Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

How long do tickets for this usually last? Cause i wanna go this year just im bit skint till bout middle/end of April.

You'll be grand, they didnt sell out until the week of EP last year. And even in years that it sold out earlier, they'd still have tickets in April.

I'm pretty happy with the line-up so far. There will be way more still to be announced over the next few months, so for the first announcement I'm quite impressed. A lot of my friends dont seem to bothered about going this year though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TommoD

Rubbish line-up. Not worth half the ticket price. If this was the line-up anywhere else in Europe it would cost a €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If you ask me they're charging for stuff money can't buy, and didn't pay for - like that atmosphere, buzz and decent people. I know they put extra into stuff you'd hardly notice or take for granted but still, 250 is till a bit much for what you're getting.

Yeah, that's the usual justification, and I agree to an extent, especially when the only comparable music festival in this country is Oxegen. Personally speaking, EP has its charm, and if I happen to have enough finances come September I'd definitely consider going. But if you're more into seeing music than side events, I think you can do better abroad. EP for me is more of a drinking holiday and catch a band here or there.

The one thing I miss most about EP is the food, festival food in other countries is complete garbage. One thing I will certainly not miss is this ridiculous 10pm closing of the bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

JJ wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Mumford & Sons are doing Oxegen and EP? Usually bands aren't allowed to do two big festivals in the same country in the same summer.

That sort of carry on by promoters seems to have died down a bit. Florence and the Machine played both last year I believe.

Roxy Music
    LCD Soundsystem
    The National
    Gil Scott-Heron
    Modest Mouse
    Seasick Steve
    Hot Chip
    Fever Ray
    Beach House
    Jonsi
    Caribou
    Redneck Manifesto

Some good bands there but I'm not sure if I'll go this year just from an 'I'm getting old' point of view. ATP is more to my liking these days what with beds and all.

I don't agree though that they need to bring in a 'big name' for EP. What do ye want Kings of Leon? Bah! Get to Oxygen so. EP is supposed to deliver quality music not just one or two big names of the day that you won't get to hear anyway because some 19 year old will have puked all over you and then set you on fire.

Also, was thinking, anyone think Gorillaz might be added? Have no idea what they/it would be like live, anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I don't agree though that they need to bring in a 'big name' for EP. What do ye want Kings of Leon? Bah! Get to Oxygen so. EP is supposed to deliver quality music not just one or two big names of the day that you won't get to hear anyway because some 19 year old will have puked all over you and then set you on fire.

What a twatty attitude. Why does 'big name' immediately correlate with a 19 year old puking on you and then setting you on fire ? And why does it have to be Kings of Leon ? You posted a number of big names in your list of good bands (Hot Chip, Roxy Music, LCD Soundsystem), and many big names have played Electric Picnic in the past.

Big names and quality music are not mutually exclusive. Pixies, David Bowie, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, 2 Many Djs, Prodigy, Radiohead...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Also, was thinking, anyone think Gorillaz might be added? Have no idea what they/it would be like live, anyone know?

Apparently they're quite good. Lots of silhouettes, animations and the usual great tracks.

Tusky wrote: »
    What a twatty attitude. Why does 'big name' immediately correlate with a 19 year old puking on you and then setting you on fire ? And why does it have to be Kings of Leon ? You posted a number of big names in your list of good bands, and many big names have played Electric Picnic in the past.

Big names and quality music are not mutually exclusive.

I posted Kings of Leon because someone had mentioned them. Of course I know big names and quality music are not mutually exclusive.

My point is that there's people on here bitching and moaning that they're aren't big enough names at the Picnic as if that means it can't be good. And to them I say - if you want your festival full of big names and you're not interested in anything else then get to Oxygen.

If that's a twatty attitude then so be it.

I posted Kings of Leon because someone had mentioned them. Of course I know big names and quality music are not mutually exclusive.

My point is that there's people on here bitching and moaning that they're aren't big enough names at the Picnic as if that means it can't be good. And to them I say - if you want your festival full of big names and you're not interested in anything else then get to Oxygen.

If that's a twatty attitude then so be it.

But I dont want to go to Oxegen, because its a horrible festival. As Ive said, Ive been to Electric Picnic every year and will probably end up going this year. I just think its a poor lineup when compared to the ticket price. They either need to pull out some high quality big names, or seriously increase the amount of smaller (but still quality) acts.

I thought 2007 hit the mark with "big" names: Bjork, Beastie Boys and The Chemical Brothers. Then you had Primal Scream, The Stooges and LCD Soundsystem aswell.

It's probably still subjective though as I would be interested in all those acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭endac1

More names here: http://www.state.ie/2010/03/news/electric-picnic-2010-lineup/

Field Music, The Horrors, Low Anthem, etc.

Have to agree about the lack of "big" names but I reckon there's another couple of announcements to come down the line so you never know.

Meanwhile I'll have to make do with Primavera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Seamonster

I had been going to EP since the very beginning but every year they have been getting progressively worse and more "Oxegen". They try to market themselves as a peace-loving, good vibe festival but that´s just because they are going for a particular demographic who they think will spend more money because it´s a nicer vibe with less skobes. OK, the food is alright but it´s just another Oxegen with less bands now. 250 Euro is laughable too. A complete rip-off, especially when you consider how much festivals are in other parts of Europe. I stopped going to Irish festivals 2 years ago because of the rain, early bar closing times (Sickening to find a bar closed at 10pm), lack of transport to and from, shag all toilets, no proper amenities, the list goes on.

Now, for 250 Euro you can fly to Barcelona, get your ticket for Primavera which has an incredible line-up, get some proper sun and proper bar opening times and just have a great time. All for the same price of 3 crappy, rainy days in the middle of nowhere.

I thought 2007 hit the mark with "big" names: Bjork, Beastie Boys and The Chemical Brothers. Then you had Primal Scream, The Stooges and LCD Soundsystem aswell.

It's probably still subjective though as I would be interested in all those acts.

Yeah, youve hit the nail on the head there. Big yet alternative names, and not the type (apart from maybe Chemical Brothers) that you would see at Oxegen. 2007 was probably the best lineup overall. This year just seems lacking, but who knows, there may be some big announcements in the coming weeks.
    Seamonster wrote: »
    . OK, the food is alright but it´s just another Oxegen with less bands now. 250 Euro is laughable too.

Its far from Oxegen...
    A complete rip-off, especially when you consider how much festivals are in other parts of Europe.

Agreed.
    3 crappy, rainy days in the middle of nowhere.

The site of Electric Picnic is beautiful yet still relatively close to Dublin, so dont know what you are talking about there. Also, the weather has generally been v.good for Picnic. Ive been to it every year and its never rained on all 3 days. Crappy ? Its the best weekend of the year in my opinion.

But I dont want to go to Oxegen, because its a horrible festival.

What a twatty attitude. ;)
    Tusky wrote:
    As Ive said, Ive been to Electric Picnic every year and will probably end up going this year. I just think its a poor lineup when compared to the ticket price. They either need to pull out some high quality big names, or seriously increase the amount of smaller (but still quality) acts.

Since this is only the first day of lineup announcements I'd hope there will be more quality acts announced. Can't argue with you about the price though, it is too steep compared to what you can get elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TommoD

Seamonster wrote: »
    Now, for 250 Euro you can fly to Barcelona, get your ticket for Primavera which has an incredible line-up, get some proper sun and proper bar opening times and just have a great time. All for the same price of 3 crappy, rainy days in the middle of nowhere.
    Damn Right^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

What a twatty attitude. Why does 'big name' immediately correlate with a 19 year old puking on you and then setting you on fire ? And why does it have to be Kings of Leon ? You posted a number of big names in your list of good bands (Hot Chip, Roxy Music, LCD Soundsystem), and many big names have played Electric Picnic in the past.

Big names and quality music are not mutually exclusive. Pixies, David Bowie, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, 2 Many Djs, Prodigy, Radiohead...etc.

That's fine...if Picnic booked Radiohead or Bowie it would be great. but you can say goodbye to the likes of Fever Ray, Gil Scott Heron and and Seasick Steve. Simply because they do not have a bottomless pit of money to spend on bands.

I think they have got it spot on this year. Spent money on 'big' artists such as Massive Attack, LCD and Hotchip and invested money wisely in smaller bands to appeal to a greater base of fans. There is something for everyone in this line up and I'd much prefer that than a line up with one Radiohead and 150 much lessor bands.

catch--22 wrote: »
    That's fine...if Picnic booked Radiohead or Bowie it would be great. but you can say goodbye to the likes of Fever Ray, Gil Scott Heron and and Seasick Steve. Simply because they do not have a bottomless pit of money to spend on bands.

I think they have got it spot on this year. Spent money on 'big' artists such as Massive Attack, LCD and Hotchip and invested money wisely in smaller bands to appeal to a greater base of fans. There is something for everyone in this line up and I'd much prefer that than a line up with one Radiohead and 150 much lessor bands.

Ok, maybe Radiohead was a bad suggestion. But they have booked Chemical Brothers and Prodigy in the past, so its not crazy to suggest that they should be looking to book names of that ilk again. I know they dont have bottomless pits of money but when you look at the lineups that others festivals manage while charging significantly less for tickets AND maintaining a feel good alternative atmosphere, then it begs certain questions.

250 euro x 35,0000 is a lot of money - and thats just from ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Ok, maybe Radiohead was a bad suggestion. But they have booked Chemical Brothers and Prodigy in the past. So its not crazy to suggest that they should be looking to book names of that ilk again. I know they dont have bottomless pits of money but when you look at the lineups that others festivals manage while charging significantly less for tickets AND maintaining a feel good alternative atmosphere, then it begs certain questions.

Maybe, a lot also depends on what bands are on tour at the time and what they could get even if they wanted to. Maybe Chemical Brothers didn't want to play Picnic again (you might remember their last set)... there could be many reasons.

As regards prices - yes they are high. But picnic does spend a lot on the extras, it has a smaller crowd than most and also running costs in Ireland are considerably higher than anywhere on the Continent (before I get jumped on...yes, even those factors prob don't add up to quite the higher price).

But make the choice; for €250 plus spending money you can go to a European festival! So go.....they are worth the experience. Last year I went to Sonar (and I'm going back), but I'll still be going to Picnic. The line up really appeals to me and I simply love the weekend as a whole.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Much happier with the line up than last years one. Miles better. I'll hold out for a ticket til i have some more funds but i think i may have my EP love back.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭endac1

Holy Crap! There's 350000 people this year! ;)

While its nice to have a big name headliner, Bjork/Sigur Ros in previous years, I'm content with the line-up so far. I know its cliched at this stage but it is about more than the headliners.

I've always felt Oxegen was just an excuse for mcd to rent out a big field cram as many stages and acts in there for the weekend and reap the rewards, regardless of the punter experience. EP has always been a more comfortable setting and I've always had a happier weekend there.

I point to the simple example of places to sit, Oxegen has you sit on wood chippings on mud whereas the Picnic has several nice areas in the main arena to chill out, eat some food and drink some beers away from the noise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 peelaaa

Saw them in olympia during 1st album, they played behind a screen the whole time. Could only see silhouettes....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

This is an excellent lineup.

-->> You've got the 'big names' if you want them: Massive Attack, The National, Hot Chip.

--> You've got the alternative names that you can discover: Gil Scott-Heron
    Fever Ray

--> You've got a string Irish representation: Redneck Manifesto, The Frames

--> You;ve got some old school: Roxy Music

-->You've got a Choice Music Prize winner: Adrian Crowley

--> You've got the alternative to Oxegen you want.

+ you've got all the extras the Picnic always has. (a little less random stuff as last year guys.. come on let's get the EP randomness back)

Well done folks. got an early bird but still worth €250. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Generally impressed by the lineup - and more to be announced.

Can't pick out the usual "novelty" act though - Bring back Chic!! They are on the Bestival Lineup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Generally impressed by the lineup - and more to be announced.

Can't pick out the usual "novelty" act though - Bring back Chic!! They are on the Bestival Lineup

As I missed them I would love to see them again but would be a bit stale with Massive Attack, LCD Soundsystem etc having played before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Splainc wrote: »
    As I missed them I would love to see them again but would be a bit stale with Massive Attack, LCD Soundsystem etc having played before

Playing Dublin and Cork in May - so could be a case of not announcing until they have played?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Can't really remember from the last few years, are there ever big names announced after the first announcement? Pixies would make me a lot happier, little bit weak in the day-time acts at the moment IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Can't really remember from the last few years, are there ever big names announced after the first announcement? Pixies would make me a lot happier, little bit weak in the day-time acts at the moment IMO.

Brian Wilson and Royksopp were major add-ons last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Would like to see them too but won't get my hopes up.
    There was a gig of theirs on the Q music channel the other night. It was alright. The band kept a low profile and there was just a screen above them with a bit of animation. Not the same as the show they put on at the MTV awards. A full set like that would be class.

That show is on again Friday night on Q at 10pm, if your interested.
    It's an old show, so no songs from new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oLollyo

I'm defo going to see Modest Mouse again and catch The National!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

awaiting some Dubstep and Techno acts.

I'd like a bit of madness at this festival.

Advertisement