Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help dress me!

• 25-12-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Okay, I'm really hoping you guys can help me! I really want some new clothes, but I have a few blocks in the way: 1. I have a very limited budget. I can afford shops like Penney's, Dunnes, New Look, A-Wear etc but none of the expensive ones. 2: I have an extremely negative self image, fuelled largely by an extremely critical mother. I'm slightly overweight, and if I wear anything remotely fitted, she tells me I look fat. So I've come to hate shopping, because I feel like I'll never find anything that will look good. This is where you come in!

I'm hoping that if I accurately describe my shape and size, you knowledgeable and fashionable people can help me pick out some suitable styles of clothing. I'm 5'5 with a medium to large frame. I weigh about 160lbs, and carry most of the weight around my stomach. That being said, I'm a sort of hourglass shape, or a Vase according to Trinny & Susannah. I've a shapely enough waist, and my hips aren't huge or anything. I wear a size 12-14, depending on the shop and item. I have a flat bum, and muscular legs (so, chunky calves). There's not much fat on my legs, but I'd never wear skinny jeans because I think they'd look awful. I'm a 36D, and prefer low-cut tops. I think shirts would look good, but I always find that if they're to fit on the boobs, I need to get a size 16 and it's too big on the rest of me. I'm not a huge fan of high hees unless it's for a special occasion - I work on my feet most days.

I'm so very self conscious of my stomach, that's the main thing. I'm pretty sure I should be wearing structured items, but I just find myself in shapeless floaty things. I'd never wear a waist belt, because I think they'd make me look pregnant. Any and all suggestions will be so appreciated!

I have obviously created an alt. account to post this, because it's really personal for me, and I don't want it being connected to my main account :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

What sort of style /clothes would you wear if you had the 'ideal' figure out of curiosity..what styles do you admire?

Obv, firstly you need to feel good in what you wear but it might help to know a bit... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Styleiser

I guess the first thing to say is you are not alone - most women have an issue with their tummy area. My advice is to dress in such a way to draw attention (the eye) away from the problem area, in your case your tummy. There's a few simple tricks to bear in mind, do that and then shop according to your own style and taste. Great thing about it once you know, it's not about budget more a case of being choosy about cut/shape of items you're buying.

Sounds like you've a great chest. I'd say avoid cowl/round cut necks - opt for V neck cuts which will bring more definition to your chest and draw the eye (diverting from the tummy area).

Avoid high waisted jeans / trousers. These cover too much of the tummy area and can make it appear like a large mass of bulk. You'd be better to break it up by wear lower cut trousers, skirts etc. Also any tops that are too flouncy don't cover up but instead create the impression of more mass and less definition.

Dress to define your curves and cinch in your waist. It's all an illusion, emphasise your thin waist and shapely boobs and your tummy will instantly appear smaller.

Colour versus Pattern: here's where you can be really clever. Pattern tends to distract the eye and not allow it to focus on one area so good used to pattern over problem areas and really minimise any issues. Be aware of scale though - a really large pattern can make you look bigger than you are so just keep in mind.

Also colour blocking is very effective and striking. Wear darker colours on problem areas and brigher colours on the areas you want to attract the eye too - simply visual trickier that works a treat!

This might be of interest to you http://www.helpmystyle.ie/dressing-for-your-shape

I hope thats of some help. Get simple tricks like this right and you're already off to a great start. Clothes are only the first step, most important is your self confidence and how you hold yourself. Be proud and be fabulous!!! :D You sound like a lovely person.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you want to wear a shirt would you consider wearing say a plain top underneath and just leaving the buttons over you chest open revealing the top? Any girl with a chest has a problem with shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Styleiser

There are a couple of tricks for bigger busted women to bear in mind when wearing shirts which as you say can be tricky.

When looking for shirts I'd choose a slightly longer shirt which will lengthen your torso and slim your waist, bringing your shape into balance. Wearing a top that is too short will, in effect, squish your hips and bustline together giving you a roundish look. By breaking it up, you give added definition to your figure. Extra Length does not mean extra baggy. A good fitting shirt will emphasis all your curves and give a great silhouette.

Anything with too high a neck line or even polo neck creates the impression that your bust starts below your chin and it appears like a large solid mass. Better to break it up and create definition. I'd recommend avoiding anything with too much detail around the bust (frills, lace on collar etc) as these tend to add bulk where you don't want it. Go for V-neck, sweetheart, low-cut square, and plunge neckline which flatter big busts (again these break up the chest into smaller more manageable pieces. It separates and defines your bustline). Wearing Tee's and tank tops underneath are great for covering up too much cleavage.

Wearing three-quarter length sleeves (or simply rolling sleeves up slighty) can be very stylish is also a good trick for drawing the eye away from bust. :)

Advertisement