice so I can see EP getting bigger and bigger which is not a good thing.

My thoughts exactly. EP has lost lost that boutique element and gained a scumbag one. It's still hugely enjoyable but it might just be time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Of all the picnics I've been to over the years this had to be up there with the best. Had to work on the Friday evening and Sat morning but didn't get in the way at all.

Saturday night with Hot Chip - LCD - Leftfield was the highlight. Also the two lads at Arcadia giving the electricity show was out of this world.

I have no complaints with the security at all. Didn't see any trouble in the Hendrix site either. In fact the only bit of stupidity I saw all weekend was the two twats camping beside me. On leaving Monday morning they set fire to the sleeping bag of their tent and walked. Their tent was right beside mine and if it wasn't put out mine was going up too. But with the hungover head on me and the shock at what they did all I managed to do was stare at it in horror. Thankfully about 5 people came dashing over with water and put it out (so thank you to them). I always found the picnic crowd was very good at self-policing.

All-in-all a great picnic! Roll on next year!!

- Also, the big issue people seemed to have with the Picnic over the last few years were the toilets....but they seem to have nailed these now. So keep up the feedback to the organisers about security and I'm sure it will be top of their lists to get right next year. They will NOT want picnic getting a name as an unsafe festival and I'm sure will jump through hoops to get it right.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. EP has lost lost that boutique element and gained a scumbag one. It's still hugely enjoyable but it might just be time to move on.

i disagree that EP has gained a scumbag element,

my point is that its too well known now, before the kids only knew about oxegen but now they have another place to turn up to a field on friday with 240+ cans of beer, drink themselves stupid, act the maggot and think they are at the greatest festival ever. they're not there for the music or the festival - they're there to get totally off their face - which is not what EP is about.

in fact oxegen shouldnt be about that either but thats the general form from the kids of ireland today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

recyclops wrote: »
    you didnt catch derbhla get the bottle bounced off her head either, she carried on like a pro though unlike axl rose

My friend was onstage videoing it so he'll have great footage when the bandits upload it. He might have caught it on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

cordragza wrote: »

Aaaah, i was at that too. Have a few photos on my laptop. So good!
    Infact, that's my guitar...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

iamnothim wrote: »

I just mailed that video into Ray Darcy . Hopefully he'll give it a spin on air. That would be really cool for those 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

Was anyone near the front for the start of leftfield?

4960062865_a22649e737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

47869_428367831178_595171178_5586829_1391437_n.jpg

47869_428367821178_595171178_5586827_3570277_n.jpg

backstage in the hotpress area, we went in looking for a place to pee and found this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    Thought the gig was very very tame. His voice is in good nick but why on earth didn't he have a bass player??

Left half way through to go to leftfield

Well in comparison to leftfield, he is going to be a bit more sedate. Maybe not what everybody would want at the end of a day to keep the party going, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. As for the bass player, as the set was pretty much just a bit of cool jazz, didnt think there was any need for a bass player.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Saw him in tripod a few months back, the man can tell a story! Delighted to read the good reports i was wondering how his style would go down at a festival.

He did manage to get the audience interacting pretty well with him, got a few sing-a-longs going. All in all, it was a good bit of fun/entertainment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dusters

Hiya folks,

I was at the Picnic & brought my two boys over on Sunday. they both got their faces painted as spiderman, wore spider wellies & spiderman hats.
    They are 3 & 5, and both adore Mumford & Sons. We were standing right of stage (facing) just behind the sound desk. the boys had a blast & appeared to put a smile on the faces of those around us. i know loads of people took photos of them also.

long story short, did anyone here see us & take a photo, if so i really would love to try & get a copy.
    We are already looking forward to next years picnic.

thanks in advance
    dusters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭mormank

blueshed wrote: »
    my 4th EP this year and another brillant festival.
    stayed in the OW for 1st time and had no problem.
    between me-my mates-there mates etc we had 11 tents in OW and no problems.
    only bad thing i saw was the ambulance taking somebody away from there tent.
    yes a lot of the security guys didnt give a fcuk,or care.
    i did notice a few scummers about but if there is 32,000 people in a field then a certain % will be scum.
    i spoke to at least 10 people who jumped the fence by sat eve.
    when i go to festivals i leave all expensive stuff at home and hide stuff under my tent.
    i also wear combat trousers and tape a pocket shut with my car keys in it.
    also sleep with money-phone etc in the bottom of my sleeping bag.
    not had any trouble since Feile 1992.

What happened at Feile 1992??

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

^^
    some scummers = yes they were around back then also.
    we had our tent slashed and stuff robbed on the sat nite.
    mates had same thing happen the fri nite also.
    since that i take care who i pitch tent next to and what i leave in tent etc.
    as far as i remember my sleeping bag cost over £50 back then and bought clothes just for festival.
    one of the girls had jewellery worth hundreds robbed.

being thinking of what punishment for the scummers who try and ruin the picnic.
    i would like to dump them into the toilet tank that was in the OW campsite for the wend.anybody see slumdog millionare lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wow, what's your job?! class summer, fair play

manage a wee company between college that does alot of festivals, i also do wristbanding at fest republic gigs and dabble in some e.c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aridal

iamnothim wrote: »

aw thanks man! the kids saw your comment, they're buzzed. if you have photos let me know!

thanks for the loaner of the guitar, hope dylan didn't mess up the tuning so much changing to drop-D for everlong then back for the other track.

was that you up next after them? ...whowever it was was pretty excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aridal

stoneruile wrote: »
    I just mailed that video into Ray Darcy . Hopefully he'll give it a spin on air. That would be really cool for those 2 kids.

wow thanks for that :-) ....they were just having a gas, it wasn't planned, they just saw the 'open mic' sign and went for it. they had prepared the track for just one previous performance at the Wicklow LiveFest event in (the very excellent) Greystones Theatre. anyhow, we're just chuffed they're having so much fun with it. Facebook tells me there have been 200 shares already.

cheers anyhow, ...proud dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Has anyone seen John Waters' article in The Irish Times today about EP? http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0910/1224278569016.html

It's hilarious. And in typical John Waters style, self-indulgent nonsense. Worth a read for a laugh though. Soul poison. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I actually ruined so many pictures over the weekend. There's one of me at ASIWYFA looking at my camera while Rory is right above me with his guitar. In my defense, I was just looking to see if a pic came out okay before going back to being crazy. Also a few of my face covered in glow in the dark muck at Leftfield.

We were in the Andy Warhol campsite and had no problems whatsoever. All our neighbours were brilliant and when they were leaving on Saturday, they left us their drink and everything else they had there! I do apologise to everyone who may have been annoyed with the constant shouting of "mine, mine, mine, mine" from our courtyard. We only realised how annoying it was when we woke up on the Monday morning with severe hangoviers and a few of the guys were still doing it.

Will snap up the Early Birds as soon as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

beanyb wrote: »
    Has anyone seen John Waters' article in The Irish Times today about EP? http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0910/1224278569016.html

It's hilarious. And in typical John Waters style, self-indulgent nonsense. Worth a read for a laugh though. Soul poison. :D
    It's hard to take him seriously when he seems to be under the impression that The Frames were the headlining act on Saturday.

I'd have loved to have his face when the real pillheads came out for Leftfield :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Pace2008 wrote: »
    It's hard to take him seriously when he seems to be under the impression that The Frames were the headlining act on Saturday.

I'd have loved to have his face when the real pillheads came out for Leftfield :D

you can see what he's getting at sometimes but he just presents it in this condescending generalistic manner...IE "everybody that needs a drink/drugs at a festival clearly has no soul"

smug twat

one of the comments in the forum sums it up quite well - "it must be terrible being old"

such a great EP this year, couldn't possibly sun it up without writing 2,000 words - saw 25 acts, numerous highlights, couple of twats around as usual, but beautiful people in the vast majority as always. Fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

aridal wrote: »
    wow thanks for that :-) ....they were just having a gas, it wasn't planned, they just saw the 'open mic' sign and went for it. they had prepared the track for just one previous performance at the Wicklow LiveFest event in (the very excellent) Greystones Theatre. anyhow, we're just chuffed they're having so much fun with it. Facebook tells me there have been 200 shares already.

cheers anyhow, ...proud dad

Hopefully he gives it a spin. Stranger things have happened. Whatever you do. Don't let them give up the music!!!

Advertisement