Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Content Management

Options
  • 25-12-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

So, Im going to start working on a website soon where few web pages will be with content management. Not really sure what is the best approach. I know that websites with content management can be created using Joomla but as far as I can understand it is the best to use Joomla if content management is needed on a whole website. I was thinking of using XML or MySQL database to store information that would need to be managed and PHP to change any information. Anyway, they are only my own ideas and I have no idea what would the best approach be. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be great.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Unless your needs are very specific you're much better off using something like Drupal or Wordpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Wordpress is really easy to use (way easier than Drupal) but I've had Wordpress sites compromised by defacers.
    There are many options out there Mambo, phpNuke, SugarCRM, Drupal wordpress, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Perhaps you might opt to use a framework like CakePHP or Ruby on Rails if you want to develop a CMS rapidly yourself. Otherwise, the only options to you are to code your own CMS, or use a pre-made CMS / Blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to the area of CMS etc. If I have an existing site, is it possible for me to import this site into Drupal (or another CMS) and then just designate the parts I wish to be changable by the user?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you just want to make a site, wordpress is the best choice really. Unless you know specifically why it wouldn't suffice, the odds are very high that it will do all you need, leaving you more time to work on content and appearance. I definitely wouldn't roll my own; and software like Joomla and Drupal might well be overkill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement