Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving To Dublin

Options
  • 25-12-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi im driving to dublin in the morning at 6 from mullingar! Am i mad to do this or should the roads be ok???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

I don't think roads will be gritted and I would not travel although the N/M4 may well be fine, the main issue may be your route before and after N/M4

There is going to be pockets of black for a couple days and maybe even longer in sheltered areas that see no sun

kaltz wrote: »
    Roads are like glass here in Mullingar. Never seen anything like this before. Lumps of ice on the car.
    In the Happy Christmas freeze discussion thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

its starting to thaw out tho but drive is like an ice rink! yeh im going to leopardstown from mullingar

If the main road is gritted then it'll probably be fine, but if not, then yes I think madness.
    It could be an ice rink with black ice in leopardstown like the drive where even 10mph is too fast. There will be no thaw of ice on the ground. Mark my words!

In conditions like this, I regularly test the conditions by braking (in a safe place, straight bit of road, no one behind) The rest of the family look at me in disgust because most of the time the road is fine and they get thrown forward, but when they hear the wheels lock up (old car pre abs) then they see the wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    its starting to thaw out tho but drive is like an ice rink! yeh im going to leopardstown from mullingar

Mate its icing over badly out there again.

Although racing should go ahead, i actually wouldnt be 100% confident.

It is lethal out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

drove down to day, really bad in places, roads off the main roads are the worst ive seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Another lethal night on the roads, yet Met Eireann say Sunday night will be icy.
    What the...........
    Spent 3 days in Galway witha broken wrist(from Cork) and all i can say is if that was Dublin a state of national emergency would be called and rightly so
    The place was and pbly still is an ice rink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

give your self alot of extra time anyway... motorways should be salted ... but its irelansd so dont bank on it!! take it easy anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mickeyie05 wrote: »

It's not thawing out up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

It is worth having a look at the motoring section. The conditions of the roads are being discussed there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055779023

• Advertisement
Advertisement