Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic 2010 - All discussion no ticket sales/swaps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Splainc wrote: »
    Brian Wilson and Royksopp were major add-ons last year

There's hope so. Seem to remember Booka Shade were announced late in 2008 too. Anyone else big tipped to be added?

I'm assuming the headliners of the 2 big stages will be will be Massive Attack, Leftfield and Modest Mouse, LCD Soundsystem, The Frames, and maybe Hot Chip?

Edit, I think vaguely know you you from the EP forums...Same moniker over there minus the electro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Any chance of Passion Pit playing again? Please?

And a suprise Chemical Brothers announcement..

Oh and throw a couple of DJ's in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Promising enough line up I think...

If they added Bat for Lashes and British Sea Power I'd be very happy :D

Won't be buying a ticket just yet, will be interesting to see who's added. Hope tickets don't sell out soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

Poor enough line-up for the price to be honest, don't think I'll be tempted unless some eye-catching names are added in the coming months or I pick up a cheap ticket near the event.

I haven't been for a few years because it simply hasn't been worth it. Drop the price and add another campsite or try and bring in better names.

Like others have said, much better value abroad.

For 250e 2 years ago I got return flights to Brussels for Rock Werchter, free train travel to Leuven, free bus to the site and saw Radiohead, Neil Young, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, The Verve, Chemical Brothers, Digitalism, Hot Chip, Moby, Jay-Z, Sigur Ros, Raconteurs, KOL, Ben Harper, REM and a raft of other top names.

Went to Benicassim for a similar price the same summer and they had some amazing names too (Leonard Cohen!!) and you're by the sea.

It's Sziget this year, the line-up looks decent already, good mix of genres - 170e for a ticket, flights were 130e.

Electric Picnic just can't compete at the moment, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Weakest line-up I've ever seen at the Picnic. A lot of great ''folksy'' acts, but nothing that would justify the ticket price. Of the main acts, two are hasbeens (roxy are no madness) - then you have John Lydon's new outfit, after an APPALLING show with the pistols the year before.

My biggest gripe is the complete neglect of the electronic music element. They've done away with the bodytonic tent, splitting stuff between the Cosby stage and other smaller places. Now we've no dance headliners and two of the cheapest, blandest electro acts around (Booka Shade and The Bloody Beetroots) - they should do away with the bloody Frames in terms of attracting the ''wrong crowd''.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

There's hope so. Seem to remember Booka Shade were announced late in 2008 too. Anyone else big tipped to be added?

I'm assuming the headliners of the 2 big stages will be will be Massive Attack, Leftfield and Modest Mouse, LCD Soundsystem, The Frames, and maybe Hot Chip?

Edit, I think vaguely know you you from the EP forums...Same moniker over there minus the electro.

That be me alright.

Maybe one more biggish band but not sure to be honest.

you know Booka Shade are playing this year too yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

themucaro wrote: »
    P

For 250e 2 years ago I got return flights to Brussels for Rock Werchter, free train travel to Leuven, free bus to the site and saw Radiohead, Neil Young, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, The Verve, Chemical Brothers, Digitalism, Hot Chip, Moby, Jay-Z, Sigur Ros, Raconteurs, KOL, Ben Harper, REM and a raft of other top names.

That's amazing value for money allright.

Why is everything so expensive in Ireland? (rhetorical question)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

lily4 wrote: »
    That's amazing value for money allright.

Why is everything so expensive in Ireland? (rhetorical question)

Yep Pearl Jam and Arcade Fire playing the same night this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

It's Sziget this year, the line-up looks decent already, good mix of genres - 170e for a ticket, flights were 130e.

Sziget is massive, two big for me. There's no comparison between Sziget and Electric Picnic, but you can compare it to oxegen, given they both of them are massive in numbers, pull in massive names etc....

The only festival on the continent similar to electric picnic is Dour, yet EP trumps that as Dour has absolutely nothing else bar the tents. I assume Sziget offers little else bar the music too....

OZORA or Melt! for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    then you have John Lydon's new outfit, after an APPALLING show with the pistols the year before.

New outfit? Yeah about 30 years ago they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Are they strict on I.D for the Electric Picnic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

Sziget is massive, two big for me. There's no comparison between Sziget and Electric Picnic, but you can compare it to oxegen, given they both of them are massive in numbers, pull in massive names etc....

The only festival on the continent similar to electric picnic is Dour, yet EP trumps that as Dour has absolutely nothing else bar the tents. I assume Sziget offers little else bar the music too....

OZORA or Melt! for me

You presume wrong! :P

"In addition to music, the festival offers a plethora of other activities including cinema, dance, theatre, tattooing, Internet access, volleyball, tennis, football, bungee jumping and a life-sized foosball."

And you can head into the city and sight-see as it's smack bang in the middle of Budapest.

I'm not comparing the two festivals, but comparing the value on offer for 250e across the board. And EP is not worth 250e, not for me, and for a lot of other people this year I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'm actually sad now after seeing that EP line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone know if the Arcadia stage is at EP this year?

It was unreal last year. Worth the ticketprice itself !

You presume wrong! :P

"In addition to music, the festival offers a plethora of other activities including cinema, dance, theatre, tattooing, Internet access, volleyball, tennis, football, bungee jumping and a life-sized foosball."

wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

rarnes1 wrote: »

Not booked yet. They lost a fair bit of money last year on their trip and are undecided yet if they are coming back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

catch--22 wrote: »
    Not booked yet. They lost a fair bit of money last year on their trip and are undecided yet if they are coming back!

Serious? Have you a link on that?

That's disappointing if true :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Serious? Have you a link on that?

That's disappointing if true :(

You can reach them here:

http://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/

Contact page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Potentially no Arcadia (the highlight for me last year) and no bodytonic tent?!?! What? Seriously disappointed at this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

According to this they are coming back:
    http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14173

Down the end by the Stradbelly Laughs paragraph, they mention it's coming back. Hope so, it was class.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    no bodytonic tent?!?! What? Seriously disappointed at this :(

The whole bodytonic issue seems a bit unclear. Despite it being a huge hit over the years, it was relegated to the damn campsite in 2008, yet still put on a great show with some class names, Modeselektor / Robert Hood / Benga etc, but then it was gotten rid of altogether. I doubt it was a financial decision as bodytonic wouldnt have demanded much off them except the physical space. I once asked a person who was fairly close to bodytonic and his explanation was that the organisers wanted a bit more of a family vibe, thus the rationale for ridding the festival of pumping techno at 3am.... Ill be very, very surprised if they make a return

It was badly missed last year. There was no madness in the air whatsoever last year. Im all for the chillout zones like the Body & Soul, but there's no harm in some quality house or techno.... none of which have appeared on the line-up yet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No more comparison on price/value with other festivals please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

As regards prices - yes they are high. But picnic does spend a lot on the extras,

i guess this is part of the reason why many people don't think the lineup has been very good recently.

more and more art-y type things, less of a wow factor with the lineup.

i'm reasonably happy with the lineup so far, and there'll be plenty of other acts announced that i'll like.
    but tbh, i couldn't give a **** about most of the other stuff there, and i'd much rather they either lowered the ticket price, which is ridiculous, or else spent the money on bands or acts, instead of cookery classes and David McWilliams talking about politics and the economy....

Bestival is on the week after with many of the acts announced for EP, plus loads more, so hopefully we get some of them, especially some of the more electronic acts:
    http://www.bestival.net/artists/2010-lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why ban price comparisons? It's a hugely valid issue.

Think I'll be giving it a miss for the first time this year. The line-ups have become steadily worse, the festival has been moving away from boutique to Oxegen for 20-somethings and €240 for a ticket is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The whole bodytonic issue seems a bit unclear. Despite it being a huge hit over the years, it was relegated to the damn campsite in 2008, yet still put on a great show with some class names, Modeselektor / Robert Hood / Benga etc, but then it was gotten rid of altogether. I doubt it was a financial decision as bodytonic wouldnt have demanded much off them except the physical space. I once asked a person who was fairly close to bodytonic and his explanation was that the organisers wanted a bit more of a family vibe, thus the rationale for ridding the festival of pumping techno at 3am.... Ill be very, very surprised if they make a return

It was badly missed last year. There was no madness in the air whatsoever last year. Im all for the chillout zones like the Body & Soul, but there's no harm in some quality house or techno.... none of which have appeared on the line-up yet!

Unusual, considering it has always been an outlet for people who are into electronic music. I would say a large portion of their audience are there for dance music. Family vibe ? please... :rolleyes: I'm all for people being able to bring their families, and for their to be activities for those families, but that should never be the focus of a festival.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    No more comparison on price/value with other festivals please.

Very strange decision lordgoat. The price of the festival is surely relevant to the discussion. The guy on the last page went a bit overboard with it, but banning it completely from the thread ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Why ban price comparisons? It's a hugely valid issue.

Think I'll be giving it a miss for the first time this year. The line-ups have become steadily worse, the festival has been moving away from boutique to Oxegen for 20-somethings and €240 for a ticket is too much.

Simple. If you want to start a thread over in consumer affairs and compare whatever festivals you want by all means do it. If you want to talk about EP the music, what you think of the line up if you're going stay here. This thread is not going to derail into a free for all of whingers saying "oh but look at what i got for my E200 it's so much better" as this is not the thread for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

really hope arcadia comes back too, it was amazing last yr, i remember seeing during the day not having a clue what it was, came back that night and stayed for hours.blown away.

also the inflatable church was hilarious.

for me electric picnic is so much more than the acts but i do agree the lineup is a lacking a bit for me this year.as far as i remember there was a second round of big acts announced last yr, hopefully it improves then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Bodytonic decided to leave EP after 2008, EP didn't get rid of them.
    apparently they were annoyed with how the organisers were treating them, and halved their budget compared to the previous year, so decided not to bother anymore....
    the fact that the 515 lads were in bed with POD at the time probably didn't help matters either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Reckon thats one of the best lineups theyve had.

Agree with previous posters that not being able to talk about the price is bizarre and makes no sense.

Anyway I'll be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Tusky wrote: »
    I've been to Electric Picnic ever year and I always have a fantastic time, regardless of the lineup. But for 250 euro, I expect more big names. I know it cant compete with Oxegen which has a bigger budget. I also understand that a significant portion of EPs budget goes on non-music things, and I'm fine with that.

However, you are really clutching at straws with your list of 'big names' there. While I like Crystal Castles, they are hardly a big name. They have one album and might I add that they were awful last year. The only truly big names are Leftfield, Roxy Music, Hot Chip, Lcd, Modest Mouse and Massive Attack. Jonsi on his own doesnt count as a big name in my books.

The €250 is a bit steep alright but i think this line up is not to bad. what i'm more worried about is the days and times the put certain bands on and where they put them on. There have been some criminal time slots in recent years.
    Christy moore in that small tent when clearly the whole of EP wanted to see him.
    Modest mouse in a small tent?
    hot chip on at 6 on friday when as always a lot of people had difficulty with traffic getting in and set up on time.
    Gossip were on the sunday on the main stage two years ago i think and everyone is banjaxxed by then.....same applies
    to basement jaxx last year

Surely to god leftfield will be on last on the friday or saturday on the main stage.

Advertisement