Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Htc Hero (Orange Branded)

• 25-12-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i recently got a hero which is orange branded, turns out Orange are very bad at releasing updates for the phone and in turn im stuck with the same firmware version on my handset. Is there a way to wipe the phone so it break any ties with orange? I head orange have there own software on the phone which can be uninstalled but i think i need root access for this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Try XDA developers Here and flash back to a stock rom if you need a hand pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Hey brendan id very much like some help with this. It's only a new phone so Im very weary of messing about with it. is there a chance of bricking it ?

there is always a chance of bricking it but if you follow the instructions to the letter you won't , i have unlocked and reflashed my own and its a very simple process i would recommend that you read this and you should be good to go
    steve_ wrote: »
    Hey brendan id very much like some help with this. It's only a new phone so Im very weary of messing about with it. is there a chance of bricking it ?

Thanks brendan, can I ask what will this process allow me to achieve? I'm very new to all this and the step by step guide, although throughout still confuses me

This will allow you to take off all of the orange branding and software and flash a stock or modified rom , normally these roms are tweaked for better performance/graphics you should read the sticky on htc developers to see what is possible but i warn you once you flash your first rom it gets pretty addictive and you could end up flashing 2 - 3 roms a month :)

• Advertisement

cheers again, im gona research it a bit more before i take the plunge and flash my phone. Is 2.0 out yet for the hero?

if i do downgrade will this then allow me to download the updates directly from htc opposed to orange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

cheers again, im gona research it a bit more before i take the plunge and flash my phone. Is 2.0 out yet for the hero?

No official Android 2.0 for the Hero yet, but there is a leaked ROM (which isn't very good) out and I believe a few user ported 2.x ROMs out which aren't very good either.

For modded standard ROMs I would stick to MoDaCo's custom ROM - was great when I was using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

if i do downgrade will this then allow me to download the updates directly from htc opposed to orange

Unsure, but at least you will be able to flash anything yea want, which will include dumps of the latest and greatest from HTC whenever they release 2.x ROMs

When i try to do the process in the thread you posted up Brendan i cant get step 3 done because when i click on adb.exe it just flashes up for a split second

• Advertisement

Ok iv flashed the phone and got rid of the Orange branding but I still can't access 3g apps or the internet on my phone. All the correct settings are in place. And its not my sim cause the internet works when I put it in a different phone. Plus I'm always roaming onto other networks for some reason. Iv tried a meteor sim a 3 sim and an o2 one and still no internet access. What could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Ok iv flashed the phone and got rid of the Orange branding but I still can't access 3g apps or the internet on my phone. All the correct settings are in place. And its not my sim cause the internet works when I put it in a different phone. Plus I'm always roaming onto other networks for some reason. Iv tried a meteor sim a 3 sim and an o2 one and still no internet access. What could be wrong

did you set your APN with the correct settings for internet/MMS ??

Yeah all the apn and mms setting are fine. Iv tried a meteor sim in it which had its settings send to the phone and i manually input the 3 and o2 settings which are correct. I cant receive mms messages either. Im bringing it to sigma in finglas on wednesday to let them have a look at it. Im thinking it would be the receiver thats damaged.

Yeah all the apn and mms setting are fine. Iv tried a meteor sim in it which had its settings send to the phone and i manually input the 3 and o2 settings which are correct. I cant receive mms messages either. Im bringing it to sigma in finglas on wednesday to let them have a look at it. Im thinking it would be the receiver thats damaged.

i guess thats a possibility. but its highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I don't think so that there is anything wrong with the phone (in hardware terms). I would say it has to be something really silly (as it is mostly in this kind of situations) some one setting to tick.
    What rom did you flash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

DID you update the SPL to the recommended level also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I think you meant Radio ROM? as far as I know you shouldn't touch SPL, unless you really want.

yeah. touching the SPL is a big NO-NO.
    unless you're forced to by a "perfect SPL" that is.

I'm running mocados Rom. My head is wrecked trying to work out what it is. Im 100% sure that the apn and mms settings are fine.

Ok i went out to sigma wireless today to see if they could have a look at it, turns out they have to send it to the UK which they didnt tell me on the phone when i asked. Also they said all that would be done to it is that they'd flash the rom back to the orange rom and the phone would come back locked. Seems they wanted to cause more problems for me instead of sorting them out. Ok so just to clarify iv got an Orange branded hero which was flashed with mocados rom onto it. Its refusing to pick up any 3g signal and keeps roaming onto another network, im assuming vodafones 2g network. Apn settings are all correct aswell as mms setting. Has anyone any ideas how i can sort this problem, or even know of a place that might fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Hi guys, i know that at home in Belfast, there's loads of different shops where you can just bring your phone in and they unlock it for you which clears all connections with the network and you can use whatever sim you want. It only costs around £5 so maybe you could have a look around and see if there are any shops doing it?

Ah I got it sorted in the end

Advertisement