Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Left Midfield

• 25-12-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Given that it looks like a 4-4-2 is being voted for, it looks like we'll be picking the best right sided, left sided and two best central players, then two strikers. While we quarrell over how to sort the centre out (ie one dm and one am) lets get the wingers out of the way shall we?

Happy Xmas to all by the way and thanks to all who have contributed.

LM of the year? 64 votes

Nasri
    0%
    Young
    4%
    OPENROADpaul150x PyRo 3 votes
    M. Taylor
    29%
    PHBSamuraiV9ChongT-b0n3matrimHolstenFuzzy_DunlopDSBOne Cold HandHank ScorpioEire-Deargjethro081SimpleLogicpostalservicex43r08-10UpTheSlashersglanman 19 votes
    Gamst Pedersen
    0%
    Malouda
    0%
    Pienaar
    1%
    greendom 1 vote
    Duff
    3%
    ciaran76The Volt 2 votes
    Geovanni
    1%
    Ferris_Bueller 1 vote
    M. Petrov
    0%
    Giggs
    0%
    Riera
    54%
    RasTaBounty HunterhusseylordgoatIagowhatnextPeyton ManningironictoasterMementoMorim83genericgoonMagicMarkercurry-muffflahavajAn CiteogSmegballKess73Y2J_MUFCSRFC90Kev_ps3 35 votes
    Kranjcar
    0%
    Stanislas
    4%
    JazzyCantGetNoSleepflyswatter 3 votes
    N'Zogbia
    0%
    Malbranque
    0%
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

No poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Duff
    Average-Ro wrote: »
    No poll?
    takes me a while to think of all the left mids mate ;)

Duff
    I've gone for Steven Pienaar. (Yes I'm an Everton fan)

While Aston Villa and Young had their off-spell towards the back end of last season, Pienaar was firing Everton up the table. He formed a fantastic partnership with Baines and the two of them were our biggest attacking threat with the absence of Arteta. This season he's already showing world class capabilities, like he did in the Confederations Cup and I can only hope we pin him down to a new deal. He's also a massively influential player for us who drives the attack forward. His work rate in phenomenal and has fabulous ball control. A shoe in IMO, I just hope Moyes keeps him on the left instead of Bilyaletdinov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

M. Taylor
    Young

Duff
    Young
    Obvious choice but wrong IMO. Villa's dreadful slump towards the end of 08/09 seems destined to be forgotten here. Pienaar ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Young
    Nasri.

Duff
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nasri.
    Any particular reason other than your colours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Riera
    While Giggs' contributions in the last year gave been overrated in my opinion, he is still the standout name on that list. Not really too many names jumping out at me from it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Riera
    I went for Giggs although is he really a left midfielder still?

Thought he played more in the middle these days.

Doesn't matter, he deserves to be in the team anyway.

Duff
    Seriously what on earth characterizes Giggs as the best EPL left back of 2009? Nasri, Young, Pienaar and Malouda all performed well in that role, a role he doesn't even consistently appear in anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Craig Bellamy ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Young

hes played about 5 good games on the left wing this year

looking a far better player in the fluid 3 where he can play left right or middle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Stanislas
    went for lil' niko :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Riera
    unfortunately it probably should be Giggs.

not too many stand out there; with Pienaar the only real competition. Young has been average enough in 2009, and shouldn't have won that Young Player of the Year Award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Voltwad wrote: »
    takes me a while to think of all the left mids mate ;)

Sorry, no pressure:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No modric? I voted for him(other) tbh as he just gets better and better

Duff
    No modric? I voted for him(other) tbh as he just gets better and better
    I thought about putting him in the poll but I noticed he played CM a lot especially when Kranjcar came in

Duff
    SlickRic wrote: »
    unfortunately it probably should be Giggs.

not too many stand out there; with Pienaar the only real competition. Young has been average enough in 2009, and shouldn't have won that Young Player of the Year Award.
    Completely disagree. Malouda was like a new signing when Hiddink came in although he's only featured bit part this season. Pienaar, for reasons I already stated. Kranjcar, solid for Spurs and Pompey, I think N'Zogbia stood out for Wigan and Taylor at Bolton too. I think it's narrow minded and downright lazy to pick Giggs.

No offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

M. Taylor
    No real stand out candidates in this position to be honest. Nobody's really made it their own. Giggs I guess, and he has played LW most of the time, putting in some good performances, but lots of poor ones aswell I think. Young is a good bet, but he was poor towards the end of last season. I went with Young anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Riera
    Giggs surely, the only standout left mid of 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pienaar
    Completely disagree. Malouda was like a new signing when Hiddink came in although he's only featured bit part this season. Pienaar, for reasons I already stated. Kranjcar, solid for Spurs and Pompey, I think N'Zogbia stood out for Wigan and Taylor at Bolton too. I think it's narrow minded and downright lazy to pick Giggs.

No offence.
    Agree with much with what you said and especially Malouda. Not sure what the guy needs to do to get a regular berth in the Chelsea line-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

M. Taylor
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nasri.

Nah man. At the very end of last season i was really impressed with his performances, but tbh most of the time he hasn't met his expectations this year. I fully expect him to really come into his own in the future but not quite yet imo.

There aren't too many really quality choices here. However I went with Young because he seems to able to offer the necessary abilities you expect from a winger(pace, crossing ability/set plays, goals) and on a fairly consistent basis, even if he doesn't play the LW position every game.

Riera

No offence.

none taken.

malouda - no. too inconsistent. he improved massively under Hiddink, but still wasn't consistent enough to warrant winning.

kranjcar - ha, just no. he phoned it in for Pompey for most of last season, and has only started playing well since moving. not enough to win it imo.

n'zogbia - you're having a laugh? calling inconsistent is kind. he's probably Wigan's most talented player, but he disappears far too often, and can be very lazy. i do like him, but nowhere near winning the category.

taylor - not quite in the running. though he can hit a dead ball well, and did pop up with the odd goal last year, and is one of Bolton's better players. he's just not consistent enough to be player of the year on the left side.

you can't just give this to people who play kind of well in mediocre teams (in reference to the last 2 there).

pienaar, as i said, is the only other one i can see who can rival Giggs.

unfortunately for him he's been injured recently, which doesn't help his cause. he really stepped up after the injury to arteta, granted, and he's definitely in the running.

i didn't think Giggs deserved POTY last year, but he did play very well when he played. and what's tipped it in his favour is his form at the start of this season, which has been truly sensational. his assist count is impressive, as well as his general play being so composed.

it hurts to say all this about Giggs by the way, because i really thought he was going to fade away at the start of last season.

Duff
    Well Pienaar missed 5 or 6 games through injury and that's it. Giggs can barely play two games in a week anymore. Just because a player plays for a mediocre team it shouldn't rule them out of the running. In Taylor's case, more often than not he's playing against a team with far more talent than his own. If inconsistency is your reasoning for not voting in Malouda, I would argue like PHB, that Giggs had a handful of poor performances as well.

Riera
    Well Pienaar missed 5 or 6 games through injury and that's it. Giggs can barely play two games in a week anymore. Just because a player plays for a mediocre team it shouldn't rule them out of the running. In Taylor's case, more often than not he's playing against a team with far more talent than his own. If inconsistency is your reasoning for not voting in Malouda, I would argue like PHB, that he had a handful of poor performances as well.

and as you'll see, i don't disagree with Pienaar's merits for being chosen.

Giggs did have a bad few games. i just feel overall it tips slightly in Giggs' favour. that's all.

they should be the clear top 2.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Young
    No Arshavin ?. Plays on the left wing for Arsenal most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Riera
    Sir Ryan Giggs, by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Benayoun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Benayoun
    Thats a right good one, he gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Riera
    I've gone for Giggs on this one, I can't deny that he will end up winning this one and rightly so IMO.

Oh and I honestly can't recall the last time Steed Malbranque played on the left side of midfield for us, infact, I guarantee he hasn't for Sunderland or any of his previous clubs.

He's a right midfielder or occasionally he plays off the front man but Kieron Richardson and Andy Reid are the left wingers.

Andy Reid was a surprise ommision from the list for me, considering Dunne seems to be getting a place in this team on the back of a decent opening to this season it seems strange not to include Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

M. Taylor
    Yossi.

But since he isn't there, Young.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Should be Arshavin. He's played 95% of his games this year on the left.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nasri shouldn't be on the poll either btw, I suspect you could count on one hand the number of games he's played on the left in 2009. Since Arshavin arrived he's played on the right or in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah I was thinking Arshavin. Not out and out left wing like in a 4-4-2 formation, but this is probably as close to the position he actually plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

No Nani ? :D

Looks like Giggs will win it so voted other , Nani...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

M. Taylor
    Shoot, I wish to change my vote to Arshavin :( I didn't think of him as a left winger, more of a left wing forward. Same with Robinho I guess.

Advertisement