Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you check your thanks?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I didn't realize I could even check my thanks, never really cared about it all that much tbh, but apparently I've been "Thanked 2,023 Times in 581 Posts."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

whats with all the thanks whoring threads, yes i have been guilty of starting the odd one, but have lost count of all the ones started this week.

check mine along with checking the new posts in thread i have contributed each time i log in, and am happy with my lot

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

About as often as I check my balls for unwelcome growths. Every 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Beasty wrote: »
    You are both wrong. Timbuk2's calculation is the total number of thanks per posts with thanks.

The correct way to look at it is total thanks per total posts

Jumpguy = 1119/2965 = 37.7403%
    Timbuk2 = 769/2079 = 36.9889%

So Jumpguy wins (just)

That makes no sense whatsoever.

I hate hearing 'thanks whoring' throw around, my (and lots of other posters) posts have been the same long before 'thanks' were introduced.

Same with people who go on about post counts - I'd rather they got rid of post counts so we wouldn't have to listen to these nutballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Is there any way that the boards developers can find out if the people who are claiming that they didn't know how to check their thanks or never check my thanks have ever clicked their find all thanked posts link and how often?

A statistical league of shame with a link to the hypocritical post(s) would be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Fairly regularly if I'm honest, because as a teenager I must always know how popular I am on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

after every shower i check my sack for lumps, beard for grey hair and then my boards profile for new thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

6th wrote: »
    after every shower i check my sack for lumps, beard for grey hair and then my boards profile for new thanks.

Fair play for being so healthy!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Fair play for being so healthy!

:D

Well that depends on how often he showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

jumpguy wrote: »
    If you spent a day on After Hours, you'd know we're all just a bunch of thanks-whores, and that's why this forum is a crazy place.

IMO this is what has made after-hours suck. The majority of posts take up the structure of: OP, four or five thanks hunters spitting out witty comments and then a load more posts follow which I guess the majority of posters don't bother reading.

Anyways, I check my thanks every so often. It's nice to see whose in agreeance with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I check fairly unregularly. Instead, I check the threads I've commented in for more comments. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

never, the "thanks" thing has made boards a worse place

never, the "thanks" thing has made boards a worse place

Has it not helped people from taking things off topic?
    They just hit the thanks button to show they like a comment
    I'm new enough here and don't know how long the thanks thing has been going?

Has it not helped people from taking things off topic?
    They just hit the thanks button to show they like a comment
    I'm new enough here and don't know how long the thanks thing has been going?

Ye in theory it's good, but on boards it's usually used for people trying to be funny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Checked it now, ever do disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That makes no sense whatsoever..
    :confused:
    Ye in theory it's good, but on boards it's usually used for people trying to be funny
    After Hours isn't boards. After Hours is one of the few forums where thanks can be seen as a bad thing. In alot of other forums, it's great and rewards helpful or actually funny posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I've never checked it. Don't really care enough to.

jumpguy wrote: »
    :confused:

After Hours isn't boards. After Hours is one of the few forums where thanks can be seen as a bad thing. In alot of other forums, it's great and rewards helpful or actually funny posts.

It doesn't reward anyone, it gives people with big heads even bigger heads. The thanks button is on par with txt spk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

It doesn't reward anyone, it gives people with big heads even bigger heads. The thanks button is on par with txt spk

Only on AH really, on the other forums I frequent, thanks are just a nice gesture, not an ego thing.

Is there anyway to see which posts of yours have the most thanks? There should be an option to list the thanks in your stats not by date, but by number of thanks.

/potters over to feedback.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think thanks are a great feature on boards.

If I'm trying to speed-read a thread, the posts with the most thanks are usually the ones worth reading. In serious forums, the most helpful posts have the most thanks. In the light-hearted forums (Humour, AH, Cool Vids.& Pics) the funniest posts have the most thanks, again speeding up the process of reading threads.

Those who don't like the thanks button - just don't use it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

I hate hearing 'thanks whoring' throw around, my (and lots of other posters) posts have been the same long before 'thanks' were introduced.

Same with people who go on about post counts - I'd rather they got rid of post counts so we wouldn't have to listen to these nutballs.
    A-fucking-men. I wish post count and thanks count were no longer displayed. And I also wish moderators' status was only visible on the forum(s) they moderate.

Dudess wrote: »
    And I also wish moderators' status was only visible on the forum(s) they moderate.

Now that would be kinda good.
    But at same time the links to their forums are below their names, which helps others check these forums out. I know I found new forums that I didn't realise were there as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

meh just like post counts i don't really care for them.

it's just another device for people to stroke their massive egos with tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

the links to their forums are below their names, which helps others check these forums out. I know I found new forums that I didn't realise were there as a result!

Me too.

More importantly though, 22 more posts for you and partaaaay time ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Me too.

I don't do anybody with less than 1k posts

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Me too.

Ha! I couldn't figure out what you meant there but I get it now.

I'll finally hit the 1,000th post tonight.
    Should I make it something profound or just let it be an answer on the Puzzles forum.....?:p

And people will then look and see I've only joined this site in October and think JAYSUS that doll is addicted to boards!! :eek:

No folks. I just LOVE to friggin talk to random strangers.
    Mammy never taught me about - Stranger Danger! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That's why I said it'll be 'partaaay time' for her.

You haven't lived 'till you've been Tar'd ;)

I'm your fiancee! You will do me if I bloody well tell you too!

*stamps foot*

*checks Thanks count*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i never check mine,i wonder what its at now

• Advertisement

I'm your fiancee! You will do me if I bloody well tell you too!

*stamps foot*

*checks Thanks count*
    Not consumating till you have 1k posts!
    only then will I answer the door :p

Advertisement