Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

aridal wrote: »
    wow thanks for that :-) ....they were just having a gas, it wasn't planned, they just saw the 'open mic' sign and went for it. they had prepared the track for just one previous performance at the Wicklow LiveFest event in (the very excellent) Greystones Theatre. anyhow, we're just chuffed they're having so much fun with it. Facebook tells me there have been 200 shares already.

cheers anyhow, ...proud dad

I've watched/listened to that video about 20-30 times, and everybody I showed it to has gone "wow". It just typifies what the picnic is all about, cool random events that just blow you away.
    You should be proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

AdMMM wrote: »
    Will snap up the Early Birds as soon as I can.

I got them this year & it worked out great. The line-up turned out to be amazing & had a blast. Will probably get them again for next year.
    They didn't sell out the early birds this year at all. But nearly everyone is saying they enjoyed this year, so they might sell out for next year.
    ...saw 25 acts...

Fair fucks. That's good going. Works out at only a tenner per act. Good value :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aridal

I've watched/listened to that video about 20-30 times, and everybody I showed it to has gone "wow". It just typifies what the picnic is all about, cool random events that just blow you away.

Hiya this is Lauren the singer using my dads internet for a second. Thank you for that comment! The picnic is really fun! I liked my song but its not that good really!

now this is the last one I promise, no more spamming your forum with 'the dylan and lauren show' but we were bowled over by the nice comments and stumbling on pics of them on here

finally maybe you might get some grins - lauren has a playlist at the link below including a song her band wrote about disgraced banker shaunie fitzpatrick being a vampire :-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicInOurPockets#grid/user/77C5E45A621D9D43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I got them this year & it worked out great. The line-up turned out to be amazing & had a blast. Will probably get them again for next year.
    They didn't sell out the early birds this year at all. But nearly everyone is saying they enjoyed this year, so they might sell out for next year.

Fair fucks. That's good going. Works out at only a tenner per act. Good value :)

it was feckin magical...I just did me own thing completely and met people between shows/ at shows I wanted to go to/ at the end of the evening.

About 6 of those gigs I'd say I'd saw half of because I was either legging it to or from another one (with laminated schedule in hand - yes, I was one of those :))

- which works out quite well, because if you're happy to leave a gig then you've prob heard a lot of the big songs that you wanted to hear...and then if you arrive half way through another one, you get the big finale...happy days

IE - caught the first 20 mins of 2 Door Cinema Club which included the big hits then pegged it to Friendly Fires who were savage, poor crowd though but it was fun up the front

To sum up...I thoroughly recommend the reckless abandoning of all lovers/spouses/friends in the pursuit of utopian gig viewing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭AnonMous

after a summer of download, oxegen, latitude, glasto, big chill, leeds and ep, i can honestly say its a toss up between oxegen and ep for worst run and undesirable crowd. I expected it from oxegen but ep is slipping down a slope , last year it started losing its boutique edge, turning into a mini oxegen now :-(, castlepalooza might be the alternative next year...

I am thinking the same thing as you.

The Picnic for me has plummeted in standards in the last few years and I am sad to say that I will not be returning again next year.

I saw a fight in Neutronyx (rave in the woods) on Friday night and that to me signalled the end of the Picnic as we once knew it. More scumbags than ever before.

I was at the Big Chill in August and it was absolutely amazing. Everyone was so respectful of each other and the festival itself really lives up to it's name.

I've camped in Hendrix the last three years as I thought it was safer than other campsites. It did feel quite safe there, until, Saturday night....

Went to sleep at 4.40. As we slept, we were robbed. Somebody came into our tent (its 6ft high, you can stand up in it). Stole my phone and money (which was left beside my head as I slept). Money was inside the inside zipper of my handbag so not easy to find. Also stole my boyfriends money from his pants pocket. €300 - €400 between the two of us. Tents around us were done to....

The worst thing is, when I woke up next morning at bout 9.30 I wasn't sure if my phone was just missing or if it had been stolen, so I rang my number, no answer, but then HE RANG ME BACK.... Saying "Morning darling, what else are you missing ha ha ha....."

Good news is, we have a lead in tracking him down, long story.

I have to be honest guys, somebody coming into your tent as you sleep is very dangerous. I don't know if I'll be returning to EP, camping at least. Don't think it's safe. Imagine if my BF had gone to rave in the woods (as he was thinking of doin) and if I was sleeping there alone? Doesn't bare thinking about really....

I am absolutely speechless after reading your post. :eek:

As i've already said, i'm done with the Picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

AnonMous wrote: »
    I am absolutely speechless after reading your post. :eek:

As i've already said, i'm done with the Picnic!
    I agree that it's a terrible thing to happen to anybody but seriously though, you're "done with the Picnic"??

Bad people do bad things... Some people are unlucky enough to get robbed at EP, others get mugged/beaten up, others have their cars and houses robbed or vandalized.

You can't hide from them. Camping in a tent is one of those situations where you're a bit more vulnerable and there's nothing you can do about some sick bastard coming into your tent at night and robbing your stuff. But to write off EP as you've done is ridiculous! Will you ever camp again? Will you ever go to another music festival again? Just because you've heard this happened to one person?

I've been to Electric Picnic three times now and many other festivals in europe and have never had any trouble. I don't bring valuables bar my wallet and a ****ty old phone (with an amazing battery life at that). Nobody in my group would ever bring an mp3 player and speakers as that just advertises "Rob Me!". The only thing I'd worry about someone robbing is my beer! ;)

I hate to hear these stories of theft but I for one will definitely be going again next year! There's 32,000 people in a campsite, most of them drinking, a lot of them really drunk at night. Some people are there to take advantage of the situation and that's just the way it is and always will be...

M450 wrote: »
    I agree that it's a terrible thing to happen to anybody but seriously though, you're "done with the Picnic"??

Bad people do bad things... Some people are unlucky enough to get robbed at EP, others get mugged/beaten up, others have their cars and houses robbed or vandalized.

You can't hide from them. Camping in a tent is one of those situations where you're a bit more vulnerable and there's nothing you can do about some sick bastard coming into your tent at night and robbing your stuff. But to write off EP as you've done is ridiculous! Will you ever camp again? Will you ever go to another music festival again? Just because you've heard this happened to one person?

I've been to Electric Picnic three times now and many other festivals in europe and have never had any trouble. I don't bring valuables bar my wallet and a ****ty old phone (with an amazing battery life at that). Nobody in my group would ever bring an mp3 player and speakers as that just advertises "Rob Me!". The only thing I'd worry about someone robbing is my beer! ;)

I hate to hear these stories of theft but I for one will definitely be going again next year! There's 32,000 people in a campsite, most of them drinking, a lot of them really drunk at night. Some people are there to take advantage of the situation and that's just the way it is and always will be...

+1

been to a good few festivals incl 6 EPs and am lucky enough to have never come in contact with these types. Like you say there are certain things you can do to minimise the risk but sometimes yer in the wrong place at the wrong time, such is life.

There is a possibility that there was a bigger amount of skangers this year, I noticed a few alright...but maybe I was just a bit more lucid than other years, in fact I know I was...so much so I cursed it a few time...especially at Leftfield :pac:

But the fact is, every year this kind of stuff has been reported about the EP. Its horrible for whoever is befalls ...but it happens. You can't boycott a car because someone got killed in a car accident. Well I suppose you could...but...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

In fairness, I don't think it was just about what happened to one person. I read this forum every year after EP and there is no doubt that this year had more bad responses than other years.

I personally had a bad experience when camping this year but inside the arena was one of the better times I've had at EP. Had someone entered my tent and robbed me while I slept, I wouldn't be going near the place again either. That kind of stuff is the total opposite of what I have always loved about this festival.

I also don't think that because there are 32,000 drunk people it is a green light for people to get robbed or that anyone should be taken advantage of. That kind of behaviour should never be accepted.

• Advertisement

I am done with the Picnic ya, but not just because of what I have heard what has happened to people. I've been at 6 Electric Picnics myself and I felt this year that the vibe was very different than before. I just haven't enjoyed the last 2 Picnics so don't see the point in forking out a small fortune when my enjoyment of the event has gone down.

From now on, i'm going to head to the smaller, independent festivals such as Life, Indiependence etc. here in Ireland and head to bigger festivals on the continent from now on. The Big Chill in England is wll worth a look for anyone who wants to see a festival that has areally chilled out vibe with a safe and friendly atmosphere.

I am done with the Picnic ya, but not just because of what I have heard what has happened to people. I've been at 6 Electric Picnics myself and I felt this year that the vibe was very different than before. I just haven't enjoyed the last 2 Picnics so don't see the point in forking out a small fortune when my enjoyment of the event has gone down.

From now on, i'm going to head to the smaller, independent festivals such as Life, Indiependence etc. here in Ireland and head to bigger festivals on the continent from now on. The Big Chill in England is wll worth a look for anyone who wants to see a festival that has areally chilled out vibe with a safe and friendly atmosphere.

fair enough, each to his own. Been to Castlepalooza a couple o times when we were playing, very cool little set-up, bigger now too. Indiependence and Cois Farraige etc look good too.

Maybe it's easy for me to say but i wouldn't be put off by EP horror stories, the same way I wouldn't be put off getting on an aeroplane. I admit it seems like its creeping a little bit towards the darkside alright and people might need to be more vigilant. I think the perimeter situation is clearly what they need to address if they're to thwart the skanger element but whether they have the will/finance or not I don't know.

...but my experience this year will keep me comin back again, and again, and again possibly...(and again)

I understand what you're saying but it's not enough to turn me off it. I hear Life is a lot worse though in terms of scumbags ****ed off their heads...

I'd recommend the Open'er festival in Poland, usually first week in July. I've been there the last 2 years and it's excellent! Smaller crowd than EP with more space I believe. Always an excellent crowd there.

Usually costs 85-90 euro for a 4 day camping ticket and if you play your cards right you'll get dirt cheap flights. I paid €55 (incl a checked bag split between 4 of us). That was flying Dub -> Oslo -> Gdansk -> Dublin
    Another great thing about it is you can camp the day before so you're there for 5 nights! There's free shuttle buses running from the beach to the festival and onto the town so during the day you can leave the campsite and music starts around 5 or 6. It's a whole new experience really...

I understand what you're saying but it's not enough to turn me off it. I hear Life is a lot worse though in terms of scumbags ****ed off their heads...

I'd recommend the Open'er festival in Poland, usually first week in July. I've been there the last 2 years and it's excellent! Smaller crowd than EP with more space I believe....

anyone been to sziget on the island in the danube in budapest? ...sounds great. only thing is - it gets SERIOUSLY hot in budapest in summer, so dunno ....tent like a sauna etc, ....

aridal wrote: »
    anyone been to sziget on the island in the danube in budapest? ...sounds great. only thing is - it gets SERIOUSLY hot in budapest in summer, so dunno ....tent like a sauna etc, ....
    Never been to Sziget.

Last year at Open'er I was waking up at 7 or 8 in a pool of sweat every morning, we had a little 2-man tent, it was a sauna! This year I made sure to bring a bigger tent with 2 big doors to let the breeze through and it wasn't that bad at all. Some of the other lads just got out of their little tents and slept outside in the shadow of ours haha... I had a lovely cold shower every day though :D The facilities are excellent!

I'd recommend the Open'er festival in Poland, usually first week in July. I've been there the last 2 years and it's excellent! Smaller crowd than EP with more space I believe. Always an excellent crowd there.

Usually costs 85-90 euro for a 4 day camping ticket and if you play your cards right you'll get dirt cheap flights. I paid €55 (incl a checked bag split between 4 of us). That was flying Dub -> Oslo -> Gdansk -> Dublin
    Another great thing about it is you can camp the day before so you're there for 5 nights! There's free shuttle buses running from the beach to the festival and onto the town so during the day you can leave the campsite and music starts around 5 or 6. It's a whole new experience really...

Life festivak is great in my opinion. Real chilled out vibe and all the staff are super friendly. It is a real drug fest and everyone is twisted all weekend but they all seem to get on the same buzz so it's cool.

One of my mates mentioned that Open'er festival today and it looks unreal, going by this years line up anyway. Will definitely be checking that one out next year :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

Because of the good rep EP had it's no wonder gangs of thieves hit it this year, it was like a gold mine! Having gone to EP for the past 4 yrs, I for 1 was naive enough to think I could throw my little 4GB ipod (which was totally scratched and on it's very last legs) and cheapy speakers in the tent on the last night and nobody would go near it, not the case! They went through absolultely every little thing in my tent for anything of value they could find and even nicked my 11 euro wellies the lil pricks! Now that the low security has been flagged and people are reporting the amount of theft that went on this year, it may not be so lucrative for thieves in coming years and hopefully it won't be as attractive to them. I won't be so naive in future but I will most definitely go back as up until Sunday night I had an amazing time as I always do at the picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Being a local, I heard of tons of people from all parts of the county driving over and sneaking in almost openly through the woods around the estate during the weekend and especially on the last night being seemly "unnoticed" by the Security (which is infamously lax).

They need to get a more efficient Security company, I'm not sure who does it, but I know that if they got I-RMS or the market leaders, Eventsec, things should be a lot different and a lot better run.

Driving past each morning I see they're still moving all the fixtures and fittings by lorry and the security is still watching over that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

It looks like a lot of good people won't be going back to EP next year, I think that's such a pity. There needs to be a big scanger cull in this country, maybe we can organise a pied piper to lead them all away and leave the rest of us alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I've camped in Hendrix the last three years as I thought it was safer than other campsites. It did feel quite safe there, until, Saturday night....

Went to sleep at 4.40. As we slept, we were robbed. Somebody came into our tent (its 6ft high, you can stand up in it). Stole my phone and money (which was left beside my head as I slept). Money was inside the inside zipper of my handbag so not easy to find. Also stole my boyfriends money from his pants pocket. €300 - €400 between the two of us. Tents around us were done to....

The worst thing is, when I woke up next morning at bout 9.30 I wasn't sure if my phone was just missing or if it had been stolen, so I rang my number, no answer, but then HE RANG ME BACK.... Saying "Morning darling, what else are you missing ha ha ha....."

Good news is, we have a lead in tracking him down, long story.

I have to be honest guys, somebody coming into your tent as you sleep is very dangerous. I don't know if I'll be returning to EP, camping at least. Don't think it's safe. Imagine if my BF had gone to rave in the woods (as he was thinking of doin) and if I was sleeping there alone? Doesn't bare thinking about really....

Shivers.... that is terrible. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

I was down with my 9yr old nephews and had a great time eventually majority of 'security' don't know their arse from their elbow except those on the actual family campsite which was very secure and safe.

Spoke to a few girls who said after they pitched and set up a group of lads came with only a few tents and camped beside them. They thought it was strange as they had no bags/drink/chairs/sleeping bags or any of that. The girls went into the main arena for a while and when they came back loads of their stuff was missing. All their drink gone and a lot of their chairs/sleeping bags and even clothes. When they looked over there were the lads beside them sitting on the chairs and drinking the same drink they had. Even had the brass necks to be wearing their hats and stuff.
    The girls went to the security and were told (not so nicely) that it wasn't anything to do with them that they would have to go to the Gardai who then just went and drug searched the lads and left them with all their stuff. Poor girls had to go home that day and were just waiting on lifts.
    What are they security there for if the safety of the people isn't their jobs? Total joke! I wouldn't be in a hurry to go down without Kids anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DaithiOG

This was my third and possibly last Picnic. The great fun we had on Friday and Sat night has been overshadowed by the experience of having our tent slashed in the 'quiet' campsite at 4 am on sat night. It was slashed just over my girlfriends head, and as I had woken to the sound I saw a hand reaching in and grabbed it. The scum legged it and was well gone by the time I got out ready to seriously damage him. After a walk around discovered that at least 4 tents close by had been robbed, and while the security guards were apologetic, they were sending patrols around after the robberies, not being proactive and having a visible presence beforehand.
    I know that there will always be bad apples, but there seemed to be a large amount of skangers this year. I didn't pay 240 euro to be at an event that is becoming more like oxegen, and unless I fork out even more to stay in the boutique camping next year, I don't think I will be staying there overnight again. It was only looking back that we realised the blade used to slash the tent had to have come withing a few inches of my girlfriends head. So its not so easy to forget about the incident when you think it could easily have ended in injury.
    Also the searching of people going into the main arena was ridiculous - particulary opening bottles of water and sniffing them. Not everyone wants to drink Heineken or overpriced rum. I certainly hope Heineken and Bacardi were paying all the wages of the security, because stopping other brands of alcohol/ getting into the area seemed to be their main focus.

DaithiOG wrote: »
    Also the searching of people going into the main arena was ridiculous - particulary opening bottles of water and sniffing them. Not everyone wants to drink Heineken or overpriced rum. I certainly hope Heineken and Bacardi were paying all the wages of the security, because stopping other brands of alcohol/ getting into the area seemed to be their main focus.

That was much more noticable this year, I think that's why they done away with the Eco cups this year too so people weren't bringing a drink in, no way was it a health n safety thing it was just greed to get us to buy their beer inside, if they had put the same effort into ensuring peoples safety everyone would be happy. It's plain to see EP heading in same direction as Oxegen so I think I won't be back either.

Sprouts wrote: »
    That was much more noticable this year, I think that's why they done away with the Eco cups this year too so people weren't bringing a drink in, no way was it a health n safety thing it was just greed to get us to buy their beer inside, if they had put the same effort into ensuring peoples safety everyone would be happy. It's plain to see EP heading in same direction as Oxegen so I think I won't be back either.

It has become more about profit than pleasing the punters the last few years. Cut backs with security in camp sites, stricter on alcohol searches going into arena, highly priced tickets. It all adds up to more profit for the organisers and once a festival's priority is profit over happy punters, the whole thing is ruined.

Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Without profit, there'd be no Electric Picnic. I'd say the organisers really struggled this year to break even!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I'd say the organisers really struggled this year to break even!
    Based on?

Without profit, there'd be no Electric Picnic. I'd say the organisers really struggled this year to break even!

30000 @ 240 euro a ticket = 7.2 million, how could they not make a profit?

I fully understand that to keep the festival going, they need to make a profit. But, when profit is the ultimate goal of the festival, punters lose out as can be seen from all the horror stories on here. Many of those horror stories could have been prevented if more money was spent on necessities such as ample security.

If someone pays €240 for a ticket, they should be able to trust that they can leave their tent unattended for a few hours without worrying if it is secure as they go and see the bands that they paid so dearly to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sprouts wrote: »
    30000 @ 240 euro a ticket = 7.2 million, how could they not make a profit?
    Definitely not close to that.

• Advertisement

Definitely not close to that.

Well I wasn't there on my own :rolleyes:

Advertisement