Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Trainer - Wexford Area?

Options
  • 25-12-2009 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi, anybody know of a good dog obedience trainer in the Wexford area?

The folks have a boxer and although she's great fun (and a walking dister zone) she's very protective. This can lead to issues when people visit if she doesn't know them.

She's never bitten anybody or anything but can become aggressive and naturally thats not something that we want.

Ideally, I think she probably needs to go for a couple of days with the trainer as we've previously had somebody come for a couple of hours and she plays along when the trainer is there but throws it all out the window when the trainer is gone :rolleyes:. She's about 4 by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

we've previously had somebody come for a couple of hours and she plays along when the trainer is there but throws it all out the window when the trainer is gone :rolleyes:.

Thats conditional training, when she only behaves under certain conditions, she knows when to be good, and when she's off the hook!

its not the dog that needs training, its the owner, as she will only obey the trainers commands and then will prob misbehave when she gets back to you!!

Your best off going to classes with the dog, or having the trainer teach you how to train the dog.

A lot of the time its a lot cheaper to just get a really good dog training book and investing a significant amount of time into reading the book and working with the dog, it'll be more rewarding and better for bonding with the dog!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 AbigailE

I know of one that a friend used
    I'll pm her details

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Greenhornet, I would agree with vote john. You need to get a trainer to the house, or visit a trainer with the dog. A trainer might be able to have the dog jumping through hoops for them, but they will quickly revert to how they were with your parents if the commands are not kept up or given in the same way.

If your parents for some reason can't go to classes with the dog, could you do it, learn the techniques and then teach your parents? It would work a lot better than sending him off to be trained IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dog lover21

Hi

Your right to get it sorted out as soon as possible.

We had a similar problem with out mastiff and we heard of a trainer in wexford goes by the company name Druid Dog Training. They are very good and their prices are resonable.
    Yous should give them a shout cos they fixed our dogs prob!!

Best of luck:)

Advertisement