Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Sprouts wrote: »
    30000 @ 240 euro a ticket = 7.2 million, how could they not make a profit?

there wasn't 30,000 ticket sold.

and festivals generally need to sell about 85% of all available tickets to break even, everything after is profit.

i would imagine EP just about broke even, but definitely didn't do well profit-wise this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

Has anyone made an "official" complaint to EP organisers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭AnonMous

Ouravit wrote: »
    Has anyone made an "official" complaint to EP organisers ?

I did ya. Based it on my experience of this year down there.

Don't want to post the email I sent, but will PM it to you. Basically, it explains to them why I think it went down hill this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

AnonMous wrote: »
    I did ya. Based it on my experience of this year down there.

Don't want to post the email I sent, but will PM it to you. Basically, it explains to them why I think it went down hill this year.

Me too. Heard nothing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭AnonMous

quarryman wrote: »
    Me too. Heard nothing back.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything back to be honest.

They ask for feedback to make it look like they give a ****!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

In fairness, while they may not give individual responses, it has to be said that they do take feedback into consideration. Each year they've tried something different with organisation etc.

I remember a while ago (it was either two/three years) they had this absolutely atrocious security force that were absolute **** to the people who were there. Since the heaps of complaints they've changed the security providers.

That's just one small example of the changes they have implemented through feedback. To simply state that they don't listen to feedback because people haven't gotten an individual reply is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I made a video of my highlights from last weekend out of clips I have, hopefully it's cool to anyone wanting to remember some great bands and performances. In it is The National, LCD Soundsystem, Friendly Fires, Foals, Marc Almond, Crystal Castles, Crystal Swing, Roxy Music, Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip.

Here's a preview of it with the section on Foals.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

Hackysack wrote: »
    In fairness, while they may not give That's just one small example of the changes they have implemented through feedback.

I don't think that was as much a change made because of complaints as it was the fact that MCD took over and had agreements with Security companies already.

As for the profit if you consider that a majority of 'workers' as well as entertainers were paid by getting a ticket for the weekend, instead of monetary payments the % profit went up again. This is also a reason for the bad service a lot of people experienced as the 'security' were not trained at all let alone adequately in a lot of cases.

MCD are all about the money end of story and I’d say the way they look at it is whoever buys the ticket suits them as money is money.

Sure just look at the 20 or so Theatre Acts they let down 2 days before the event. They had trained and practised, paid for their transport and gear (tents etc) on the promise that they worked for 12 hours over the weekend and received a ticket free. They got a phone call 2 days before saying their services weren’t needed and wouldn’t be even getting their tickets. No real explanation given. Seemingly the organiser for Electric Picnic who deals with the Theatre groups has tendered his resignation because of the way the event is now being run......

My 9yr old nephews even thought this year wasn’t as good as last year because of all the drunks lol To me it’s getting like another Oxegen which would be sad. (This is coming from someone who goes to both each year J)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

They have said that they are taking feedback on board & security is their number one concern
    We'd like to say a special thank you to all who attended this year's festival, we hope you enjoyed the excursion into Picnic world and found your way home safely, albeit a bit damp no doubt.

We are sifting through the feedback and are taking all comments and suggestions on board. Of particular concern and regret is the increase in reported thefts. There will be debriefs with security and the Gardai to evaluate the situation this year, and we will be working very closely together to address this for next year. Rest assured this will be our number one priority for 2011.

We look forward to having you back next year.

From
    http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15727

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Connie_c28 wrote: »
    I don't think that was as much a change made because of complaints as it was the fact that MCD took over and had agreements with Security companies already.

As for the profit if you consider that a majority of 'workers' as well as entertainers were paid by getting a ticket for the weekend, instead of monetary payments the % profit went up again. This is also a reason for the bad service a lot of people experienced as the 'security' were not trained at all let alone adequately in a lot of cases.

MCD are all about the money end of story and I’d say the way they look at it is whoever buys the ticket suits them as money is money.

Sure just look at the 20 or so Theatre Acts they let down 2 days before the event. They had trained and practised, paid for their transport and gear (tents etc) on the promise that they worked for 12 hours over the weekend and received a ticket free. They got a phone call 2 days before saying their services weren’t needed and wouldn’t be even getting their tickets. No real explanation given. Seemingly the organiser for Electric Picnic who deals with the Theatre groups has tendered his resignation because of the way the event is now being run......

My 9yr old nephews even thought this year wasn’t as good as last year because of all the drunks lol To me it’s getting like another Oxegen which would be sad. (This is coming from someone who goes to both each year J)

jaysus will you get your facts straight at least before throwing this sh*t around. I’m as critical as anybody but enough of the hearsay…

Its not run by MCD - so first of all your wrong on that. Then clearly, they don't use MCD's security either. Do a bit of research on who it’s actually run by.

Regarding profit etc…the figures people throw around and the rumours they start are hilarious. IE “30,000 x 240 = 7,200,000” etc…

That may be true if they sold 30,000 tickets – they didn’t.
    That may be true if everyone paid 240 for a ticket – they didn’t, early birds etc.

Have you looked at their financial statements? No. Do you know how much they shelled out for acts, installations, infrastructure, techies, security, rent for Stradbally, charitable donations (they support a good few)? No.

So how can you comment about profits etc? The speculation is hilarious.

There’s little doubt that the festival may have been a little aversely affected from the merger with Festival Republic a few years ago. The security thing a few years ago was a problem, but like someone else said, it seemed to have been addressed.

The boutique feeling has dwindled a bit. My own feeling is if they policed the perimeter better, it would improve the situation immeasurably regarding thefts and the skanger element. It seems very easy to sneak into. The rest I cant complain about much, I personally had another great year.

I did hear about the fiasco with the stage acts, sounded very messy and shi**y for those folks and seemed to reflect badly on the organisers. I could say what I heard happened but I’d only be …speculating :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Its not run by MCD - so first of all your wrong on that. Then clearly, they don't use MCD's security either. Do a bit of research on who it’s actually run by.

MCD do have an interest in the Electric Picnic. I don't know if you could say they 'run' it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I got a response to my email about security in the campsites today. I'm impressed at how quickly they got back to me, to be honest. I'd say that they have a lot to sift through!
    Thanks for the email and feedback. The increase in thefts is a very serious concern for us at the moment. We'll be having extensive debriefs with the security firms and gardai to see how we can increase safety measures next year to prevent fence jumpers, and particularly reduce the reports of robberies.

We hope you have a change of mind next year and so make it back.

Thanks again for your feedback.

MCD do have an interest in the Electric Picnic. I don't know if you could say they 'run' it though.

Yup

Pod are partners in EP with Festival Republic.

Festival Republic were bought by Livenation and MCD a few years back as far as I remember.

So clearly, to say EP is run by MCD is...incorrect. Yes they have an interest indirectly...but they don't run it!

We'd probably all prefer if MCD weren't involved at all but if I remember correctly Festival Republic may have saved the festival from going belly up a few years back? There was a lot of drama and conjecture at the time about tax bills forcing Pod to shut it down etc...

I wish I could remember stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

jaysus will you get your facts straight at least before throwing this sh*t around. I’m as critical as anybody but enough of the hearsay…

Regarding profit etc…the figures people throw around and the rumours they start are hilarious. IE “30,000 x 240 = 7,200,000” etc…

:pac:

I didn't quote figures as for the MCD and security, I was speaking to a fella I know who was working on the security and he said he has been doing it the last few years since MCD took over......apologies if I was wrong but I presumed he knows who he works for? He also told me he would be off soon (this was at about 11) and the volunteers would be on duty for the night, and he was near the Jimi Hendrix campsite.... Bad form in my opinion to have volunteers as security at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yup

Pod are partners in EP with Festival Republic.

Festival Republic were bought by Livenation and MCD a few years back as far as I remember.

So clearly, to say EP is run by MCD is...incorrect. Yes they have an interest indirectly...but they don't run it!

We'd probably all prefer if MCD weren't involved at all but if I remember correctly Festival Republic may have saved the festival from going belly up a few years back? There was a lot of drama and conjecture at the time about tax bills forcing Pod to shut it down etc...

I wish I could remember stuff.

I know that last summer the same company did security for EP and the big MCD concerts in the Marquee. So they definitely have a hand in the running of a very important aspect of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I think the problem with security this year was that there were too many different companies working at it. I was in crew camping for the week leading up to the festival and there were at least 3 different security companies that came over the week and this was just by Thursday. I think more Irish guys were to arrive on Friday to work.

One complaint that I had was that the sound was messed up for a lot of the stages. WAY too much bass at some stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

That may be true if they sold 30,000 tickets – they didn’t.
    That may be true if everyone paid 240 for a ticket – they didn’t, early birds etc.

Have you looked at their financial statements? No. Do you know how much they shelled out for acts, installations, infrastructure, techies, security, rent for Stradbally, charitable donations (they support a good few)? No.

So how can you comment about profits etc? The speculation is hilarious.

There’s little doubt that the festival may have been a little aversely affected from the merger with Festival Republic a few years ago. The security thing a few years ago was a problem, but like someone else said, it seemed to have been addressed.

The boutique feeling has dwindled a bit. My own feeling is if they policed the perimeter better, it would improve the situation immeasurably regarding thefts and the skanger element. It seems very easy to sneak into. The rest I cant complain about much, I personally had another great year.

I did hear about the fiasco with the stage acts, sounded very messy and shi**y for those folks and seemed to reflect badly on the organisers. I could say what I heard happened but I’d only be …speculating :pac:

You think 25000 to 30000 that were there got early bird tickets? They bloody didn't, anyone we came across paid full whack, EP charged €240 a ticket, €5 a pint, €60 for a tray of beer €6 for a burger/bap etc they must have made money. Even if they made a profit or not they could have made the safety of campers a priority instead of focusing security on the prevention of taking alcohol into the main arena from the campsite.

You think 25000 to 30000 that were there got early bird tickets? They bloody didn't, anyone we came across paid full whack, EP charged €240 a ticket, €5 a pint, €60 for a tray of beer €6 for a burger/bap etc they must have made money. Even if they made a profit or not they could have made the safety of campers a priority instead of focusing security on the prevention of taking alcohol into the main arena from the campsite.

where did I say "25,000-30,000 that were there got early bird tickets"????

FFS! read back what I said for the love of god :rolleyes:

lordgoat wrote: »
    I know that last summer the same company did security for EP and the big MCD concerts in the Marquee. So they definitely have a hand in the running of a very important aspect of the festival.

yes (assuming you're correct)...last summer. And you don't know for example if it was the same company who did Oxegen, I'd imagine they're more hardcore, I think they'd need to be anyway.

what about this summer? And what about discussing things in this thread that we actually know are true? Opinions are fine, but conjecture on this and that (which is the point i'm trying to make above) is annoying and misleading.

we're all agreed security needs to be tightened up cuz in fairness they were pleasant enough to deal with, of what I experienced anyway. But that aint gonna stop you getting robbed/intimidated.

As I said before the perimeter situation seems to be the big problem. Do a good job on that on your problem is pretty well sorted, very few skangers can afford to pay EP money just to try to rob it all back...

I didn't quote figures as for the MCD and security, I was speaking to a fella I know who was working on the security and he said he has been doing it the last few years since MCD took over......apologies if I was wrong but I presumed he knows who he works for? He also told me he would be off soon (this was at about 11) and the volunteers would be on duty for the night, and he was near the Jimi Hendrix campsite.... Bad form in my opinion to have volunteers as security at all.

sorry if u misunderstood me but i didn't say you quoted figures. I commented on your MCD comments and wanted to point out that they don't "run Electric Picnic". You can tell your friend that too!

I then went on to make a general comment about the thread and people speculating about profits and figures. Please...read the posts

• Advertisement

MCD never "took over" EP.

MCD part-own Festival Republic (along with Live Nation), which bought into EP in 2009, but had no on-the-ground running of the festival that year.

i don't know what involvement they had this year on the ground, but POD are still in charge of it, as they have been since 2004.

so either he doesn't know who he works for, or he's misleading you.
    either way, MCD don't employ him.

he clearly didn't say 25k-30k paid early bird prices.

EP don't get any money from beer sales.

EP don't get any money from food sales.

agree with the security being awful though, of course, Heineken would demand that security are strict on letting people in with booze as that cuts into their profits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

MCD part-own Festival Republic (along with Live Nation), which bought into EP in 2009, but had no on-the-ground running of the festival that year.

I saw several Festival Republic people at 2009 (they had t-shirts identifying them as such) co-ordinating diggers, woodchip etc. Couldn't tell you the extent of their involvement but they were definitely there and had some hand in the running. I believe the statement that confused people was that Festival Republic had no involvement in booking acts for EP 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

Toast wrote: »
    I saw several Festival Republic people at 2009 (they had t-shirts identifying them as such) co-ordinating diggers, woodchip etc. Couldn't tell you the extent of their involvement but they were definitely there and had some hand in the running. I believe the statement that confused people was that Festival Republic had no involvement in booking acts for EP 2009.

I came down late on friday last year and got a festival republic wrist band so they definitely are involved in the running of the festval.

I think the EP horse has bolted. There are plenty of smaller festivals around the country that will capture that vibe again. EP is just another cash cow and it would seem from the way the event is being run that the people who were in it partially for the love of the event have little or no input anymore. You can't even compare the festival to what it was in 2006 (the first one i went to).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

aridal wrote: »
    Hiya this is Lauren the singer using my dads internet for a second. Thank you for that comment! The picnic is really fun! I liked my song but its not that good really!

I know a lot of people who disagree ;)
    As for Sziget, my flat mate went two years ago and rented an apartment in Budapest for it. Might be worth looking into that instead of camping if you are worried about the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

i heard on the radio that they might be moving oxegen to the curragh,if they done that wit ep,we wouldnt get scumbags in cause they could get the army to patrol or do security and then there wouldnt be much robbing going on and on the early bid tickets ppl have bought,me and my gf bought them cause we missed 09s ep

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

littleman wrote: »
    i heard on the radio that they might be moving oxegen to the curragh,if they done that wit ep,we wouldnt get scumbags in cause they could get the army to patrol or do security and then there wouldnt be much robbing going on and on the early bid tickets ppl have bought,me and my gf bought them cause we missed 09s ep

They will not have the Army doing security for festivals man. I really hope that was a joke!

stoneruile wrote: »
    They will not have the Army doing security for festivals man. I really hope that was a joke!

i never said that they would have the army doing it,i was suggesting that they could use them for security since it would be on there land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

littleman wrote: »

But one of the best things about Electric Picnic is it's location? The Body and Soul area, Trenchtown, Salty Dog and Neutronix (rave in the forest) areas just would not work on flat ground like the curragh........ Would completely ruin the festival and will never happen.

Incidentally, just to say, I don't doubt people did get robbed at EP this year, but I was there and Did'nt get anything stolen, Did'nt meet any 'scumbags' and had a fantastic time - Leftfield, Robyn and the RTE Concert Orchestra being highlights. Friend of mine found an iphone Sat night, and returned it to the owner who didn't even realise he had lost it and Karma was returned on the Sunday when the same friend lost her own phone, and got it back 30mins later. Met some sound, honest people and had a great laugh with them.......

People only post when bad things happen to them, so this thread is probably misrepresenting the experience of the vast majority of people that were at EP this year. I had a ball, and I'm sure most people reading this did too, they just can't be bothered to post about it!!

• Advertisement

But one of the best things about Electric Picnic is it's location? The Body and Soul area, Trenchtown, Salty Dog and Neutronix (rave in the forest) areas just would not work on flat ground like the curragh........ Would completely ruin the festival and will never happen.

Incidentally, just to say, I don't doubt people did get robbed at EP this year, but I was there and Did'nt get anything stolen, Did'nt meet any 'scumbags' and had a fantastic time - Leftfield, Robyn and the RTE Concert Orchestra being highlights. Friend of mine found an iphone Sat night, and returned it to the owner who didn't even realise he had lost it and Karma was returned on the Sunday when the same friend lost her own phone, and got it back 30mins later. Met some sound, honest people and had a great laugh with them.......

People only post when bad things happen to them, so this thread is probably misrepresenting the experience of the vast majority of people that were at EP this year. I had a ball, and I'm sure most people reading this did too, they just can't be bothered to post about it!!

i agree with you,i had a blast and so did my gf bar the weather sunday night,which was sooo annoying,great ppl around me,got talkin to them from the time i got there,only seen dodgy looking ppl monday moring while packing up my stuff while there was a gap in the weather

Advertisement